Cam Janssen

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Is this that UK league that calls itself a "hockey" league but just about every other game there are bench-clearing brawls and every game has like 5-10 fights?

Not sure you can call that hockey.

Nottingham Panthers is a cool name for a hockey team though. Would be better if they were called the Nottingham Sherriff's :D

I believe you're thinking of the LNAH, which is in Quebec.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Renard, where are you from?? You obviously don't know anything about Missouri. Eureka is just outside of St. Louis. Those of us from other parts of
Missouri consider it almost part of St. Louis. We go there to visit Six Flags amusement park, but it is the same trip as visiting St. Louis. Many miles from the Ozarks!!!

You are mistaken sir. Eureka is in the Ozarks. The Ozark plateau begins just south of the Missouri River. Eureka is in it. It's in the northern part of the Ozarks, but Ozarks just the same.

I was born and raised in St. Louis, by the way, and have taken I-44 southwest from St. Louis many times, heading for one of the many Ozark rivers for float trips.

Lakewood

Nov 17, 2013
Good August thread. I grew up in Indiana and was a proud Hoosier, and I've debated it with my Missouri friends growing up over a "sodie" and such. Lol sodie There really aren't country hicks anymore anywhere near eureka, but I'm proud I lived there when there still were some. I caddied at the legends, and played pond hockey w cam janssen though I didn't know it at the time.

I moved to Missouri from Colorado so when I talked to my friends back home I described it as the foothills of the Ozarks. Probably read that in one of those travel brochures

Hope cam keeps playing and making money and having fun as much as he can. Pretty cool he did so well for himself being a eureka boy.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Eureka is literally in St. Louis County. It's a suburb.

The fact that people commute from there to St. Louis doesn't change the fact that Eureka is located in the Ozarks.

Check it out on the maps you can find on the internet. The Ozark plateau runs much further north than you think, and then runs south to include the northern third of Arkansas.

The map I just finished looking at shows the Ozarks beginning in south St. Louis County, just south of I-244-I-255

Lakewood

Nov 17, 2013
Fitting the Ozarks are the topographical blues. New Madrid may fart, but it won't change squat. We are mountains but Can't decide if we are really mountains...

417blues

Aug 1, 2012
Springfield
The fact that people commute from there to St. Louis doesn't change the fact that Eureka is located in the Ozarks.

Check it out on the maps you can find on the internet. The Ozark plateau runs much further north than you think, and then runs south to include the northern third of Arkansas.

The map I just finished looking at shows the Ozarks beginning in south St. Louis County, just south of I-244-I-255

The Ozarks definitely extend up to the Missouri River; here's a an article from 1988 which discusses the different regions including the parts near St. Louis and the southwestern part, which many people think of when they think 'The Ozarks.'

https://thelibrary.org/lochist/periodicals/ozarkswatch/ow104a.htm

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The Ozarks definitely extend up to the Missouri River; here's a an article from 1988 which discusses the different regions including the parts near St. Louis and the southwestern part, which many people think of when they think 'The Ozarks.'

https://thelibrary.org/lochist/periodicals/ozarkswatch/ow104a.htm

Thanks for the support, 417.

I grew up in St. Louis, and for many years, I thought about the Ozarks as being "way down there." As an adult. I starting reading about the region, looking at maps, and was surprised by what I found.

Last edited:

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
But no one from St Louis actually considers Eureka to be part of the Ozarks, even if it is geographically correct to do so. Everyone thinks of the "Ozarks" as southwest MO.

And yes, Eureka is a suburb of the greater St Louis region.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Geographically? Yes it's the Ozarks. I even believe the stretch of 44 that runs through Eureka is called "The Henry Shaw Ozark corridor" Culturally and historically it is not the Ozarks.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
If it's anything south of the Missouri, are kirkwood, U-city, and creve coeur part of the Ozarks? Or would you consider those suburbs?

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Question:

St. Louis city is south of the Missouri River.
Ozarks evidently extend north to meet the "Missourah"
Is St. Louis then part of the Ozarks? If so then someone needs to start shooting for some food, television has taught me that there is indeed black gold under the ground just a'waiting to come bubbling up.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Question:

St. Louis city is south of the Missouri River.
Ozarks evidently extend north to meet the "Missourah"
Is St. Louis then part of the Ozarks? If so then someone needs to start shooting for some food, television has taught me that there is indeed black gold under the ground just a'waiting to come bubbling up.

South St. Louis County marks the northern boundary of the Ozarks. Just south of I 255-I-255.

I guess most people don't think a place is in the Ozarks unless they see people with red necks. But geographically, the color of someone's neck is irrelevant to the analysis.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
But no one from St Louis actually considers Eureka to be part of the Ozarks, even if it is geographically correct to do so. Everyone thinks of the "Ozarks" as southwest MO.

And yes, Eureka is a suburb of the greater St Louis region.

I agree with you that people from St Louis generally don't think of Eureka as being in the Ozarks. But it is, just the same.

As far as Eureka being a suburb of St. Louis, I guess that is a matter of discussion. I think of a suburb as a city that has no cornfields between it and a major city.

I used to work at the Chrysler plant in Fenton. There were people from all over who drove to Fenton to work there. Is Catawissa a suburb of Fenton?

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
South St. Louis County marks the northern boundary of the Ozarks. Just south of I 255-I-255.
Eureka isn't really south of the interchange though. Along the same parallel really.
West of it, sure. But not really south.

I guess most people don't think a place is in the Ozarks unless they see people with red necks. But geographically, the color of someone's neck is irrelevant to the analysis.

Sounds like what someone would tell me who has a green neck from Outer Lethilos IV.
Oh, we're on to you now you space frogs!

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
As far as Eureka being a suburb of St. Louis, I guess that is a matter of discussion. I think of a suburb as a city that has no cornfields between it and a major city.

Well, there goes Wildwood and all of St. Charles county.

I used to work at the Chrysler plant in Fenton. There were people from all over who drove to Fenton to work there. Is Catawissa a suburb of Fenton?
No, but only because we don't want Fenton thinking it has suburbs and thus getting all uppity.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Eureka isn't really south of the interchange though. Along the same parallel really.
West of it, sure. But not really south.

Sounds like what someone would tell me who has a green neck from Outer Lethilos IV.
Oh, we're on to you now you space frogs!

I give up. Look at maps of the Ozarks you can find on the internet and satisfy yourself, or have it your own ignorant way.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I give up. Look at maps of the Ozarks you can find on the internet and satisfy yourself, or have it your own ignorant way.

I knew you Lethilosians would yield before my superior geographic knowledge.

You're referring to the Salem Plateau which in turn refers to the groundwater aquifers of St. Francois and Ozark. The most north-eastern point they use for collection and measurement is in fact Eureka.
They like to throw in "Ozark Foothills" so people can say they see it, but it's pretty much all centered around an aquifier nobody can really see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad