Prospect Info: Cam Hillis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Nope, they signed him once they decided to turn him pro instead of going for a 5th junior season. They still had 8 months to sign him.
Ahh yes, the decision of him turning pro or staying in the WHL is what came down to the wire. Thanks for the clarification.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Hillis: 'I've worked towards this my whole life'

"It's a relief. I've worked towards this my whole life, and to see it kind of happen now is a really special feeling for me. It's the most storied franchise in hockey ever, and to put pen to paper with Montreal, there isn't any other team I'd want to be with. I'm just super grateful they've given me this opportunity."

Reactions: dralaf

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
That clip where he does a nice dangle, gets a shot high on the goalie then rounds the net and bats it out of mid-air is quintessential Hillis. The only thing missing from these clips are ones that show his playmaking ability, but that stuff is immediately noticeable if anyone watches any of his games.
Those upcoming clip will be the ones that I'll pay attention at 1909% (IYKWIM). At the end of the day, Hillis gotta reproduce all that at the pro level - where it counts the most.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
That's CHillis ladies and gentlemen:

upload_2020-5-13_16-21-40.png

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
interesting that he talks about how him and Suzuki stayed in contact throughout this season.

also that he talks about the main thing he has to work on this off-season is getting stronger and that he's working on adding mass as well.

Last edited:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Storm’s Hillis inspired to share his love of the game with others – Ontario Hockey League

“To sign with probably the most historic hockey franchise in all of sports, it’s super humbling. It’s a great feeling that they believe in me and want me on their team down the road.”

“My whole life, whenever I’ve had the most success in hockey is when I’m relaxed and playing the game just because I love the game”

“I think I learned a lot about myself. I had a lot of time to develop my skating with Barb Underhill and physically get stronger off the ice with all the time in the gym, and kind of turn some negatives into positives.”

“I took a step back and realized how lucky I was to play the game that I love. I felt like it was fitting to release it now and help the kids going forward.”

Reactions: WeThreeKings
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Storm’s Hillis inspired to share his love of the game with others – Ontario Hockey League

“To sign with probably the most historic hockey franchise in all of sports, it’s super humbling. It’s a great feeling that they believe in me and want me on their team down the road.”

“My whole life, whenever I’ve had the most success in hockey is when I’m relaxed and playing the game just because I love the game”

“I think I learned a lot about myself. I had a lot of time to develop my skating with Barb Underhill and physically get stronger off the ice with all the time in the gym, and kind of turn some negatives into positives.”

“I took a step back and realized how lucky I was to play the game that I love. I felt like it was fitting to release it now and help the kids going forward.”
I wonder if it's better for him to go back to the OHL or him to go learn with Bouchard.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
We can't have too many rookies or 2nd year guys in Laval. Hillis playing one more OHL year is not a horrible idea IMO. He likely has a long development path like Evans
yeah I really wouldnt mind, as we already have some kind of log jam at centre with KK/Vejdemo/Poehling/Evans/Dauphin all able to play centre at this level

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He needs to play at the next step and he can do so behind some more experienced centers in KK, Vejdemo etc.

Nothing more to prove in the OHL.

Really rooting for him, all the stuff he does for his community. Really good kid off the ice.

Reactions: Chr1s97

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
yeah I really wouldnt mind, as we already have some kind of log jam at centre with KK/Vejdemo/Poehling/Evans/Dauphin all able to play centre at this level

Imo:

Evans will hopefully be in Montreal. I'd be surprised if he's not.

Vejdemo, imo, is very low priority. I'd give Hillis an opportunity before Vejdemo. Vejdemo could use time on the wing, as he may only be able to land a 4th line wing NHL job anyways in the long run, not an NHL 4c job.

Plus, Dauphin might be ready for 4c in Montreal.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Hopefully! Evans has really impressed.

Hopefully not another Ben Maxwell - almost good enough, but not quite.

One big difference is that Maxwell was perimeter and never got to the middle of the ice.

Hillis has some Gallagher to him, so theres no worries about that being a detriment

Reactions: 26Mats

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

To start the season next year:
Kotkaniemi (age 20, 3rd year AHL/NHL)
Evans (Age 23, 3rd year AHL/NHL)
Vejdemo (Age 24, 3rd year AHL/NHL)
Alain (age 23, 3rd year AHL/NHL)
Poehling (age 21, 2nd year AHL/NHL)
Teasdale (Age 21, 2nd year AHL but hurt last season)
Ylonen (Age 21, 1st year AHL)
Hillis (Age 20, 1st year AHL... maybe)

Fleury (Age 21, 3rd year AHL/NHL)
Brook (Age 21, 2nd year AHL/NHL)
Romanov (Age 20, 1st year AHL/NHL)

Probably forgot a few guys. Regardless, another year for Hillis in the OHL will allow Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Evans to graduate. Hillis missed a lot of time in his age 18 season too.

I'm OK with either OHL or AHL for Hillis though. Just need to manage Laval's depth that's all.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hopefully! Evans has really impressed.

Hopefully not another Ben Maxwell - almost good enough, but not quite.

Evans had a solid development road. I see Hillis as a similar 200' center who does the little things well and chips in on offense. What's impressive with me with Hillis is the production he put up with the Storm with not much talent around him. That stands out to me. Both Hillis and Gogolev and then a significant gap behind them. This means he was a driving force vs accumulating points cause his team is deep in talent.

Guelph Storm at eliteprospects.com

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
To start the season next year:
Kotkaniemi (age 20, 3rd year AHL/NHL)
Evans (Age 23, 3rd year AHL/NHL)
Vejdemo (Age 24, 3rd year AHL/NHL)
Alain (age 23, 3rd year AHL/NHL)
Poehling (age 21, 2nd year AHL/NHL)
Teasdale (Age 21, 2nd year AHL but hurt last season)
Ylonen (Age 21, 1st year AHL)
Hillis (Age 20, 1st year AHL... maybe)

Fleury (Age 21, 3rd year AHL/NHL)
Brook (Age 21, 2nd year AHL/NHL)
Romanov (Age 20, 1st year AHL/NHL)

Probably forgot a few guys. Regardless, another year for Hillis in the OHL will allow Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Evans to graduate. Hillis missed a lot of time in his age 18 season too.

I'm OK with either OHL or AHL for Hillis though. Just need to manage Laval's depth that's all.
Kotkaniemi is going to be in Montreal next year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kotkaniemi is going to be in Montreal next year.

Probably. One of Evans, Poehling, and Kotkaniemi will be on the NHL roster I am sure. Maybe two of them. All 3? Doubt that

It's possible they all go from AHL and NHL during the season like this year.

Do I expect Kotkaniemi to take a noticeable jump forward from one season to the next? Actually no. I expect him to grow bit by bit each season and not so sure our fan base has patience for that. After all, he was drafted as a long term prospect right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad