Cam Neely or Pavel Bure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Bure for me, I only watched neely from 91 onwards when I was four so maybe I can't really get a good grasp on how good he was but even then Bure was always the one catching my eye. Hell he's the reason I got into hockey the first place.

Vic Rattlehead*

monster_bertuzzi said:
Bure scored 60 in 77 - not too bad. BTW it was 50 in 49 for Neely.

It was 50 in 44. He ended the season with 49 games.

nucks2win

Jul 20, 2003
Edmonton
As a Canucks fan who fondly remembers Bure's series winning goal against Calgary in '94 - I still have to say Neely. The very definition of power forward.

TOPGUN

I Am Terrible!
Jul 31, 2005
Holland
2 different type off players

Neely was a more complete player, bure was a more "pure" goal scorer.

I the end I have to go with Bure, because off his amizing goals :amazed:

Bruinsyear

Dec 2, 2003
Mass
Anyone who voted for Bure over Neely either never saw Cam play or needs there head examined.

You needed to see Cam on a night in night out basis to fully appreciate him with Bure you can just see the highlights on sports center and read the box scores. He had flashy goals and was a very skilled player but Neely is really on another level. Point wise he wasn't all that far behind Bure in pts per game and what not but Physically, Emotinally and as a leader Cam wins by a landslide.

If you want to build your team around either of these guys it has to be Cam.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Bruinsyear said:
Anyone who voted for Bure over Neely either never saw Cam play or needs there head examined.

You needed to see Cam on a night in night out basis to fully appreciate him with Bure you can just see the highlights on sports center and read the box scores. He had flashy goals and was a very skilled player but Neely is really on another level. Point wise he wasn't all that far behind Bure in pts per game and what not but Physically, Emotinally and as a leader Cam wins by a landslide.

If you want to build your team around either of these guys it has to be Cam.
Coming from a Bruins fan, that is nothing but your opinion. Bure scored goals. Goals win you hockey games. Cam wasn't shabby, but Bure wins "by a landslide" for me because he puts fans in the seats.

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
luongofan said:
Cam wasn't shabby

50 goals in 44 games... And the ability to take on the leagues top enforcers and control a game physically...

You're right - not to shabby at all.

Drury77

May 7, 2002
Clarksville, TN
www.geocities.com
luongofan said:
Coming from a Bruins fan, that is nothing but your opinion. Bure scored goals. Goals win you hockey games. Cam wasn't shabby, but Bure wins "by a landslide" for me because he puts fans in the seats.

I'm kinda stunned that you would say that Neely didn't put butts in the seats :shakehead , Neely made the PF position possible for guys like Bertuzzi, made that kind of play what we all are currently missing in the NHL today.

Neely most certainly put arses in the seats, and I loved watching him play, you knew everytime he touched the ice, the odds were excellent the Bruins were going to score.

jr77812

Dec 9, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Neely...

As many before me have pointed out there is much more to hockey then just points...which the two are fairly equal all things considered. Both essentially were point per game players. Add in the 1241 PIM for Neely and one would wonder had he not been sitting in the box how many more points he might have netted. ;) (obviously a touch of sarcasm in that point).

And let's not forget the injuries that limited Neely in the midst of his prime. 91-93 were lost years for Neely...one wonders what might have been had he been healthy.

Also to the point that Neely had Oates and Bourque...I'm pretty sure Bure had some solid players around him. Nedved...Courtnall...Ronning...Linden. All pretty solid players.

This takes nothing away from Bure's pure offensive talent but Neely was so much more a complete player. He truly was the "quintessential" powerfoward of his time.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Kick his *** Seabass!

Neely far and away. Granted, I've really only seen numerous highlights from Neely, but many of his goals were as nice as they come, you add in that he was THE powerforward there really isn't much debate. This isn't meant to take away from Bure, who was hands down the dominant goalscorer of the mid-to-late 90s and also deserves a spot in the Hall IMO, but he was nowhere near as complete as Cam and after he left Vancouver, wasn't exactly a team player or defensively competent.

Bure was probably the more exciting player, and a better goalscorer, but that doesn't mean he was a better hockey player.

norwoodmustang

Jul 29, 2005
Norwood, MA USA
Bure had amazing talent and scored some nice goals, but Neely was a better PLAYER- in the corners, coming down the wing, parked in front of the net- there was no one like Neely.

imagine what Neely might have accomplished if he had not had the injury problems (might still be playing today at 40!).

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
luongofan said:

Neely put fans in the seats, too. The Garden was rocking night after night.

Bure was a great point grabber, no doubt, but Neely was the whole package.

HockeyGoddess

Mar 1, 2002
Nashua, NH
Yes, I'm a Bruins fan, but Pavel Bure was one of my favorite players who wasn't a Bruin for many seasons. On pure talent, Bure wins. On heart, effort, and completeness of game, Cam Neely wins by a HUGE margin.

Neely was absolutely a MAJOR draw in getting fannies in the stands.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
luongofan said:
Bure was exciting. However, Neely had the ability to get the crowd going in many ways. He could make a big hit, beat someone in a fight or score a big goal. Bure could only do one of those things.

BruinAddict

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2005
Toronto
Who put fear in the eyes of his opponents? Neely.
Who dominated fights with his left-handed punches? Neely.
Who wasn't afraid to take/give a beating in-front of the net (in the old, real NHL)? Neely.
Who laid thundering body-checks on a gamely-basis? Neely.
Who was the term 'Power Forward' coined after? Neely.

Pavel Bure was one heck of a player, don't get me wrong, and in today's non-contact NHL he could potentially do more damage than Neely, but when push comes to shove, Cam Neely is still the guy I want on my hockey team. Hands down.

StickMang

Aug 2, 2005
I have been a long time lurker, and rarely post. Yet I came out of radio silence to post simply out of amazement at these results. This is absolutely no discredit to Bure, who has phenomenal numbers, incredible skill, and national exposure as one of the "most skilled hockey stars". However, Cam Neely was simply a better hockey player ito this Bruins "homer".

He was a clutch performer in games and in the playoffs, a game changing player with his physical presence and his scoring ability. He helped define, or at least portrayed perfectly the term, "power forward". His intensity and intimidation affected the play around him. He was the quintissential body checker and pugilist extraordinaire, whose fists carried reputation amongst even goonery, such that he didn't have to fight to win the edge. His leadership appeared to be the demonstrable, tenacious type, which seemed to complement Ray's subtlety.

Cam's skills were as great as his physical tools. He had enough touch to pass well, and he had excellent backhand and forehand shots; Cam had the ability to score from all over the ice. While his slapper was intense, his snap shot was so good that it would have been in the Johhny Peirson Top 3. While I wouldn't characterize him as fast, he had an incredibly powerful stride and the strength and leverage to obtain body position at full stride; some of his goals were strangely acrobatic for a big player. Cam was the definitive anchor in front of the net at even strength and on power play.

His determination to come back after so many injuries, and playing in pain, was a testament to his character. I think most amazing is his personal determination to overcome all of the difficulties with illness and death in his family. And to engender such altruistic endeavors as an ambassador to with charitable events, and of course, starting his own foundation, are simply amazing feats of a giving, caring person. He truly conveyed a bond with the hard-working purveyors of his craft, emulating them, endearing them, and thereby honoring them; we returned the same to him.

Maybe in my Bostonian myopia, I am missing the full picture on Bure; or perhaps there truly is no comparison, as I contend...

-Mang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad