Player Discussion Cam Fowler

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It's redundant if Cam's numbers don't improve. He APPEARS to have less trouble than Sami handling the tougher match ups, but the results aren't nearly as good. The Vatanen-Bieksa pairing is better than what we are seeing now. It should be only a matter of time until Despres and Cam are put back together. This is ridiculous. Cam's like a Ferrari, only with a Honda engine. Who wants to pay full sticker price for that in two years? Not me.

Please identify the games for me where Vatanen was used as the shutdown pairing, as opposed to the pairing where everyone was *****ing that they were once again repeatedly trapped in their own end by the other teams' top lines.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It's redundant if Cam's numbers don't improve. He APPEARS to have less trouble than Sami handling the tougher match ups, but the results aren't nearly as good. The Vatanen-Bieksa pairing is better than what we are seeing now. It should be only a matter of time until Despres and Cam are put back together. This is ridiculous. Cam's like a Ferrari, only with a Honda engine. Who wants to pay full sticker price for that in two years? Not me.

A Ferrari that gets excellent fuel economy? I fail to see the problem ... :)

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
We should be treating Cam Fowler and Hampus Lindholm like a poor man's Scott Niedermayer and Chris Pronger. It is good to have 2 top pair quality defenseman leading a defense pair. If one goes down with injury still have 1 left. Makes it easier to match up against opposing teams when both are in the lineup. Anyone who thinks we should be trading Fowler (at worst our 2nd best overall defenseman and is also most experienced) or Lindholm (at worst our 2nd best overall defenseman and has most potential) over Vatanen is out to lunch.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
We should be treating Cam Fowler and Hampus Lindholm like a poor man's Scott Niedermayer and Chris Pronger. It is good to have 2 top pair quality defenseman leading a defense pair. If one goes down with injury still have 1 left. Makes it easier to match up against opposing teams when both are in the lineup. Anyone who thinks we should be trading Fowler (at worst our 2nd best overall defenseman and is also most experienced) or Lindholm (at worst our 2nd best overall defenseman and has most potential) over Vatanen is out to lunch.

What if we could trade Fowler + for an actual first pairing Dman?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Myers is not an improvement over Fowler. Neither is Hamonic.

Trouba has had a rather worrisome trend since a great rookie season.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Myers is not an improvement over Fowler. Neither is Hamonic.

Trouba has had a rather worrisome trend since a great rookie season.

Yeah, none of those guys are as good or better. I'd come closest to understanding it with Hamonic, but mostly because the style is most different. Myers has had a good season (finally...), but isn't better. Trouba still has all potential, but he just hasn't been very good, neither last nor this year. For the time being, it would be a clear cut downgrade without much of an argument to be made to the contrary.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yeah, none of those guys are as good or better. I'd come closest to understanding it with Hamonic, but mostly because the style is most different. Myers has had a good season (finally...), but isn't better. Trouba still has all potential, but he just hasn't been very good, neither last nor this year. For the time being, it would be a clear cut downgrade without much of an argument to be made to the contrary.

That's pretty much my assessment too. Hamonic is the closest, but I think with us already having Lindholm, it actually benefits us to have Fowler instead. He's the superior puck mover and transition player, and he's shown he can handle shutdown responsibility.

Myers is older than Fowler, and he's a defenseman who has shown he can handle a lot of minutes, but I'm not sure he actually does anything better than Fowler.

Trouba is just... well, he's been a bit disappointing. He was right there with Lindholm, even arguably ahead of him at one point. Since then, he just hasn't been anything special. Adding him isn't an improvement over Fowler. It's actually a clear step backwards. The argument for Trouba is one of potential, and physical play. That's it. I'm not willing to trade for potential, when we already have Theodore and Lindholm. Moving Fowler should be an immediate gain, not a long-term dice roll.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
So if we could trade Fowler + for say......Fowler?

I think his argument all along has been that Fowler isn't an actual top pairing defenseman. Of course, then you see the list of players he considers top pairing defensemen, and I actually think that proves the opposite. If those are top pairing defensemen, so is Fowler.

Now, for a true, and proven (consistent) #1 I'd absolutely make that deal. The problem being that the other team wouldn't. That's always the problem.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
All the #1 D-men in the league would break our bank anyway.

Our D is one of the better in the league, coaches only need to learn which guys to play more and who to play less.

Yes, Bieksa, I'm talking to you.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
I think Fowler is actually becoming way underrated around here.

Yes, he's not a dangerous weapon on the PP but he's solid defensively, can move the puck, and skate out of trouble when he needs to. Sometimes it's good to take a step back to regain perspective.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I think his argument all along has been that Fowler isn't an actual top pairing defenseman. Of course, then you see the list of players he considers top pairing defensemen, and I actually think that proves the opposite. If those are top pairing defensemen, so is Fowler.

Now, for a true, and proven (consistent) #1 I'd absolutely make that deal. The problem being that the other team wouldn't. That's always the problem.
Seems like it, Harmonic, Myers, Trouba aren't what I would call top pairing defenceman for winning teams at least (especially Trouba who's taken big steps backwards since his rookie season). When Despres is fully up to speed I really hope we see Fowler-Despres pairing reunited as that pairing was great last season plus they really compliment each others games perfectly. Of course that would require BB realising Bieksa is crap and never in position/sliding across the ice on his belly so I'm not exactly going to hold my breath on that front.

And agree, if we could package Fowler for a #1 then I'd be all for it but as you said, that isn't going to happen barring something silly happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad