Player Discussion Cam Fowler

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we the only ones who can sign him to an eight year deal? I thought everyone else can only go seven.

Correct. Which is advantageous, because it means you can sign a player for slightly less, because the overall contract pays more. For a player like Fowler, who we'd be signing in his prime, that can be a pretty nice advantage. Let's say 6.5 over 8 years, just as a nice neat number. That's 52 million over the length of the contract. That translates to almost 7 and a half million over 7 years. It's quite a difference.

I don't know that Murray would be interested in a contract like that, but the option is there. In theory, that puts us in a better position to re-sign him than some teams. Not all teams, but some. The exceptions to that are the team's that would be willing to open up the vault to sign him. We can't do that. Most teams can't. Some can, and might be willing to, but he would have to get to UFA status for it to be an option for them.

The numbers suggest Anaheim is in a pretty good position to re-sign him at a reasonable rate, if that is what both sides want.

Edit: The TLDR version - A team can't offer him 7.5 over 8 years. And the equivalent of that over 7 years surpasses 8.5 per year. I think that's a little bit unrealistic.

Last edited:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
BTW - If I'm Fowler, and I was talking new contract with Murray, I'd ask for a NTC if I'm taking that team friendly contract. That would be a requirement for me, if I'm signing for a little less. That extra security would be important to me.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
BTW - If I'm Fowler, and I was talking new contract with Murray, I'd ask for a NTC if I'm taking that team friendly contract. That would be a requirement for me, if I'm signing for a little less. That extra security would be important to me.

Yeah for sure if I'm taking any sort of hometown discount I would want assurance that my loyalty is being reciprocated via a NTC.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Might want to extend him quickly, before the sorry state of California government puts though all the tax and fees they are clamoring for.
Going to be such a premium on cost of living and state taxes that it's going to affect signing some players

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Might want to extend him quickly, before the sorry state of California government puts though all the tax and fees they are clamoring for.
Going to be such a premium on cost of living and state taxes that it's going to affect signing some players

He isn't eligible to sign an extension until he's in the final year of his deal.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
He isn't eligible to sign an extension until he's in the final year of his deal.

I would still try to get him signed in summer (late summer). I wonder what he will demand. 5.5 for 8y and a NTC? I would be fine with that. So far Cam looks like he likes it here. With him and Hampus being the top duo on D for a long time I'm really confident. That is a great anchor.

OT: it still is insane that Corey Perry is the highest paid player for the next 5 years.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I would still try to get him signed in summer (late summer). I wonder what he will demand. 5.5 for 8y and a NTC? I would be fine with that. So far Cam looks like he likes it here. With him and Hampus being the top duo on D for a long time I'm really confident. That is a great anchor.

OT: it still is insane that Corey Perry is the highest paid player for the next 5 years.

Never ever ever will happen.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

:laugh: I`m sure you would be fine with that, just like any of us would

BTW Murray said that he gives this core the last shot (or something), right?
There could be some serious changes in the offseason, but I would LIKE to believe that keeping Cam would be one of the priorities.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

I heard that they're going to send all hockey players to FEMA camps.

Quackery

#MSpaintitorange
Nov 8, 2014
I'd imagine Cam's gonna ask for a full NMC due to all the trade talk in the past and rightfully so. If he gets it I'd imagine money could work around 6 mill, maybe even less if Cam feels generous (doubt it). Also Murray always works under philosophy to take less money during restricted FA time and then get paid when you hit UFA.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Did Bieksa take less money for his NMC?

Bieksa was extended before the LV expansion was announced. As the total number of teams goes up to 31, teams most likely are more cautions about handing out NMCs to players as it's very likely that there'll be another expansion coming up. I'd say that the price for NMC just got higher for the players, can't say how much higher though.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Fowler has been incredible this season. Anyone who still think he's trash, or a worse player than say Manson is just wrong, and shows are flawed advanced stats still are in judging if a player is good or not.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Fowler has been incredible this season. Anyone who still think he's trash, or a worse player than say Manson is just wrong, and shows are flawed advanced stats still are in judging if a player is good or not.

I hope he's making some folks (Rangers fans) reevaluate their use of advanced stats in drawing concrete conclusions about hockey players. If they can't admit they were wrong on this one...

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
I hope he's making some folks (Rangers fans) reevaluate their use of advanced stats in drawing concrete conclusions about hockey players. If they can't admit they were wrong on this one...

But they won't, because they're from NY.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

They won't. It's easy to let the numbers make the decisions for them, and suggest that Carlyle is making a mistake by playing him over someone with better advanced stats, like Manson.

The idea that Manson would fail in a similar role just doesn't enter the equation.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I tend to stay away from these things but... boy that is eye opening :laugh: They really live in their own fantasy land, don`t they :laugh:

Well sure. It reinforces their opinion. The Rangers didn't make a mistake with McIlrath, as long as Fowler is not good. They took a risk on him, and he didn't pan out, but that's AV's fault. In the meantime, the guy they should have taken, Fowler, continues to be a "****** defenseman", so it's no big loss, right? If they get confirmation that Manson is better(even if they are the ones confirming it), the statistics are being supported.

It's a closed system, that is only being fed by their own perceptions. I think some of them fail to see how ridiculous it looks from the outside, but as long as their opinions continue to be supported, everyone else is just behind on the times. Even the professionals. How many times have you seen the assertion that the professionals are clueless, and are dinosaurs? If they have one example, it applies to everyone equally, and suddenly they are more clever than the people who do it for a living.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
its weird that its only really ranger fans that think that

that machinehead guy really got to them lol

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

There are a couple of Buffalo fans who seem to feel the same, from what I've seen. In both cases it seems to be a lack of exposure to the players, and a reliance on those statistics that we love.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Fowler has already set a single season career high for goals and shots.

I couldn't stand Machinehead and after he came on our board and said Fowler isn't as bad as he was saying that he liked to argue for fun mod edit. Advanced stats have been great for people who like to argue for fun to have more to argue about and also to have people who don't watch much of a player to think they know what they need to know and not have to watch a player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad