Camp surprises

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Neither Horvat or Shink were ready last year, I was surprised at the number of people lamenting the fact that they didn't get 9 games.

I do think Horvat could be ready this year but he will have to earn it, this doesn't strike me as a management group that is going to force or rush a prospect, or give him anything he hasn't earned.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
That seems like a big risk for relatively small gain to me, personally. You're not going to use up all your prospect callups due to injury anyways, and I doubt the difference between getting to call up Gaunce as opposed to Fox on a callup for a few games is going to change the course of the season very much.

Vey, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Kenins, Fox, and Archibald seem like more than enough forward prospect depth to carry around in case of callup.

Risking Horvat's development just to have slightly more stacked up call-up depth seems like overkill/greedy to me.

Where's the risk? This is the standard for avoiding risk. If Horvat's not good enough, it's a complete non-factor.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Probably say Horvat will be the surprise.

Not all Canuck fans think he'll make it, but I think he'll be a fixture on the 3rd line between Higgins and Vey.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Since I'm assuming that none of our prospects make the team, I'll throw out some guys that I think may push for a roster spot.

Gaunce- thought he showed well last year, and fits the kind of mold that we seem to want in the bottom 6. A low-events guy who always makes the right play.

Fox- Such a wildcard that I really have no idea what to think of him until he plays against men. If he can find the opportunities to let his shot go, he's a very dangerous player.

Kenins- don't know a ton about him, but from what I've heard and saw from limited games, he showed well against great competition. Also used to playing against men which will give him a leg up on his competition.

I also think Vey has the potential to impress, but I can't say that I know enough about him to make a good call here. The AHL totals are encouraging though.

Have a bad feeling about Corrado tbh

galiano

Mar 12, 2003
why do you ask ?
Visit site
My camp surprise would be Jensen and how mediocre he is. I think he is highly over rated and simply hasn't showed enough to be in the Canucks lineup. He'll be sent to Utica where he belongs.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
My camp surprise would be Jensen and how mediocre he is. I think he is highly over rated and simply hasn't showed enough to be in the Canucks lineup. He'll be sent to Utica where he belongs.

Uh, it's not a surprise if it's expected. I don't think many reasonable fans have Jensen pencilled into a roster spot next season.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
It'll be interesting to see what they do with Horvat... Not sure he'll get much from the OHL, AHL would be perfect for him right now but that's not an option. I wonder if they give him a spot cause at this point playing against men may be better for his development.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Skating can be noticably improved in some cases only. Kassian did it, Hodgson not so much. Booth, product of a US system, which I find over the years produces better skaters than the CHL at the high end, was always a good skater. More fair to say that toward his end here he finally recovered more fully from his knee and other injuries.

If your skating is sub par you pretty much have to be a beast in some other capacity to stick around. Eager to see how Gaunce, Horvat and Fox do in this department. Of course being a consistent scorer would probably trump any heavy foot shortcoming.

Fox is actually a VERY fast skater, it's just that you have to chase him with an eagle perched on your arm to get him to move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad