Player Discussion Cam Fowler

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I understand. I shouldn't have called it an excuse me assist, and I clarified what I meant. Ultimately, the argument cam about because I said Cam played a good game, but I don't like him on the PP (that is not an opinion formed by the last couple games, but the last couple seasons.) Thus, my opinion did not change because Fowker had an assist on a 4-3 PP. If he continues to produce like he has for the last couple games on the PP, I will honestly be thrilled. Despite what you think, I am not looking for reasons not to like Cam, but I do vocalize what I believe his weakness are.

Fair enough.

Let's hope he improves and that the coaching staff starts using him properly. I didn't get to see the Calgary game, but I was happy with how he played against Chicago, and I thought he was our best defenseman.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Fair enough.

Let's hope he improves and that the coaching staff starts using him properly. I didn't get to see the Calgary game, but I was happy with how he played against Chicago, and I thought he was our best defenseman.

He was pretty much the same against Calgary. The PP was just a bit sharper all-around. Bieksa had his usual game, and Despres managed to be both good and bad all at the same time. The D was sloppy at times, but I don't think Lindholm or Fowler were at all guilty of being the cause. I thought Sami was pretty good too(looking at his recent play though, not early season play where I thought he was much better), but unfortunately Despres' play dragged that pairing down a bit.

Cam's ability to move and transition the play is just silly good.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
I understand. I shouldn't have called it an excuse me assist, and I clarified what I meant. Ultimately, the argument cam about because I said Cam played a good game, but I don't like him on the PP (that is not an opinion formed by the last couple games, but the last couple seasons.) Thus, my opinion did not change because Fowker had an assist on a 4-3 PP. If he continues to produce like he has for the last couple games on the PP, I will honestly be thrilled. Despite what you think, I am not looking for reasons not to like Cam, but I do vocalize what I believe his weakness are.

I can understand better where you are coming from, and I agree that the previous two seasons Cam hasn't been good on pp. But the best thing about Cam is that he works on his game like crazy during the off season as well as during the season (reason why his game tends to get better in playoffs), and he gets dramatically better the next season. We have especially seen this in regards to his defensive play, where difference is night and day from when he first entered league. But this season, we did see an improvement in Cam's offensive game, where his shot from the point was harder and he was getting it through to the net much more often, but because the whole team was in a slump the first half of season, we didn't see much of a difference in results. He wasn't as sharp with his shot the first two weeks after returning from injury, thus the slump in our pp when he returned. But the last couple of games, he is getting his shot on goal, causing juicy rebounds that have led to 3 goals on pp and 1 goal at even strength. It will be interesting to see if his improved shot leads to more rebound goals in the future, now that the team is finally out of its scoring slump.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don't see this improved shot. It's harder but far less accurate than it used to be. He's far more willing to shoot but he's still missing the net a ton and at times clearing the zone while doing so. He needs to get in close for his shot to be effective.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think he just needs to make more of an effort to shoot for rebounds, instead of shooting to score. The way he's missing the net, I get the feeling he's trying to pick corners.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Cam started the year out by definitely shooting more. That was a big improvement over the previous years when he would never shoot. Defenses have to respect any shot and when they know you absolutely refuse to shoot, it helps them. It is an improvement for us that he is shooting more.

Admittedly, his shot is all over the place and that brings it's own issues. He needs to improve the accuracy and as has been pointed out, learn to shoot for rebounds as well as deflections. Will all of this come with time? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. But there is no doubt he has taken a step forward this year.

But, (you knew there was going to be a but didn't you?) as things stand now, I think Hampus is better at that and of course when Sami has his act together he is the key to the PP. So, at the very least the Ducks should swap Cam and Hamp on the first and second PP. It improves the team and still allows Cam to work on improving his contribution there.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I don't love Cam being leaned on as a shooter on the PP, it doesn't play to his strengths. But as others have said, it is noticeable this season that he is shooting more, putting more mustard on his shots, and is shooting with a sense of purpose. He's even let go of a one-timer a few times. He just needs to work on his accuracy, and avoiding aiming for shin pads. If Beleskey could learn to hit the net, I believe anyone can.

That said, you can't really teach offensive instincts, and this is where Cam hits the wall. His shots and passes are always telecast, and I find his overall offensive game to be too predictable. I wish he could learn to look guys off the way we see from Lindholm, Vats, Theodore, etc. sometimes.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Not impressed with Cam's offensive ability at all, aside from his breakout pass and skating. Would not be terribly sad to see him go in the right deal.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Not impressed with Cam's offensive ability at all, aside from his breakout pass and skating. Would not be terribly sad to see him go in the right deal.

Why does his offensive ability matter so much to people? His main priority is to prevent goals, not score them. Lindholm has less points in more games than Fowler, but people aren't actively complaining about his offensive ability.

Why people want to trade away the most experience of our young dman constantly is beyond me.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Why does his offensive ability matter so much to people? His main priority is to prevent goals, not score them. Lindholm has less points in more games than Fowler, but people aren't actively complaining about his offensive ability.

Why people want to trade away the most experience of our young dman constantly is beyond me.

I think Lindholm is smarter with his shots and better at getting them on net, but other than that, I don't think Lindholm does anything better offensively.

On the other hand, I actually do think Fowler is a better passer, and he's certainly a better puck mover and transition player.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
But really, my issue isn't even with moving Fowler. It's with replacing him. Vatanen is not that guy, no matter how much some people might like him to be. Sami just isn't as effective at moving the puck from the D zone while under pressure. He isn't as good defensively. His offensive game seems to rely heavily on being put into good opportunities. At no point should we ever want to match him against top opposing players, which is exactly what opposing coaches will try to do.

Lindholm doesn't factor into this, because having two very good defensemen is something you want. It isn't something you push aside.

And Shea Theodore is still just a prospect, and it could be years before he's at that level. If he ever reaches it. His impact on the PP doesn't outweigh Fowler's impact all-around. Not by a long shot.

Which goes back to the initial point: Why would we be interested in moving Fowler right now, when we can't replace him? Because he'd get a better return? Well, duh. He's a better defenseman. That doesn't make us a better team right now. His future contract isn't an issue right now either, so that's moot. The team would be wise to take advantage of his current salary value if they want to compete. Moving him the season he needs to be re-signed is another thing entirely, but that's at least one more season away.

Oct 18, 2011
why are people obsessed with offense
cam is a good all around defenseman

it's amazing to me people want to trade him, and rely on a bunch of inexperienced guys in the playoffs.

not trading our best player from last years playoffs right now, no way.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Obviously you can't or shouldn't do it now, but even going forward, why would you do it? You're going to trade him so you can pay a worse player more money? His contract is way too good for a budget team, or any team, to trade.

Oct 18, 2011
i would not even consider trading him until we had vats and lindholm signed, it's just idiotic to trade him, and then risk getting poached during the summer

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
i would not even consider trading him until we had vats and lindholm signed, it's just idiotic to trade him, and then risk getting poached during the summer

He definitely shouldn't be traded. If he is it leaves Lindholm and Vatanen as the only real top 4 defensemen we have (Despres and Manson haven't played at a high enough level consistently enough to call top 4 guys yet and Bieksa is no longer good in that role).

The only gripe I have with Fowler is that he shouldn't be on the top PP unit. That and a couple of fans overrate the hell out of him.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Median view on the MB seems to be that Myers is a "disappointing 3/4."

So by extension Cam must be, at best, a #4.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Lindholm is still a better PP option. The PP is red hot right now so I wouldnt change anything for the moment though.

I'm excited that he's picked up his offensive game. Although I think the last few games he's been a fair bit worse in his own end, him losing the board battle on the PK that led to Doughtys goal can't happen, and he's let a couple of guys get behind him too easily as well. Hopefully he can tighten things up in his own end and still maintain his projection.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Got his 16th power play point of the season now the 2nd most ever in a season by him. His single season career high was 23 in his rookie season.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
While his PPG has slowed down, he is 4th in goals scored among D. Fowler has stepped up his game to a new level this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad