Cam Neely or Pavel Bure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinguy

Here we are again!
Nov 18, 2003
Stuck in LeafNation
Absolutely Neely. Not taking one bit of credit away from Bure but Neely was more of a complete package. Besides, you'd never see Pavel grab Claude Lemieux and heave him 6 feet into the boards!

I still must say though that Bure was absolutely electrifying!

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
This one isn't even close. Bure was one-dimensional and a detriment to the team when he didn't have the puck.

Outside of Mark Messier, nobody has combined goal scoring ability and physical play like Cam Neely over the past 30 years.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Personally I said Bure. He actuallt LED his team to a Cup final appearane and had 34 points in the playoffs that year. Neely never did that to Bure's extent. Neely gets really overrated on these boards IMO. Bure won major awards when Neely didnt.

neelysbiggestfan

Jul 9, 2004
Big Phil said:
Personally I said Bure. He actuallt LED his team to a Cup final appearane and had 34 points in the playoffs that year. Neely never did that to Bure's extent. Neely gets really overrated on these boards IMO. Bure won major awards when Neely didnt.

Neely led the Bruins to the Cup Finals twice.
In 1990, he had 16 goals!! (20 points) in 19 games while being about the only player on the Bruins that could score.
Also, led the bruins in scoring in the 89 playoffs with 28 points in 22 games.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Big Phil said:
You're right, Phil, Neely never led his team to A finals appearance. He led his team to two finals appearances. Neely was a critical part of Boston reaching the Cup final in 1988 and 1990. His play against Montreal was a big reason the Bruins beat the Habs in 1988, the first time Boston had beaten Montreal in an eternity. His 1990 play was some of the best of his career, surprassed only by 1991, when he scored 16 goals - one off the playoff record - in 19 games.

Plus, let's not forget that the true MVP in the Canucks' 1994 Cup run was Kirk McLean. The Canucks don't go anywhere without his heroics throughout the series vs. Calgary. And for my money, Trevor Linden was a much more valuable all-round contributor to the Canucks' success throughout the playoffs than Bure. Bure was dominant against Dallas, but inconsistent and at time invisible in the other three series.

Plus, Neely never pulled a Houdini disappearing act in the playoffs like Bure did in 1992, 1993 or especially 2000.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Totally different kinds of players. If I needed a goal to win a game, I'm going with Bure. But Neely did other things better, so for a whole game I'd go with Neely. But I enjoyed Bure's style more, because he was so electrifying to watch. Neely was more of a bull in the china shop with good hands.

But since they are completely different players, I don't see what difference it would make.

myrocketsgotcracked

Joe Thornton #1 Fan said:
clearly Neely...more complete player
Bure's a pure goal scorer but cant match Neely's bests

who else can score 50 in 44

helps that neely have oates as his center and bourque behind him. bure had to do everything by himself.

Mike Bossy*

GP G A Pts

726 395 299 694 (Cam Neely)
702 437 342 779 (Pavel Bure)

I'd rather have Pavel Bure on my team.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
skill - bure
complete - neely

as a canucks fan bure

as a hockey fan bure as well ( pure excitement)

but a player to build around for a cup run... neely

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
I choose Bure too, just bcause we was my favorite player. And I think he is so darn dangerous everytime he is on the ice, man I wish he would have the pleasure of playing in the new NHL.

Anyway, why choose? ya got a Pavel Bure and Cam Neely mold into one player... Alexander Ovechkin :teach:

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
monster_bertuzzi said:
Bure scored 60 in 77 - not too bad. BTW it was 50 in 49 for Neely.

No. It was 50 in 44.

He ended up with 50 in 49 for that season because he was playing injured and didn't score in his last 5 games before he had to hang it up for that year. But that does not change the fact that Neely put away 50 goals in his first 44 games.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Oh, and I'd take Neely easily. He was certainly in the same league as Bure in the goal-scoring department, could hit like a freight train, and put his team on his back enroute to 2 Stanley Cup finals. No contest.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Joe Juneau said:
GP G A Pts

726 395 299 694 (Cam Neely)
702 437 342 779 (Pavel Bure)

I'd rather have Pavel Bure on my team.
There is far more to this game than points, ie, physical play and leadership. Neely's one of the greatest combinations of goal-scoring and physical play ever, and likely No. 2 for the last quarter century. (Behind only Messier). He was also a better leader and a better player in the clutch. If the puck wasn't on Bure's stick, he was of very little use.

Nifty=HHOF

Jul 8, 2004
Depressed Yankee Land
Cam Neely was a far better overall player than Bure, this poll result is insane. Unless there are too many voters who were too young to really see/appreciate Neely in his heyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->