Confirmed with Link: Cameron Gaunce to Dallas for Tomas Vincour

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Cap space next year I imagine has a lot of gms a bit gun shy. I don't feel we'll see many more big moves but I could be wrong.

Good point actually, but we have still seen moves with big salary. Bouwmeester for example and he was able to get first round pick. Maybe tomorrow there will be more action.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Good deal...I tend to agree with the overwhelming sentiment here. I like Vincour's size and versatility. At worst he's a 4th line winger and he's got some upside. I like the idea of adding him and Malone as young, strong bottom line forwards by next season.

Wish Gaunce the best, I tend to think his trajectory would look a bit different under different management here but there's no doubt he's regressed this season and I like Vincour's potential to carve a niche at the NHL level better than Gaunce's at this point.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Reading through the Dallas thread on this trade doesn't overwhelm me with confidence.

Vincour sounds like a bit of a project, maybe a 3rd line winger in the future, sounds like his offensive abilities are not very high. Seemed to get the comment from the posters of I'm not going to miss him shooting good chances into the other teams logo, we tend to have a bunch of players who already do this.

Not too bummed about seeing Gaunce gone, he was never going to get a chance here. Hopefully Vincour can be a decent bottom 6 guy for us in the future.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Reading through the Dallas thread on this trade doesn't overwhelm me with confidence.

Vincour sounds like a bit of a project, maybe a 3rd line winger in the future, sounds like his offensive abilities are not very high. Seemed to get the comment from the posters of I'm not going to miss him shooting good chances into the other teams logo, we tend to have a bunch of players who already do this.

Not too bummed about seeing Gaunce gone, he was never going to get a chance here. Hopefully Vincour can be a decent bottom 6 guy for us in the future.

not a bad thing, get some competition for RW next season, considering duke will probably retire, kobasew likely traded, and maybe jones, less likely traded. let this guy and pajamas play for a roster spot next year.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Again, I can only ask...who was the last defensive minded Dman that made his break to the NHL from the AVs AHL system?

The AVs suck at this. The best offensive minded dmen they've "developed" they traded (Shatty) so it'll be real interesting to see how the rest of the kids in the oven do. I just don't understand it. Why can't the AVs develop dmen? Lack of patience or just a preference to go trade anything that might take time away for someone who can pot 10 or 15 goals?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It'd be real interesting to see if Hejduk is now willing to come back for another season in order to help with Vincour's development, much like Jagr was taking him under his wing in Dallas

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Again, I can only ask...who was the last defensive minded Dman that made his break to the NHL from the AVs AHL system?

The AVs suck at this. The best offensive minded dmen they've "developed" they traded (Shatty) so it'll be real interesting to see how the rest of the kids in the oven do. I just don't understand it. Why can't the AVs develop dmen? Lack of patience or just a preference to go trade anything that might take time away for someone who can pot 10 or 15 goals?

We've been over this, to actually have success or failure at something, you have to at least TRY. Unless you believe that drafting guys like Richard Demen-Willaume, Derek Peltier or Gabriel Bourque with 5th-6th round picks is actually TRYING very hard!??

The Avs drafted Gaunce (under Ted Hampson and the previous F.Giguere regime) with a 2nd round pick and he was known as a 2-way guy and he hasn't panned out. That's ONE guy, it's not like the Avs are spending all of their 1st-2nd-3rd round picks on Defensive D-men and they aren't panning out because they can't identify that kind of player, they are just not selecting that kind of player with their highest picks.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It'd be real interesting to see if Hejduk is now willing to come back for another season in order to help with Vincour's development, much like Jagr was taking him under his wing in Dallas

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. I'm about 99.999999999999999999999999999% sure he's done.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
We've been over this, to actually have success or failure at something, you have to at least TRY. Unless you believe that drafting guys like Richard Demen-Willaume, Derek Peltier or Gabriel Bourque with 5th-6th round picks is actually TRYING very hard!??

The Avs drafted Gaunce (under Ted Hampson and the previous F.Giguere regime) with a 2nd round pick and he was known as a 2-way guy and he hasn't panned out. That's ONE guy, it's not like the Avs are spending all of their 1st-2nd-3rd round picks on Defensive D-men and they aren't panning out because they can't identify that kind of player, they are just not selecting that kind of player with their highest picks.

Actually they've tried to draft d-men almost every single year since 2000. The fact is they simply suck at developing D-Men.

Cohen - #2, 2007 - flop
Elliott - #2, 2009 - maybe
Gaunce - #2, 2008 - flop
Williams - #2, 2006 - flop
Shattenkirk - #1, 2007 - EJ
Siemens - #1, 2011 - maybe
Boychuk - #2, 2002 - flop
Lifton - #2, 2003 - flop

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
Actually they've tried to draft d-men almost every single year since 2000. The fact is they simply suck at developing D-Men.

Cohen - #2, 2007 - flop
Gaunce - #2, 2008 - flop
Lifton - #2, 2003 - flop

Suck at developing, solid at drafting though IMO.

5-8 guys there are gearing up for long careers. And the list doesn't include Barrie.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I hope not. Jagr can still play but Hejduk is finished. At this point it shouldn't even be an option, if he still wants to keep playing the Avs should thank him for everything he has done with this organization and wish him the best with his new team.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
I hope not. Jagr can still play but Hejduk is finished. At this point it shouldn't even be an option, if he still wants to keep playing the Avs should thank him for everything he has done with this organization and wish him the best with his new team.

It's like he forgot to play hockey, or just stopped caring. I wouldn't blame him either way, he's getting up there and the Avs play hasn't been exactly inspiring over the past... 7 years.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's like he forgot to play hockey, or just stopped caring. I wouldn't blame him either way, he's getting up there and the Avs play hasn't been exactly inspiring over the past... 7 years.

He's just old. I think he still cares and is trying to do his best but he doesn't have it anymore. Just like Foote in his last year or two. He was trying his best out there but he was one of our worst players.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
He's just old. I think he still cares and is trying to do his best but he doesn't have it anymore. Just like Foote in his last year or two. He was trying his best out there but he was one of our worst players.

Maybe, seems like a lot of guys can keep it up for years past 34/35yo with workout routines.

I completely understand if Hejduk is done, he's done a tonne for this franchise, but if he still wanted to be a producer in this league he would be.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

I'm not sure if you are trying to pick on me or if you are agreeing with me in an EXTREMELY round-about way. Either way, I'm drunk and no longer really care so you either win for agreeing with me or lose because we are comparing pee-pees and, my friend...there is no contest there. Mine is best.

I wasn't trying to pick a fight with your or anyone else but just more or less trying to point out a GLARING ****ING HOLE IN THE AVS STRATEGY. If you don't at least pay a glancing amount of attention to defenders that stay at home you end up with EJ, Hejda, Wilson, Zanon, O'Brien, O'Byrned and Hunwick locked in to one way contracts for multiple years and no room to bring in younger guys unless you start taking out your own men's knees during practice.

I'm very drunk tonight, so take this with a bit of salt...but seriously, are you agreeing with me or just trying to piss on my drunk parade?

Last edited:

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site

Cohen - #2, 2007 - flop
Gaunce - #2, 2008 - flop
Lifton - #2, 2003 - flop

They've done a fairly decent job of finding offensive minded guys. But not the defensive guys. They tend to not draft defensive only guys early.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
They've done a fairly decent job of finding offensive minded guys. But not the defensive guys. They tend to not draft defensive only guys early.

It'd be interesting to see how many strictly Defensive Dmen have been drafted and started legitimate long term NHL careers in the last 7-10 years.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
It'd be interesting to see how many strictly Defensive Dmen have been drafted and started legitimate long term NHL careers in the last 7-10 years.

Which then brings the arguement, what exactly is a defensive defenseman in juniors? If a guy puts up 20-25 points, is he considered two way or defensive?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad