LeBrun: Cam Talbot's agent says "we both stated our position Billy has a lot of think about."

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Hard to say if Guerin tough love approach will work out or not. He is not wrong that Talbot is under contract, but I am pretty sure there is nothing in the contract about being happy. And if Talbot remains unhappy, and it negatively affects his play and the team chemistry, it will be Guerin's failure. If Guerin tongue lashing works and gives Talbot motivation, it will be Guerins victory.

We'll see I guess.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hard to say if Guerin tough love approach will work out or not. He is not wrong that Talbot is under contract, but I am pretty sure there is nothing in the contract about being happy. And if Talbot remains unhappy, and it negatively affects his play and the team chemistry, it will be Guerin's failure. If Guerin tongue lashing works and gives Talbot motivation, it will be Guerins victory.

We'll see I guess.
But Guerin said he liked Cam so all good man. His agent on the other hand…

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
But Guerin said he liked Cam so all good man. His agent on the other hand…

All good assuming there is enough good will left. Agent isn't going rogue with his message either (unless he gets fired?).

Regardless, Talbot and Guerin do not need to like each other, they aren't getting married. It could work even if Talbot hates his guts, as long as he plays well and team chemistry survives.

The point is, Guerin is driving this bus, and I will be curious to see where to...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He’s sending the message that he doesn’t care about his employees. If I were a UFA, I wouldn’t even take calls from him. His comments today were absurd & clown-level.
He is building a winning hockey team and a culture where it's team before player. You'd be seen as a cancer to think you're bigger than the game. Your career would not last long.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Love Guerin's response here. He's absolutely right. He has two experienced goalies under contract at a pretty fair total salary outlay, and he seems to want to run a platoon situation all year.

As for a fat extension for Talbot, why would he want to give one of those out? They have a rook coming up fast and who knows when that guy is going to be ready for backup duties? He might be as little as one year away. Minnesota's goaltending position is very solid.

When he says he doesn't have to do shit, I think he's right and I don't think he particularly wants to make any more moves at the position either. I think he wants to run with both and he wants the flexibility to move on from Talbot in another year's time.

This is an oddly aggressive stance from the agent. You're not getting anywhere with that, and I don't think it's liable to work with Guerin regardless of the situation.

The player's options are to shut up and play; play well and he'll get more starts. Or he can refuse to come to camp, get suspended and forfeit his pay and playing time, and they'll go find another backup.

Wasn't true last year after Fleury was acquired, so why would it be any different this time? Guerin/Evason clearly have their favorite, and its not Talbot, but they need someone to play ~40 games and want cap flexibility for Boldy's next contract. Talbot's the best option for that, and he'll have to deal with it, but I can't blame him or his agent for wanting a better(or fair) situation.

Reactions: Umingmak

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I read the agent's tweet before looking at the dollar figures, expecting it to be something like Fleury signing for $4M, and Talbot making $2M. But they're not all that different. Even if Fleury was signed for double Talbot's salary, they are contracts, and the agent needs to STFU.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Back to Edmonton? Even though the fans ran him out of town when he first left.
He allowed a goal on the first shot of the game an almost unbelievable 14 times that season. Name one fan base that wouldnt be on him? He was like “Markstrom in the playoffs against the Oilers when they got spanked” kind of bad.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I get him being upset, but at the same time he hasn't exactly been a consistent performer and has less experience than Fleury.

His wife sounds a little too vocal about it going off what has been said in this thread. Cam isn't exactly a major star, so she maybe needs to understand a little more realistically where her husband stands in the goalie world.

It would be like a physical 6th defender's wife complaining that her husband didn't get pp and pk time.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
He’s sending the message that he doesn’t care about his employees. If I were a UFA, I wouldn’t even take calls from him. His comments today were absurd & clown-level.
Lmao, this isn't Wendy's. I'm sure players say worse things and use worse language with each other on a daily basis. He cares about winning, like most players, and is willing to pay reasonable amounts of money for his players. That's the extent of the relationship. Yes you would, because he's calling to give you millions.

Players probably also understand...don't start none
KvmFkis.gif

When one party goes blabbing to the media, their liable to get chewed off every once in while via the media. I mean, the original tweet reads like it's coming from his dad telling 'billy' to think before he gets grounded.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad