Confirmed with Link: Campbell/Clifford to the leafs

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
The Kings are still a basement team with a high number of overpaid, underperforming old players. This trade doesn’t address that issue one bit. Clifford, take what you can and cut ties sure. Campbell? Let’s face facts he was the Kings best goalie this year. But they seemingly can’t or won’t move Quick. This is just such a meh trade. Replace Clifford with Moore, and have Cal in LA. Great, but that isn’t making the team better unless Cal is lights out and actually gets playing time.
Nothing the Kings do this year is going to make the Kings better this year. Accept it, embrace it, roll it up and smoke it. Do what you gotta, but that's just the truth.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Quick has an immovable contract. Even if we retain 50%, the term is too long.

Big name goaltenders just aren’t that valuable anymore. And there’s no contending team on the planet who would want to roll the dice on that many years of an aging, injury prone Quick.

If he was 27 and still putting up solid numbers and starting 60+ a year, we would STILL have trouble moving him. Contract is just too toxic.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Moore is awesome ladies and gents.
I’m sorry he’s gone, but I wish him the best.
You guys made out well. Basically Moore and 2 2nds for a 4th liner UFA and a backup goalie.

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
People are thinking with their heart, not their head. I don't know what was expected for a UFA 4th liner and a backup goalie?
It baffles me honestly. The only players I will be sad about are Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, and Brown. However, that's not me trying to tell anyone you shouldn't feel sad about Clifford. If you feel sad, that's cool, it's a real feeling you have. I've just read some very overly dramatic stuff. Like, comparing the Kings trading Clifford to Kobe Bryant dying? Wtf? Clifford is still alive and well, you should be happy for his new opportunity. Anyways, I'm just happy the team is finally starting to change.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
About time we ripped off the bandaid and did something. I don't hate the return. Really it's an opportunity for picks. I think both teams win. Kings get choices which is what they wanted, no way we get a roster player back in that deal that we want to keep and Toronto gets some sandpaper and more steady net minding. Gonna miss CK big time but really...it's...about...time...LA....did....something.....anything....F......F.....S

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Nothing the Kings do this year is going to make the Kings better this year. Accept it, embrace it, roll it up and smoke it. Do what you gotta, but that's just the truth.

If you aren’t trying to get better daily why bother trying ever? I’m not asking for a playoff team. A stretch of say 5 wins in a row would be nice. Heck a string of 3 games with 100% effort would be a great start.

If this starts the fire sale, great! If this is Blake’s one move for the deadline? Give me a roster of prospects that want to play and are hungry to make it instead of whatever this current garbage is. It can’t be worse than a bunch of broken down has beens doing just enough to collect a paycheck every night.

Last edited:

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
Quick has an immovable contract. Even if we retain 50%, the term is too long.

Big name goaltenders just aren’t that valuable anymore. And there’s no contending team on the planet who would want to roll the dice on that many years of an aging, injury prone Quick.

If he was 27 and still putting up solid numbers and starting 60+ a year, we would STILL have trouble moving him. Contract is just too toxic.

Yes, the term is a big problem. But the real problem with Quick’s contract is the recapture penalty that the Kings would get hit with if he retired early. He has no protection of NMC/NTC. So if a team acquired Quick and was unhappy with him in his final two years, they could send him to the AHL and pretty much give him the choice to play his last two years in the minors for the final $5.5M. But if he retired, the Kings would be hit with a $2.8M recapture in 2021-22 and $3.3M in 2022-23. They face a similar issue with Carter too. So, in Blake’s mind, it might just be more beneficial to keep them for their cap hits and their lower salaries.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
If you aren’t trying to get better daily why bother trying ever? I’m not asking for a playoff team. A stretch of say 5 wins in a row would be nice. Heck a string of 3 games with 100% effort would be a great start.

If this starts the fire sale, great! If this is Blake’s one move for the deadline? Give me a roster of prospects that want to play and are hungry to make it instead of whatever this current garbage is. It can’t be worse than a bunch of broken down has beens doing just enough to collect a paycheck every night.
To get the prospects takes time dude. Building a winning sports team is a long game. Surely you know this. Also don’t know why anyone would believe for a second this trade is the only one the kings are going to make this season.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Quick, with either his play and Kings loyalty has pretty much helped move Bernier, Scrivens, Jones, Kuemper and now Campbell. For the first time I think most can agree Cal Peterson will be staying for awhile.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The Kings are my 2nd team and I'm a bit late to the party but you guys will like Moore. Not a big guy but hes got some bite to his game, can skate, and doesnt look lost offensively. I saw him a bit in his AHL days and you could see how hard he works. I'm sad to see him go tbh. Hes that swiss army knife type that is isnt really special in any particular area of the game but he can work on any line. I think he can be a 20/20 type complimentary type for you guys if he's given enough minutes.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

If this starts the fire sale, great! If this is Blake’s one move for the deadline?
Give me a roster of prospects that want to play and are hungry to make it instead of whatever this current garbage is. It can’t be worse than a bunch of broken down has beens doing just enough to collect a paycheck every night.

You know the deadline isn’t for another couple weeks right? If Blake moves Toffoli and Martinez at the trade deadline and lets Lewis walk in the offseason, the Kings would have five players from their cup runs left on the roster: Kopitar, Carter, Brown, Doughty, and Quick.

First and foremost, next season is already a lost year. With Kovalchuk’s $6,250,000 and Phaneuf and Richards’ almost $5,000,000, the Kings have $11,000,000 just in dead cap.

But next year is an interesting opportunity, because next year, Brown and Carter will only have one more season on the books, and they become MUCH more palatable for teams looking to acquire veteran players at the deadline.

When all is said and done, the Kings will be looking to make the playoffs in 2021-22. Guys like Vilardi, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Grundstrom, and Anderson-Dolan will hopefully be on the team. Fagemo, Thomas, and Kupari will be knocking on the door. Bjornfot, Clague, and Anderson, same thing.

Doughty and Kopitar will be the veteran leaders - Kopitar will have two seasons left on his contract by then - and we may even have some assets to move for some game-changing guys by then, like the Richards and Carter trades.

Long story short, we’re stocking up on draft picks, prospects, and young talent. Don’t expect anything to improve drastically next year either, unless prospects force their way onto the team. As long as the majority of our cap is being spent on aging wingers and a backup goalie, there’s not a lot going for us.

On the plus side, we have the best prospect pool in the league! Another top five pick will certainly help, too! Come on Laf, Byf, Rossi, Drys, or Stutzle!

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
You know the deadline isn’t for another couple weeks right? If Blake moves Toffoli and Martinez at the trade deadline and lets Lewis walk in the offseason, the Kings would have five players from their cup runs left on the roster: Kopitar, Carter, Brown, Doughty, and Quick.

First and foremost, next season is already a lost year. With Kovalchuk’s $6,250,000 and Phaneuf and Richards’ almost $5,000,000, the Kings have $11,000,000 just in dead cap.

But next year is an interesting opportunity, because next year, Brown and Carter will only have one more season on the books, and they become MUCH more palatable for teams looking to acquire veteran players at the deadline.

When all is said and done, the Kings will be looking to make the playoffs in 2021-22. Guys like Vilardi, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Grundstrom, and Anderson-Dolan will hopefully be on the team. Fagemo, Thomas, and Kupari will be knocking on the door. Bjornfot, Clague, and Anderson, same thing.

Doughty and Kopitar will be the veteran leaders - Kopitar will have two seasons left on his contract by then - and we may even have some assets to move for some game-changing guys by then, like the Richards and Carter trades.

Long story short, we’re stocking up on draft picks, prospects, and young talent. Don’t expect anything to improve drastically next year either, unless prospects force their way onto the team. As long as the majority of our cap is being spent on aging wingers and a backup goalie, there’s not a lot going for us.

On the plus side, we have the best prospect pool in the league! Another top five pick will certainly help, too! Come on Laf, Byf, Rossi, Drys, or Stutzle!
Great post.

I loved Clifford but this is a great trade as we get the good value before the conditional pick kicks in. If it does become a 2nd then Blake got Toronto to overpay again and he deserves credit. It’s not a massive franchise changing trade but it’s not expected to be. Our rebuild will be underpinned by the cumulative effect of the smaller deals, these will create the foundation to make the big impact moves later on.

Losing 30 games of Clifford will not hurt the development of a single player on this team as that type of character influence mostly khas an impact over many seasons. As has been said if he is that key we can resign him and I would not have a major issue with that if it were just a year. However, firstly I prefer to move forward and not look back and It has to be a ‘New LA Kings’ that we see develop here. Also, bringing him back does not help because if he did come back he would want term (3+ yrs) and that would be a big problem down the line. Most of the people complaining about losing him now would flip out at the contract, esp term, that it will take to resign him.

Reactions: crassbonanza

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Great value for some spare parts.

If that 3rd turns into a 2nd, LA will have a great chance at drafting a good player. That is Toffoli value.

I thought Clifford was worth basically nothing and Campbell a 3rd.

We end up with a pair of picks and solid 4th liner as it seems.

Toronto will have a good one with Campbell.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

If Quick fit that category, we wouldn't want to see him gone to begin with.

Quick, with either his play and Kings loyalty has pretty much helped move Bernier, Scrivens, Jones, Kuemper and now Campbell. For the first time I think most can agree Cal Peterson will be staying for awhile.

Petersen is cheap enough, for long enough, and Quick is, slowly, getting to the back end of his contract. The only issue is Petersen isn't really young. He's going to be a UFA when Quick has 1 year left. To buy Quick out in 2022, the Kings save $1.7m on the cap for 22-23. Not an issue if Petersen isn't good, and a lot of other guys will be gone by then anyway.

There's a reason Quick's deal was/is called a lifetime contract. They made that bed in 2012, and they were always going to be squeezed by it, one way or another. At the very least, his salary drops by 50% next year, so financially speaking, if Petersen can play, it'll be easier to start nudging Quick out of a few more games every week or month.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The Kings are my 2nd team and I'm a bit late to the party but you guys will like Moore. Not a big guy but hes got some bite to his game, can skate, and doesnt look lost offensively. I saw him a bit in his AHL days and you could see how hard he works. I'm sad to see him go tbh. Hes that swiss army knife type that is isnt really special in any particular area of the game but he can work on any line. I think he can be a 20/20 type complimentary type for you guys if he's given enough minutes.

sounds kinda like a lewis replacement...once lews is moved

Reactions: lumbergh

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Great value for some spare parts.

If that 3rd turns into a 2nd, LA will have a great chance at drafting a good player. That is Toffoli value.

I thought Clifford was worth basically nothing and Campbell a 3rd.

We end up with a pair of picks and solid 4th liner as it seems.

Toronto will have a good one with Campbell.

I think the deal is fair. I had Campbell as a 3rd and thought Clifford could bring a 2nd, especially with retention.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I have been thinking about the rumors that Martinez was going to be included in the deal a(but they couldn't make the $$ work)
Makes me wonder what else would have come back to us

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I have been thinking about the rumors that Martinez was going to be included in the deal a(but they couldn't make the $$ work)
Makes me wonder what else would have come back to us

Apparently the Leafs did not have interest in AMart...

"TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun noted, however, the Maple Leafs were not interested in Alec Martinez as negotiated Wednesday's trade with the Kings for Jack Campbell and Kyle Clifford."

FWIW, they just lost Ceci and Reilly has been out for some time.

Countdown to TradeCentre: Could the Toronto Maple Leafs shelve Morgan Rielly until playoffs? - TSN.ca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad