Confirmed with Link: Cam Atkinson traded to PHI for Jake Voracek

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Jake did have 62 points but Cam’s 50 included 23 goals. Jake was a real plus for us last year, but I think Cam would have been a better fit this year as he and Johnny would have been interesting. That said, I like the one year less on Jake’s deal.
And Jake was part of not being this team a year ago so ill take it

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Jake has looked like shit this year and he still has played better than Atkinson has.

This trade is a wash. Lean to Columbus since they get the cap space sooner. Your post back then was as wrong as it is now.
This trade was great for CBJ just to get rid of top-6 player that had no future with the prospect pool here. Johnny trade made this just better.

It's true that this season Voracek has had a really "slow" start, but I think he is still a good mentor for the kids, and while obviously overpriced, he's gone soon enough for prospects to step in.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
While he seemed like a better skater in the past/last year, it seems Voracek has lost a step and shouldn’t be looked at as adding to the team in this way over Atkinson.

It’s safe to say Voracek has much better “vision” and is overall a better passer than Cam, but, he also is a MUCH worse shooter/goal scorer than Atkinson. At the time I thought the trade was a “slam dunk”, as I thought Atkinson was about as “unskilled” of a 30 goal scorer as you could get, and he seemed to lose much of his acceleration/mobility that made him such a weapon.

But, even though Atkinson’s best days are behind him, like Bjorkstrand, THE ACTUAL GOALS can’t be denied. Even with his speed gone Atkinson always had a very good “scoring touch” around the net. The team is now seemingly lacking goal scorers, and it’s something Voracek doesn’t help in any way, especially when he’s not connecting on passes, not clicking with other players, and damn near too tired to finish shifts. He’s trying to execute plays he could only pull off before his 2nd time back with the CBJ.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This trade was great for CBJ just to get rid of top-6 player that had no future with the prospect pool here. Johnny trade made this just better.

It's true that this season Voracek has had a really "slow" start, but I think he is still a good mentor for the kids, and while obviously overpriced, he's gone soon enough for prospects to step in.

In isolation the trade makes a lot of sense but combined with the Bjorkstrand move its not so great. We had several RW goal scorers capable of potting 30+ and now we only have one. And the plethora of young goal scoring prospects Jarmo made room for (Bemstrom, Marchenko, Chinakhov) aren't scoring a lot of goals yet. Cam is still much better than those kids.

Anyways that should resolve itself with a little more time and though Voracek's play is lagging it will be good to have his contract off the books a year earlier than Cam's.

Reactions: thebus88 and LJ7

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
In isolation the trade makes a lot of sense but combined with the Bjorkstrand move its not so great. We had several RW goal scorers capable of potting 30+ and now we only have one. And the plethora of young goal scoring prospects Jarmo made room for (Bemstrom, Marchenko, Chinakhov) aren't scoring a lot of goals yet.

Anyways that should resolve itself with a little more time and though Voracek's play is lagging it will be good to have his contract off the books a year earlier than Cam's.
For sure short term (1-2 years) losing Bjorkstrand was going to bite hard. Can't say for sure if their long term plan is right, but it is what it is and I can totally see the logic behind that plan.

Reactions: Marioesque

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For sure short term (1-2 years) losing Bjorkstrand was going to bite hard. Can't say for sure if their long term plan is right, but it is what it is and I can totally see the logic behind that plan.

I certainly hope you're right and a lot can change in a couple years but I'm not as confident that Jarmo's master plan is the right way.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Not sure, very common for him to complain to the refs every time there is a questionable hook/slash and/or he’s gotten simply outmuscled and the puck taken…

Or when he seemingly yells at teammates for making the same wrong decisions he makes and lack of execution on different plays occurs.

What happened with the yelling match between Voracek and (was it?) Roslovic??

Or is the problem the “kids”/(wannabe) “superstars” he is supposedly “mentoring”??

Reactions: Marioesque

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Not sure, very common for him to complain to the refs every time there is a questionable hook/slash and/or he’s gotten simply outmuscled and the puck taken…

Or when he seemingly yells at teammates for making the same wrong decisions and lack of execution on different plays occurs.

Or is the problem the “kids”/(wannabe) “superstars” he is supposedly “mentoring”??
I wish we had more guys that yell at teammates

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Or when he seemingly yells at teammates for making the same wrong decisions he makes and lack of execution on different plays occurs.

It doesn't look like we have enough info to know whether that interaction is good or bad. I agree that in some contexts yelling and pushing each other can be good.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It doesn't look like we have enough info to know whether that interaction is good or bad. I agree that in some contexts yelling and pushing each other can be good.
There isn’t necessarily a “right” way or a “wrong” way to go about it, but, on the other hand, there is.

Before the “report” of the back and forth between Roslovic/Voracek, I had noticed just from the broadcast of the ice, over MULTIPLE games his “directing” or “complaints” to other players that just rubbed me the wrong way. Seemingly “over the top” and just overall not positive body language/message coming from it. IMO

It’d be different if he was playing like Panarin, but, I can imagine it gets old to some guys getting “chastised” by a guy making the same bad decisions and playing just as bad as you are.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
There isn’t necessarily a “right” way or a “wrong” way to go about it, but, on the other hand, there is.

Before the “report” of the back and forth between Roslovic/Voracek, I had noticed just from the broadcast of the ice, over MULTIPLE games his “directing” or “complaints” to other players that just rubbed me the wrong way. Seemingly “over the top” and just overall not positive body language/message coming from it. IMO

It’d be different if he was playing like Panarin, but, I can imagine it gets old to some guys getting “chastised” by a guy making the same bad decisions and playing just as bad as you are.

I haven't paid attention to this (nor been able to watch enough games) but what I've seen of Voracek this season, I agree he doesn't really back up chastising others by playing well himself :D

Big part of why I thought the addition of Voracek was great was his personality and leadership, he just always seemed to me like a guy who makes a hockey team a more fun place to work at, while providing experience and leadership. It would suck if he became a grumpy old guy with a dark cloud around him.

While he's getting up there in age, based on his play last season I have a hard time imagining he just fell off a cliff that bad, maybe his summer training wasn't ideal. If that's the case, I'd hope it would be a case he over did it and just needs some time bounce back. As you get in your 30s, I think the most difficult thing is keeping up with the aging and adjusting your training, and to some degree your game to work best with that. I think for most players they need to find the thing they absolutely need to maintain to stay effective and on the other hand what they can give up on without losing too much - like opposing examples, Selänne kept getting leaner and leaner from around mid-30s onward to keep his speed at the expense of body mass and strength - the last years he looked like he'd fall on his butt in puck battles around the corners just from the battle aura of opposing players :D - while Jagr would just get bigger and bigger to maintain his strength at the expense of skating.

Many players experience a very sharp decline somewhere around mid 30s or so, but usually you at least get a year or two of warning it might be coming soon and I didn't really see that in Voracek last season.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I haven't paid attention to this (nor been able to watch enough games) but what I've seen of Voracek this season, I agree he doesn't really back up chastising others by playing well himself :D

Big part of why I thought the addition of Voracek was great was his personality and leadership, he just always seemed to me like a guy who makes a hockey team a more fun place to work at, while providing experience and leadership. It would suck if he became a grumpy old guy with a dark cloud around him.

While he's getting up there in age, based on his play last season I have a hard time imagining he just fell off a cliff that bad, maybe his summer training wasn't ideal. If that's the case, I'd hope it would be a case he over did it and just needs some time bounce back. As you get in your 30s, I think the most difficult thing is keeping up with the aging and adjusting your training, and to some degree your game to work best with that. I think for most players they need to find the thing they absolutely need to maintain to stay effective and on the other hand what they can give up on without losing too much - like opposing examples, Selänne kept getting leaner and leaner from around mid-30s onward to keep his speed at the expense of body mass and strength - the last years he looked like he'd fall on his butt in puck battles around the corners just from the battle aura of opposing players :D - while Jagr would just get bigger and bigger to maintain his strength at the expense of skating.

Many players experience a very sharp decline somewhere around mid 30s or so, but usually you at least get a year or two of warning it might be coming soon and I didn't really see that in Voracek last season.
Maybe it's Low T? Mix some Nugenix in with his coffee - good as new!

• Haha
Reactions: thebus88 and Fro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad