NFL: Cam Newton tested positive and is on the COVID-19 list - NE @ KC moved to Monday

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That's probably even worse.
Why do you say that? It's just the reality that people don't want to hear. Every day life for these players are a COVID risk, just like anyone else.

It's definitely worse with someone that would be around more players. KC just has to hope Mahomes didn't get it.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Why do you say that? It's just the reality that people don't want to hear. Every day life for these players are a COVID risk, just like anyone else.

It's definitely worse with someone that would be around more players. KC just has to hope Mahomes didn't get it.

It was inevitable that this was going to happen but I thought it was going to happen later like in November when the cold starts to roll around the country.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

You'd rather have positives on as few teams as possible.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
meh. MLB made it through so far. They will figure it out

You can’t reschedule single weekly games like you can with a daily baseball schedule and the chance those teams will meet again in a few weeks time. The domino effect is too big with cancelled NFL games. Nevermind that the NFL have substantially larger rosters, staff and others to keep a team running. We are at 4 teams impacted, once the NFL hits 10 teams, it becomes way too problematic to keep rescheduling.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
You can’t reschedule single weekly games like you can with a daily baseball schedule and the chance those teams will meet again in a few weeks time. The domino effect is too big with cancelled NFL games. Nevermind that the NFL have substantially larger rosters, staff and others to keep a team running. We are at 4 teams impacted, once the NFL hits 10 teams, it becomes way too problematic to keep rescheduling.

but you don’t have that many games to worry about. 1 per week

again responding to your OP, the season will not be done within two weeks. Too much $$$ at stake

It’s supposed to be next man up, plays. Right now only one starter is positive and I bet if it was some special teams player, they are playing but it’s Cam.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Kudos to nba and nhl. They did a great job with finishing their seasons. Mlb had some speed bumps, but it has worked out well. NFL, they had very little room for error. You can't just postpone a couple games. It's a different beast. I'm curious what happened with mlb players after marlins had an outbreak. I'm sure there are NFL players not taking this serious, but now might.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Kudos to nba and nhl. They did a great job with finishing their seasons. Mlb had some speed bumps, but it has worked out well. NFL, they had very little room for error. You can't just postpone a couple games. It's a different beast. I'm curious what happened with mlb players after marlins had an outbreak. I'm sure there are NFL players not taking this serious, but now might.
NBA and NHL were in situation where players were fine being in a bubble. Unless COVID spread is down significantly, the bubble is really the only way to go without having to worry about outbreaks. There is a 0% chance players would agree to a bubble for a full season. When the NBA and NHL get into their next season, they will have these issues too.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
KC player too but fortunately he is on the practice squad. No info on whether he was in contact with the starters last week.
He was playing the roles of Cam for the Cheifs at practice the whole week, so I’d imagine that there will be more positives from the cheifs.

Reactions: 4Orr

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The thing as someone said, not only did baseball have the distance players are separated work in their favor, but scheduling as well.

Baseball is nowhere near as physically demanding as football is. So when teams lost games to covid it was easier to just schedule double and triple headers. Can't do what with football.

They need to get this under control as soon as possible

Reactions: 4Orr

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
but you don’t have that many games to worry about. 1 per week

again responding to your OP, the season will not be done within two weeks. Too much $$$ at stake

It’s supposed to be next man up, plays. Right now only one starter is positive and I bet if it was some special teams player, they are playing but it’s Cam.

We all know how the virus works. The reason at this moment that the game was pushed to Monday or Tuesday was for test results to come in, according to the Boston Globe. If you think this will be isolated to Cam and Cam only, you are dreaming. Now knowing that the Chiefs practice QB played a role in the Chiefs practices last week, you can almost bet there will be more positives on the Chiefs side too, like in case of the Titans.

I hope I am wrong and you are right that this is isolated to two people. Ignoring you moving the goalposts, you said if the MLB can figure it out so can the NFL. To that I say, only if the infections stop at this moment and they stop cancelling games. Once you start getting into 6 to 10 games being cancelled in a week, its over.

I think NFL season will most likely go through but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some major reschedulings, including the season lasting longer into the Spring.

This is how I see it too. A suspension of the season until later dates lasting into the Spring and Summer.

Last edited:

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
The Titans obviously played with an infected player. This doesnt seem to be the case here so it shouldnt be the same, assuming all interactions this week were taken with the same precautions of distancing, mask wearing and sanitizing

DonkeyHotay

Jun 30, 2020
I could definitely see the Super Bowl being played 2-4 weeks after it's scheduled but the season will finish. And it should.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Titans obviously played with an infected player. This doesnt seem to be the case here so it shouldnt be the same, assuming all interactions this week were taken with the same precautions of distancing, mask wearing and sanitizing
Atlanta had Terrell their rookie cb year positive and their fame this past week went ahead as scheduled.
With the titans what started out as 3/4 positive tests has now increased to like 12 or something. So they need to make sure that this is all or they risk infecting another team.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
This is why I decided not to do fantasy this year. Someone gets the virus and it has a big impact on the week. This game looked like the game of the week on paper. Now in a blink of an eye, it’s not.

I'm in the same boat. Didn't get in any fantasy this season.

Just playing DFS, but even that can be tricky. I had all my teams picked yesterday but now had to make a couple changes because of the NE-KC game being moved.

I usually play in a big money survivor pool each year but the guy who runs it decided not to do it this year. Said there is too much uncertainty and it would be a huge headache to refund everyone if something happens to the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad