Prospect Info: Cam Hillis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Points for listening to Halsey during his work-out..

and he looks pretty ripped, not bad shape for the little guy.
He really is pretty bulky, more than I thought just seeing him on the ice at the very least. That's very good, he's gonna need to be strong for his size since playing a solid two way game is a pretty big part of his tool kit. That's the one positive of all his down time due to injuries I guess, he's had plenty of opportunities to work on his fitness.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Cam Hillis, top 9 medium potential

Strenghts:
Character
Vision
Playmaking

Weakness:
Physical
Puck handling
Shot

Will excel in AHL with the right coach, may see 3rd line in Montreal but most likely to be traded on peek value.

Potential comparison:
Tyler Johnson

likelyhood to see top 6 minutes: Low

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Jul 6, 2016
Hopefully he's gonna be better than McShane or Fonstad, two players the Habs decided not to sign.

With 14 more picks this year, mainly middle rounders, I still don't understand the goal to pick that many and finally sign just 2 or 3 at the end. Lots of successful teams are drafting half a dozen players only.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Hopefully he's gonna be better than McShane or Fonstad, two players the Habs decided not to sign.

With 14 more picks this year, mainly middle rounders, I still don't understand the goal to pick that many and finally sign just 2 or 3 at the end. Lots of successful teams are drafting half a dozen players only.

More options after 2-3 years. Seems like they found themselves in a corner this year with too many contracts, but hopefully they keep better track of them in the future and can retain more prospects if the quality is there.

I imagine that during those 2-3 years prior to contract signature they get a lot of information on the prospects and can more accurately asses their chances of becoming pro vs on draft day.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

They were swinging for the fence with both. They were boom or bust and they are both heading towards bust as they still have big flaws. It's the kind of guy you need to pick in the later rounds if you want to get steals.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Sweet hands

not an amazing shot but not bad for a playmaking C. He works on his skating then there's something there for sure. Luxury depth. Is he even a top 10 prospect on any one of our lists? At best he'd be on the bottom surely. Solid cupboard depth wise at least

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
not an amazing shot but not bad for a playmaking C. He works on his skating then there's something there for sure. Luxury depth. Is he even a top 10 prospect on any one of our lists? At best he'd be on the bottom surely. Solid cupboard depth wise at least

He'll have to keep developing a lot. He looks a bit small and slight even at the NHL level.

But maybe he'll develop physically. We'll see over the next 3 years. Hopefully he gets 3 full years in Laval.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He'll have to keep developing a lot. He looks a bit small and slight even at the NHL level.

But maybe he'll develop physically. We'll see over the next 3 years. Hopefully he gets 3 full years in Laval.

I actually thought he looked fairly stocky though I'm sure he needs to get stronger. Skating may never be an asset but if he can keep improving it he could be a solid middle 6er.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
They were swinging for the fence with both. They were boom or bust and they are both heading towards bust as they still have big flaws. It's the kind of guy you need to pick in the later rounds if you want to get steals.
Good post. This is the luxury of having many draft picks. The idea is NOT to sign them all, it's to have a bigger pool to choose the best ones to sign.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

They don't just sign 2 or 3.

7 picks
4 players signed (Poehling, Brook, Fleury & Primeau)
1 rights still owned: Ikonen
2 rights lost: Walford & Tyszka

11 picks
4 players signed (Kotkaniemi, Ylonen, Romanov & Hillis)
4 rights still owned: Olofsson, Harris, Gorniak & Stapley
3 rights lost: McShane, Fonstand & Houde

10 picks
2 players signed (Khisamutdinov & RHP (AHL))
8 rights still owned: Caufield, Struble, Norlinder, Fairbrother, LeGuerrier, Pitlick, Dichow & Ruscheinski

The ones I would say are a sure bet that will be signed are Caufield, Harris, Struble & Norlinder.

The ones I believe will get signed but not 100% sure: Olofsson, Fairbrother & Pitlick. And I would put Stapley as an honorable mention.

That would be between 14-17 players signed out of a total of 28. That is not signing 2 or 3 every year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He bulked up and improved his skating lot this year. Hes on the right track

Kind of what I have noticed as well. The issues in his game in draft +1 are not the same as draft +2. He's clearly working hard at improving in several areas. The Kid's smart, well respected by his peers, and is a center we can use in our depth. Might never make it or he might follow the Danault track that Evans appears to be on.

Evans, Hillis, Olofsson are great depth at center and lets hope one or two of them are 3C/4C quality. It's very possible.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
They don't just sign 2 or 3.

7 picks
4 players signed (Poehling, Brook, Fleury & Primeau)
1 rights still owned: Ikonen
2 rights lost: Walford & Tyszka

11 picks
4 players signed (Kotkaniemi, Ylonen, Romanov & Hillis)
4 rights still owned: Olofsson, Harris, Gorniak & Stapley
3 rights lost: McShane, Fonstand & Houde

10 picks
2 players signed (Khisamutdinov & RHP (AHL))
8 rights still owned: Caufield, Struble, Norlinder, Fairbrother, LeGuerrier, Pitlick, Dichow & Ruscheinski

The ones I would say are a sure bet that will be signed are Caufield, Harris, Struble & Norlinder.

The ones I believe will get signed but not 100% sure: Olofsson, Fairbrother & Pitlick. And I would put Stapley as an honorable mention.

That would be between 14-17 players signed out of a total of 28. That is not signing 2 or 3 every year.

Plus they added a few undrafted UFA's as well:

2016 Charlie Lindgren
2017 Jakub Jerabek, Antonie Waked, Markus Eisenschmid
2018 Joel Teasdale, David Sklenicka, Mical Moravcik, Alexandre Alain, Hayden Verbeek
2019 Alex Belzile, Otto Leskinen
2020 Vasili Demchenko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad