Confirmed with Link: Cammy and DSP being bought out

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Wasn't DSP the one who had that massive lazy gaffe in the final minutes of a tied game in the latter part of the season? I think Hynes called him out on it in the presser.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
DSP is even odder, as he only had 1 year left at ONLY $1.35M and it's not like he's completely useless. Almost makes me wonder if he has "issues" we dont know about.

They just didn't have a use for him and wasn't his effort level questioned or Hynes spoke to him about raising his effort at one point. No point in keeping him around either way regardless of how cheap his salary was, he was useless.

Both he and Cammalleri were healthy scratched last season so who knows if there was more stuff behind closed doors.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2017/02/devils_michael_cammalleri_displeased_with_healthy.html

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Not hard to replace DSP with a younger body who makes even less. Getting rid of DSP opens up a spot for some youngsters to compete for a spot.

You still need guys to be healthy scratches and stay in reserve, don't necessarily want the kids doing that.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
For now I'm filing this under "clearing deadweight" rather than "omg we're acquiring everyone", but we'll see.

I would agree...but the timing is what makes it interesting. It's not as if these guys were bought out first chance this offseason after the expansion draft and it happened a week after the NHL draft right before FA.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Shero mentioned that he was going to rid himself of the players who didn't show the effort level that they preferred. DSP seemed like a no brainer. I never thought Cammy's effort level was necessarily a problem, but I'm sure things got a bit sour during his epic goalless drought and healthy scratch.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Shero mentioned that he was going to rid himself of the players who didn't show the effort level that they preferred. DSP seemed like a no brainer. I never thought Cammy's effort level was necessarily a problem, but I'm sure things got a bit sour during his epic goalless drought and healthy scratch.

So I could see Henrique being traded for Galchenyuk then considering our biggest problem with him this season was laziness and being S.A.W.F.T soft.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Where are the doom and gloom posters who would rather still be in 2014 who are always pissed off at management for not doing everything to improve the team. :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Shattenkirk, Galchenyuk, and Kovy incoming?

More likely due to us drafting Hischier and Quenneville/Blandisi being close to NHL ready and we were running out of spots at C/LW.

C: Zajac, Henrique (LW possibly), Zacha (LW possibly), Blandisi (LW possibly), Hischier
LW: Hall, Quenneville, Wood

Cammy had to play at RW last year due to the overflow of LWs towards the end of the season.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Wow! Holy coincidence..

Cammalieri just scored a goal against Carolina on the game replay that MSG+ has on right now

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Well he just scored again so I think you're right.

MSG+ clearly knew this buyout was coming today :sarcasm:

Fond memories of that game. I was returning from Tampa Bay from the Devils Lightning game. I flew to JFK and had a 6 hour layover before my flight to Portugal that same night. I was on the floor outside the terminal streaming that game on my phone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad