LeBrun: Cam Talbot's agent says "we both stated our position Billy has a lot of think about."

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Its a mess because they want two good goalies? Talbot just needs to play. Only a handful of teams have a starter good enough to carry a large load and he isnt one of them. Be a good teammate and play.

This. No true contender is sitting back thinking, Cameron Talbot is the workhorse starter we and our key to a Cup.

Guys a headcase. Keep him away from Edmonton. Send him to Buffalo. He can start all he wants there.

Reactions: Tatanka

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I didn’t watch much, but I had both Talbot and Kahkonen (along with hellebuck) on my fantasy team and they got me to the final, within ace of winning at all … so both seemed pretty decent week in, week out
talbot had his/the best march ever for the wild and that's why they went out to get MAF and use him as the primary starter in the playoffs
umm-wait.gif

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Murray @ 50% for Talbot.

Get the Murray/Fleury tandem back together. The history with Billy G is there...

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
He’s mad that Fleury has an extra year on his contract and Cam wants that stability too. Sorry Cam, will need to perform before you get commitment, no reason to remove the proverbial carrot that is a contract year. If these guys do play on top of their games, it is a very good goaltending situation for the Wild, at least regular season. The team did really well last year despite the goaltending. With Fiala gone, we will need the goaltending to switch from worse than expected to better than expected if we want to be a challenger.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I would be careful if I was Talbot, Geurin could send you to Buffalo or Arizona...be happy your team acquired an experienced goalie to help the TEAM

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yup. Talbot wants out and now teams know it. Guerin will get less trade value for Talbot and he has no choice.
But what if Guerin just does nothing? What can Talbot do?

There would be leverage if the Wild wanted to committ to Talbot long term, but what if they don't? What if they are okay having him walking for nothing when the time comes? It's not that strange.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Tough tits, Cam. You’re under contract, and you’re not that special. Don’t like it?? Keep your agents yapper shut and outplay Fleury. Coming off like a spoiled child is never a good look. Guerin has two good, but aging goalies. Wanting them both to platoon is a perfectly defensible position, so Cam and his agent can get bent.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I would imagine the conversation between Talbot and his agent went something like this.

3NJI.gif

Seriously though, it appears that BG legit had plans to rotate both guys, and MAF was well aware of it....a 50/50 split.

I would imagine the conversation between Talbot and his agent went something like this.

3NJI.gif

Seriously though, it appears that BG legit had plans to rotate both guys, and MAF was well aware of it....a 50/50 split.

Those can’t be real teeth

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
His agent and/or Talbot are delusional

I think what Talbot/agent are worried about is playing back up to MAF is going to tank his earning potential on the next contract, which is probably the last big one he's getting in his career.

That's why they're not happy. Which would make sense. They want the security of an extension now I guess or a chance to go elsewhere where he can start.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I think what Talbot/agent are worried about is playing back up to MAF is going to tank his earning potential on the next contract, which is probably the last big one he's getting in his career.

That's why they're not happy. Which would make sense. They want the security of an extension now I guess or a chance to go elsewhere where he can start.
Talbot isn't getting another big contract. He's 34 and a replacement level goalie, if not worse. If he wants a trade or more money, it's absurd. He only started playing well after Fleury got here, and now acts like he's too good to share the net.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Talbot isn't getting another big contract. He's 34 and a replacement level goalie, if not worse. If he wants a trade or more money, it's absurd. He only started playing well after Fleury got here, and now acts like he's too good to share the net.

I don't think he wants huge money per se, but he probably is hoping for another like 2-3 year 3 million dollar deal after this one is up and he probably thinks playing back up to MAF is putting that in jeopardy. Gotta make that money while you can because one your playing days are done, you likely are never getting a pay day like that again.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Love Guerin! What a response. Get f***ed entitled agent of entitle player. Ya signed the damn contract, that means you get to play, that doesn’t mean you get to control how the GM handles his goaltending position.

Guerin with the verbal beat down.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Love Guerin's response here. He's absolutely right. He has two experienced goalies under contract at a pretty fair total salary outlay, and he seems to want to run a platoon situation all year.

As for a fat extension for Talbot, why would he want to give one of those out? They have a rook coming up fast and who knows when that guy is going to be ready for backup duties? He might be as little as one year away. Minnesota's goaltending position is very solid.

When he says he doesn't have to do shit, I think he's right and I don't think he particularly wants to make any more moves at the position either. I think he wants to run with both and he wants the flexibility to move on from Talbot in another year's time.

This is an oddly aggressive stance from the agent. You're not getting anywhere with that, and I don't think it's liable to work with Guerin regardless of the situation.

The player's options are to shut up and play; play well and he'll get more starts. Or he can refuse to come to camp, get suspended and forfeit his pay and playing time, and they'll go find another backup.

Reactions: BeaverSports

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad