Confirmed with Link: Cam Atkinson traded to PHI for Jake Voracek

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Makes sense for both teams. Columbus gets a playmaker for Laine and Voracek has a year less on his contract, Flyers save some cap space.
Yeah, I feel for Cam. But they appear invested in trying to re-start Laine. Voracek might be a good winger to do that, certainly more so than another shooter like Cam.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Even if it makes sense from a hockey standpoint, it's still a bad deal because players do care a lot about how organizations are treating them. Others will take notice of this one. It's particularly bad because the Bluejackets had problems keeping top players already. This move isn't gonna make future negociations any easier.

Last edited:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Like it from a hockey perspective but still more or less hate it. Only thing is that Cam’s contract was going to be truly horrible in a year or two. This one is truly shocking and out of left field.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I don’t understand this trade - I hope they flip him quickly for picks or somebody else, because this weaponized cap space is not looking so good.

Reactions: youngdinosaur

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
Even if it makes sense from a hockey standpoint, it's still a bad deal because players to care a lot about how organizations are treating them. Others will take notice of this one. It's particularly bad because the Bluejackets had problems keeping top players already. This move isn't gonna make future negociations any easier.

With all due respect, emotional attachment will put this team into the grave.

I understand why people think Cam might be upset. I do hope Jarmo and JD gave him the heads up on what might happen and prepare him for a potential move. But in reality, getting emotionally attached to players, especially when they don't have the value you are paying them, is not wise.

Cam was wasted here with our forward playmaking ability. Jake is about as good a fit as I could ask for Laine and others. He helps everyone on the team because he's a great passer with good vision. On the ice, I think this makes the Jackets a much better team and raises the ceiling of the team for 2021-22.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
First thought I had.

Second thought was maybe he didn’t want to stick around for a rebuild? Couldn’t blame him there if so. Not that Philly is exactly a cup contender.

Cam was very settled here, has a # of business interests - his hockey skills had fallen off. Voracek can dish the puck.

Reactions: Fro

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
How so? You want changes
That’s what they do
And now they are assholes? SMH

Well let’s see

1. cam has been open about wanting to be here

2. cam proved it by signing a contract

3. Cam was literally at a fan event last night with the management group 5 feet away from him. I highly doubt he would have been there if this was close or in the works. It’s a slap in the face to him (and embarrassing) and the fans who went there to see him last night

4. cam wanted to stay, nobody else did. He has a young family

We got the better player: no doubt about it. Cam was/is on his last legs and isn’t very effective anymore. But the optics of this deal are gross. I can’t respect it.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
This breaks my heart. Cams deal was bad but man he gave everything for this organization

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Sad to see Cam go but hopefully Jake's offense can help ignite Laine and foster growth in the next round of young guys.

@Double-Shift Lasse - You mentioned Voracek had negative things to say about Columbus in the other thread. What were they? When I met him at the ASG years ago he raved about Columbus and how he'd love to come back one day. Also the rumor a day or two ago was that Columbus was one of the teams that Voracek requested his trade be to (a request that Philly didn't have to honor).

Reactions: rotsbu and DJA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad