Speculation: Cammalleri Possible Extension

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
This would be most unwelcome news.

Although this could be similar to what the Oilers did with Hemsky a couple of seasons ago - they wanted to trade him but couldn't get what they considered fair value in return, so they ended up re-signing him to a two year deal.

The problem with signing Cammalleri is that it virtually ensures that one or both of Gaudreau and Baertschi are traded because there's no way the Burke will be okay with three or four (including Hudler) sub 6' players in the top six.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
A few different places said he signed, Shnarped being one of them, but doesn't look like it.. Sounds like Russel is close though! Yay

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
This would be most unwelcome news.

Although this could be similar to what the Oilers did with Hemsky a couple of seasons ago - they wanted to trade him but couldn't get what they considered fair value in return, so they ended up re-signing him to a two year deal.

The problem with signing Cammalleri is that it virtually ensures that one or both of Gaudreau and Baertschi are traded because there's no way the Burke will be okay with three or four (including Hudler) sub 6' players in the top six.

Wouldn't be a shock if they traded Hudler though.

Flames7676

Jun 17, 2013
Alberta
I don't get why they would resign him yet. I would have waited to closer or after the deadline and see what other teams would be offering for him.

Sep 12, 2012
Not sure why you guys want Hudler traded, he's got the best contract of the 3.

Stempniak can go somewhere else for a bag of pucks, he's too streaky to be useful.

Cammalleri is clearly unhappy in Calgary. He wants to win with a contender. He's clutch in the playoffs, which obviously isn't happening anytime soon with the Flames. Plus, he'll get the best return unless Burke somehow demands too much.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Not sure why you guys want Hudler traded, he's got the best contract of the 3.

Stempniak can go somewhere else for a bag of pucks, he's too streaky to be useful.

Cammalleri is clearly unhappy in Calgary. He wants to win with a contender. He's clutch in the playoffs, which obviously isn't happening anytime soon with the Flames. Plus, he'll get the best return unless Burke somehow demands too much.

Really? How do you arrive at this?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'm not worried. Chances are Burke leaked this information so that he doesn't look desperate in the trade market.

Or maybe Burke is focused on finding us a GM, so he's keeping the tea as is until that time.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I'm happy either way (trade or signed for 2-3 years) as long as he doesn't walk away for nothing in July.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I'd be surprised if Hudler is traded at the deadline.

Players with large continuing cap hits are hard to fit into a contender's continuing cap budget. They usually look for rentals.

Now, the ability to keep some cap hasn't been utilized to any great degree yet ( Versteeg to Chicago comes to mind).

If Burke will keep 50% of Hudler's cap hit for the duration of the contract, it opens up a huge number of teams that would have Hudler as an affordable addition long term.

And open up a real nice return to Calgary.

Calgary's owners have always supported their team financially, so I'm guessing that Burke has that flexibility if needed.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
N

From what I've heard, he likes Calgary and Calgary likes him.

He wouldn't be in extension talks if he wanted out at all costs.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I would get over it if we resigned Cammy. That would just mean Stempniak is the odd one out, obviously . Bouma has made him expendable I think. Bouma does much better then Stempniak without the puck, his offensive game is coming along. He is gaining more and more confidence as the season goes along. It's not as bad as we think it is. Burke will just do some magic at the deadline or something and everyone will be fine.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I feel pretty meh about Cammy resigning with the Flames. The only way its okay in my books is if no one was offering a first or equivalent.

fallsviewafro*

Cammy is a fierce competitor who has a great attitude. I definitely want someone who's not afraid of calling out his (former) teammates for being lazy sacks of **** being a veteran presence in the locker room. Something like this is what Edmonton lacks, and we all know about Edmonton.

Either way, I'm OK with it. If he gets a good return in a trade, great. If he stays around to mentor the young guys, great. I know it sounds like a weak cop-out when we "should" be selling everything for picks, but I'm OK with this. My guess is that given his weaker season, nobody wants to pay what Burke is asking for so he's going for a contract extension instead.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
The way Hudler is playing he could likely net a huge return in a trade.
If the market isn't there for Cammy I'd be happy to see him re-signed and another forward made available at the deadline.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
14. Hearing New Jersey, looking for forward help, is interested in Mike Cammalleri. Do the Devils have what Calgary wants to get this done? No first-rounder this year, so they probably wouldn't want to move a second-rounder, either. And teams are loathe to move their 2015 first-round picks (Connor McDavid).

I love that they just put "Connor McDavid" in parentheses at the end. :laugh: 'Nuff said.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Im not sure we can get what Hudler is worth to us on the trade market. I don't think Cammy fits on the team anymore. I think it's best for us and him if we move him at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad