Cam Ward

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I meet Chris Osgood and Chris Chelios at a Checkers game, Chelios is a dick, Osgood is the goofy kid who talks to everyone.

I've meet a ton of former players when I sat where I did, the scouts was right around the corner from me lol.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
why are none of you talking about him?

thumb_whodat_01.jpg

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
While Cam has been good, the quality of chances against him have been staggeringly lower. 0 breakaways against the Lightning. Back when Cam Ward wasn't good, coincidentally, seemed like 3 a game was the norm.

There definitely seems to have been a shift in philosophy from BP, as we've gone from 5-4 games to 1-0 games. I'd say, guessing, a big part is how aggressive the forwards are on the rush, and holding the zone. Seems like they are playing it a lot safer.

It reminds me a bit of when they went on the 'run' with Justin Peters in net for a while.

Not that Cam is Justin Peters. Just that people seem to ignore how important the other 18 guys on the ice are to the Goalie's stats.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So in goaltenders that have played 10 or more games, he's 13th in SV% and 9th in GAA. If he didn't have that terrible October, he could pushing a top 5 spot at this point.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
While Cam has been good, the quality of chances against him have been staggeringly lower. 0 breakaways against the Lightning. Back when Cam Ward wasn't good, coincidentally, seemed like 3 a game was the norm.

There definitely seems to have been a shift in philosophy from BP, as we've gone from 5-4 games to 1-0 games. I'd say, guessing, a big part is how aggressive the forwards are on the rush, and holding the zone. Seems like they are playing it a lot safer.

It reminds me a bit of when they went on the 'run' with Justin Peters in net for a while.

Not that Cam is Justin Peters. Just that people seem to ignore how important the other 18 guys on the ice are to the Goalie's stats.

I've been trying to watch this closely and can't tell. Wish we had a wider view of the ice so we could see 2 zones

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

100% this. Probably also means we're getting fewer good chances ourselves, but given the holes in the lineup right now, this is the way to play for a while. Try to collect as many points as we can until we're back up to something resembling full strength on offense.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
but i think part of that can go both ways

no need to play aggressive when you know that your goalie can make the saves you want him to make

i think this is how peters always wanted us to play, absolutely suffocating neutral zone and keep shots to the outside

but when you aren't confident that your goaltender can make the routine saves, that system falls apart. gotta take more chances to get an extra goal or two to account for the softie that your goaltender will inevitably let up.

wards played very well these last few games. no softies, and even stolen a couple. yes, the team defense is great, but i think that works both ways. ward looks good because the defense in front of him is solid, defense looks good because they know if they allow a wrister from the boards below the circles itll be saved

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
What they're doing now isn't even close to the **** they pulled during that Peters run. They were essentially putting all 5 skaters in the crease to play goalie.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
This isn't the Peters treatment per se, and it certainly wasn't the case when Cam first got hot. It's certainly closer to that complete collapsing D since Jordan went out though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad