Speculation: Cammalleri Possible Extension

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Kypryos just said on insider trading Burkes first choice would be to extend Cammy, if nothing can get done the asking price would be a 1st and prospect.

I think if a deal does get done Hudler is trade bait for sure.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
sloth-no.gif

Would not see the point of keeping one of our most tradeable assets during a rebuild.

If he's kept, I think we're diving hard into free agency in the summer.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This may make sense, Hudler probably has more value and I can't see Burke keeping both. I'd say it's a similar to keeping Russell over Wideman, Wideman would bring back more in a trade.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
What's Burke supposed to say? He doesn't want be here, he's pretty much on cruise control till he hits UFA status...what's your best offer? That'll drum up some value lol!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What's Burke supposed to say? He doesn't want be here, he's pretty much on cruise control till he hits UFA status...what's your best offer? That'll drum up some value lol!

We're supposed to make it publicly known that we asked for a list of teams, that he told us of two teams he's willing to be traded to, make sure that it is public knowledge which two teams those are and that Cammy will walk if he gets to free agency, meaning we are desperate to trade him for whatever we can get.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
We're supposed to make it publicly known that we asked for a list of teams, that he told us of two teams he's willing to be traded to, make sure that it is public knowledge which two teams those are and that Cammy will walk if he gets to free agency, meaning we are desperate to trade him for whatever we can get.

I'm sure those two teams would give us a great offer, regardless!

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Said the exact same thing about Stempniak. I would eat a dozen hats if he ended up re-signing all three of Stajan/Cammy/Stemps, and Stajan is already in the bag.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Would not see the point of keeping one of our most tradeable assets during a rebuild.

If he's kept, I think we're diving hard into free agency in the summer.

We are still going to need some skilled players next year, not to mention I think if we do resign Cammy then we most likely shop Hudler who is probably more valuable to other teams right now.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Calgary is in a much needed and serious rebuild.

I hear people when they say we "need skill players for next year", but what we really need is "skill players for 5 years from now".

While extending Cammy may make us better next year, his real value is to make us better 5 years from now.

He won't be productive then, so trade him and get us another 1st round pick. That's his greatest value to us.

If you then want to bring him back as a UFA, talk to him then.

But Burke needs to be focusing on making us better long term, not for a few years.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If they cannot get a good return, or he still wants to be here. I would be completely fine with signing him. Just no NTC plz.

If we keep Cammy though I imagine Stemps and possibly Hudler are gone though.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I wonder what Mike Cammelleri would get on July 1.

He hasn't hit 30 since 09, and hasn't hit 20 for a few seasons but he has a pretty good shot at 20+ this season.

I find the best way nowadays to guess how much a free agent will make is to make your best guess based on the players performance and how much comparable players make. And then multiply the number by 1.5.

I would say Cammy could get 5 years at 4 mill. Sooooo, he will likely get 5 at 6mill per. Pass.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Even though we have guys like Sven, JG, Poirier, Klimchuk in our system, none are locks to top line or even top 6 players for that matter. Cammy is that guy right now. I'm not saying we should keep him, but if he wants to be here and if Burke is hearing from other GM's that he could get more for Huds, then it makes sense to resign Cammy and deal Hudler. Cammy is also a really good leader and a vocal guy. I also think the younger guys really respect him in the locker room because he is the most accomplished forward on our team.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Even though we have guys like Sven, JG, Poirier, Klimchuk in our system, none are locks to top line or even top 6 players for that matter. Cammy is that guy right now. I'm not saying we should keep him, but if he wants to be here and if Burke is hearing from other GM's that he could get more for Huds, then it makes sense to resign Cammy and deal Hudler. Cammy is also a really good leader and a vocal guy. I also think the younger guys really respect him in the locker room because he is the most accomplished forward on our team.

Yep, I agree. I like Hudler a lot but at the end of the day is he is going to get us a better return we should move him and keep Cammy.

fallsviewafro*

I don't get this. Cammy's appeal is his playoff clutch factor, not his game-in, game-out production. Kind of takes away from his appeal as a playoff rental, but who knows... there's a reason I just speculate behind a keyboard. :)

redmile

May 23, 2007
rebuilding

I think there are different approaches to the so called rebuild, its hard to rebuild without something to build around, of course we want to bring in as much young asset as we can, but then again, it would be hard for these kids that we bring into the team to make it without some on ice guidance, and to continue to loose season after season doesn't exactly foster the winning attitude to compete. its easy to sign guys that been in the league for sometime, but its not easy to sign the better players to a team that's rebuilding, I think you still need to surround these kids with guys that knows how to score and play for them to learn from, forget other team's rebuilds, just look at our own "young gun" days, that didn't exactly pan out, except for iggy, which I think he played with better players.

you play a bunch of kids, you teams gonna most likely play like kids, you play a bunch of kids with proven scorers, chances are they gonna learn to do the same...

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
One way a sign-and-trade might be worthwhile in this new CBA is to sign Mike to a megabucks contract, then trade him with a large chunk of retained salary. It would probably maximize his value, but make the owners pull their hair out if we brought it to them as an idea.

JulianHopper*

Re-Sign Mike Cammellari

I think it would be a bit of a no-brainer to re-sign Cammalleri if he wants to stay here.

I like Jiri Hudler but I think it will be him and Backlund that get moved.

I think a lot of Flames fans are overvaluing prospects. Out of all the prospects the Flames have right now I think we'll be lucky to have 2 of them end up as top six players.

More than likely will be Johnny Gaudreau and Emile Poirier.

You still have to ice a competitive team so extending Cammalleri makes a lot of sense.

Flames are going to get a top pick this year so there's another piece and another one next year.

So if you get back a player/prospect and another high pick from a trade this year then all of a sudden the Flames will be looking pretty good.

Plus the possibility that some more of the current prospects like Morgan Klimchuk, Coda Gordan and Keegan Kanzig can make the team next year or the year after.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Might as well resign Cammy, his trade value is basically zilch right now compared to what it should be. If we can trade him for a second round pick or higher though, I'd say we should jump on it because we're not going to get another opportunity like that.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think it would be a bit of a no-brainer to re-sign Cammalleri if he wants to stay here.

I like Jiri Hudler but I think it will be him and Backlund that get moved.

I think a lot of Flames fans are overvaluing prospects. Out of all the prospects the Flames have right now I think we'll be lucky to have 2 of them end up as top six players.

More than likely will be Johnny Gaudreau and Emile Poirier.

You still have to ice a competitive team so extending Cammalleri makes a lot of sense.

Flames are going to get a top pick this year so there's another piece and another one next year.

So if you get back a player/prospect and another high pick from a trade this year then all of a sudden the Flames will be looking pretty good.

Plus the possibility that some more of the current prospects like Morgan Klimchuk, Coda Gordan and Keegan Kanzig can make the team next year or the year after.

I don't think there is much chance any of those guys, especially Coda making the team next year.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Hudler > Cammy.

Would much rather have Hudler on and off the ice for this rebuild.

I am not a fan of Cammy and I have never been. He is more fragile and people have this idea that he plays physical despite his size. He plays almost the same game as Hudler, but I like Hudler more based on attitude and team first attitude.

I really hope he is traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad