Confirmed with Link: Cammy and DSP being bought out

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
what, no separate thread for buying out DSP?

Nope, he doesn't merit his own thread :laugh:

I'm not surprised either is gone given you figured heads were going to roll after the season ending pressers but happening on the eve of FA does make you go hmmmm

rrekaj13

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
I wish we could have found a way to recoup assets for both, but I'm sure Shero has been exploring those options for a while now.

Edit: the tweet below confirms, he must be VERY unattractive for teams. Brutal

rrekaj13

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
Holy ****.

I'm kind of sad, it sucks to see Cammy having fallen out of favor so fast because he was really playing incredible hockey for the first year and a half he was here.

He was always a favorite of mine, so I'm disappointed this is how it ended here.

Ditto this. He's also a great professional and role model for the kids, he just can't keep up in the NHL at this point. He would be a great mentor / assistant coach

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
You all honestly don't think that his play wasn't greatly affected by his daughter being sick? He started slow and then started tearing it up before his leave. Wasn't the same player after that.

He's much better than he showed the second half of the season.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I nominate DSP for the randomest, most non-representative hot streak ever. It's like he was possessed by John LeClair for 13 games after arriving here, and then turned back into a pumpkin this year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You all honestly don't think that his play wasn't greatly affected by his daughter being sick? He started slow and then started tearing it up before his leave. Wasn't the same player after that.

He's much better than he showed the second half of the season.

I thought his daughter was better and completely out of the woods by the time he came back. It shouldn't have factored into his second half if that's the case. First half I'd buy it.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
This was my first thought. Big time move to show they're willing to eat money.

Unless Shero is prepared to take on a ton of salary I think we should of waited another year to do this.

Here are the salary implications.

https://capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/mike-cammalleri

Why? There's so much space for the next 4 years it'd be silly not too. He's not that guy anymore and he only plays half the season.

It's a great move.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I nominate DSP for the randomest, most non-representative hot streak ever. It's like he was possessed by John LeClair for 13 games after arriving here, and then turned back into a pumpkin this year.

At least we still won the Matteau trade based on those 13 games alone haha

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Bobby Farnham in 2015 would be up there too. Dude even got his own goal song :P

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Not gonna lie, I didn't see Cammalleri getting bought out. Like at all.

It only makes sense if they truly believe he's 100% shot, as opposed to just having a poor season, because it's a 4 years $1.67M hit. I'd rather have waited to see if he could rebound to 20 goals-per-year form, but perhaps Devils brass knows there will be no rebound.

DSP is even odder, as he only had 1 year left at ONLY $1.35M and it's not like he's completely useless. Almost makes me wonder if he has "issues" we dont know about.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
It only makes sense if they truly believe he's 100% shot, as opposed to just having a poor season, because it's a 4 years $1.67M hit. I'd rather have waited to see if he could rebound to 20 goals-per-year form, but perhaps Devils brass knows there will be no rebound.

DSP is even odder, as he only had 1 year left at ONLY $1.35M and it's not like he's completely useless. Almost makes me wonder if he has "issues" we dont know about.
I would say he's borderline completely useless. Would rather see someone else develop in his spot. Not like we gave up anything of value for it.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

he's always seemed like a darker kind of guy tbh, i wouldn't be surprised if he was dragging ppl down

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I think a lot of this goes back to the end of season pressers and Shero/Hynes harping on compete level. It was obvious even then these were two of the guys who were being referred to.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario

Not hard to replace DSP with a younger body who makes even less. Getting rid of DSP opens up a spot for some youngsters to compete for a spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad