LeBrun: Cam Talbot's agent says "we both stated our position Billy has a lot of think about."

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't really understand what Minny are doing here. They've really created their own goaltending controversy mess out of thin air for no particular reason. Truly bizarre decisions from the Fleury thing, to trading Kakko to compounding the mistake after it backfired after the deadline.

You've got a good thing going with Talbot...stop messing with it.
Its a mess because they want two good goalies? Talbot just needs to play. Only a handful of teams have a starter good enough to carry a large load and he isnt one of them. Be a good teammate and play.

Godkolzin

Oct 19, 2021
I havent noticed or cared about the "Wild" in years. They should trade Talbot and sign Smith so they can have the oldest goaltending duo in history.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
In my opinion the writing was on the wall when Evason said choosing Fleury to start in the playoffs was an "easy decision". Cam's wife, Kelly was not very pleased after hearing that. Cam has said the right things since that time but it clearly bothered him. He's also 35 on the tail end of his career. No way he wants to backup a guy he out preformed and got snubbed for in the playoffs.

Furthermore, the Wild need all the cap space they can get. They would be foolish to tie up almost 3.7 million on a backup when they could get someone decent in the 1 million range.
From all accounts, MN wants to do a split rotation this year so there wouldn't be a starter/backup situation.
And again, I get being disappointed, but his and his wife's attitudes are coming off as petty.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Its a mess because they want two good goalies? Talbot just needs to play. Only a handful of teams have a starter good enough to carry a large load and he isnt one of them. Be a good teammate and play.

If i'm Talbot, i'm annoyed though. I understand that Minnesota's cap situation is extremely tight. And they clearly need more help up front (at Center especially). But instead of doing that...they're spending a bunch of money to retain a guy who i'm going to be competing with to split starts in net?

That's frustrating. When he showed that he could carry the mail for Minnesota. And having a young backup like Kakhonen behind him seemed to do the job for cheap.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think Guerin wants MAF to mentor Wallstedt next year. Thus the 2 year deal.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Based on that quote Talbot and his agent don't sound happy I'm starting to wonder if he might hit the trade market and if he does it looks to me like there are more goalies on the market then there are teams that need goalies

so far we got Kuemper, Campbell, Murray, Allen, possibly Talbot

that's at least 5 goalies and really only 3 teams looking those being Toronto, Edmonton and Buffalo.

the goalie market is getting interesting.
jake allen is a backup, I have no idea why he is grouped with other goalies that are viewed as starters.

murray is a mess.

really you have kuemper, campbell, and possibly gibson and talbot as legit starters available for edm, tor, washington and nj if the devils decide blackwood needs to still move.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
So it's about the money?

it's a bold move to ask for more money when you're clearly getting demoted

1657308868796.png

Sebastien

May 1, 2022
If i'm Talbot, i'm annoyed though. I understand that Minnesota's cap situation is extremely tight. And they clearly need more help up front (at Center especially). But instead of doing that...they're spending a bunch of money to retain a guy who i'm going to be competing with to split starts in net?

That's frustrating. When he showed that he could carry the mail for Minnesota. And having a young backup like Kakhonen behind him seemed to do the job for cheap.
You really didn't watch Talbot last year along with Kaapo kahkonen. Both sucked for a long period of time and the Dallas game beating on national TV forced Guerin's hand to start looking at other G. Minnesota also has long term G of future in wallstedt and veteran presence in Zack mcyntire in ahl. Kaapo was never going to be Minnesota's future

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
1. Talbot would be lucky to have a mentor like MAF.
2. Talbot hasn't proved enough in the NHL to be making those kind of statements.

He should be considering himself lucky. STFU, play with MAF, do well. Easy.
Very confused about the mentor comment.

Isn't talbot the same age as flurry, or close to it. Don't know many 36 year Olds that need a 38 year old mentor...

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I would imagine the conversation between Talbot and his agent went something like this.

3NJI.gif

Seriously though, it appears that BG legit had plans to rotate both guys, and MAF was well aware of it....a 50/50 split.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
I didn’t watch much, but I had both Talbot and Kahkonen (along with hellebuck) on my fantasy team and they got me to the final, within ace of winning at all … so both seemed pretty decent week in, week out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad