Confirmed with Link: Cam Atkinson signed to an extension (3 Years, 3.5 Mil AAV)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Cam is a "complementary winger." That means he'll score 30 goals with the right center, or none if he doesn't have the right linemates.

I think most of this talk about fit with the BlueJackets is a bit misplaced, the bigger questions with Cam is how healthy is Dubi? And does he get the golden ticket with Joey?

For a UFA, $3.5m is a good deal, but it's not a good deal for Cam as an RFA winger. I'm not sure, is this deal covering 2 years of RFA and one of UFA? Or is it 1 RFA and 2 UFA?

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
A good, fair deal imo. But as mentioned, Cam needs to establish himself as a finisher. If he can be a consistent, borderline 30-goal player ( at least 25+ ), then it's a great deal.

Huh? If Cam is scoring 30 goals a year, you're looking at $4.5-$5M million a year.... Not just $4.5M in the third year. And that the 4.5 is in his last year doesn't seem that bad as salaries will escalate to those levels three years from now. I am happy to keep Cam, especially at the salary for years one and two which fits in just fine even as a third line player as long as the third line is built to score.

One other point - as to style of play, who's to say HCTR will be calling the shots in the future?

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Cam is a "complementary winger." That means he'll score 30 goals with the right center, or none if he doesn't have the right linemates.

I think most of this talk about fit with the BlueJackets is a bit misplaced, the bigger questions with Cam is how healthy is Dubi? And does he get the golden ticket with Joey?

For a UFA, $3.5m is a good deal, but it's not a good deal for Cam as an RFA winger. I'm not sure, is this deal covering 2 years of RFA and one of UFA? Or is it 1 RFA and 2 UFA?

It's a good signing but Atkinson will never be a 30 goal scorer.... even with Gretzky..., it's called a skill problem. He's a second/third line tweener at best and I've seen him play 80% of his NHL games...

He and Calvert made last season happen, this season not so much...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Two UFA years, last I checked. Thus my presuming retaining him would have cost more.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Samkow or anybody can you explain what that means I don't understand contracts when you say it covers 2 ufa years

At times, NHL agents cut contracts that extend into years that their player could be an unrestricted free agent... meaning, that player gives up years of play he could sign/play with any team.... (in effect he gives up freedom)

Usually when a player signs into his UFA years he likes the team or situation he has….

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Samkow or anybody can you explain what that means I don't understand contracts when you say it covers 2 ufa years

What Robert said..

If Cam signed a one year deal with us he would become a UFA at the end of next year, and command a higher salary on the open market. Players typically reach UFA age at 27, so it's a plus if you can sign them for the years after 27, because UFA has a much higher standard salary.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's a good signing but Atkinson will never be a 30 goal scorer.... even with Gretzky..., it's called a skill problem. He's a second/third line tweener at best and I've seen him play 80% of his NHL games...

He and Calvert made last season happen, this season not so much...

:laugh: It's not that hard to score 30 in the right situation. Matt Moulson did it 3 times. I say you give Cam 82 games with Joey and there's a decent chance he could do it next year.

Boomshakalaka

Why do I do this?
May 1, 2014
Columbus
We are not leaving room to improve in the offseason with a signing like this. We better not sit on our butts again while everyone else improves.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I agree that Cam on a line for a full season with Joey and either Nick or Hartnell (preferably Nick) would Cam a good chance to pot 30. Of course the idea that TR would keep any line combo together for a week, much less a whole season, suggests that that the scenario will never occur.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
For those concerned about the $4.5M in the last year of the deal, given his cap hit remains at $3.5M AAV moving him likely wouldn't be as problematic. I like the 3 year term and the money doesn't make him tough to move if he really doesn't become what we hope he will be (2/3 RW).

Not a bad deal for a guy that should score 20+g every year and contribute on special teams. I'm not the biggest fan but moving him would put the hole at RW even bigger. I also see players like Bjorkstrand and Milano coming off their ELC (potentially) at the same time Cam's contract would expire. If they push him down the lineup or simply outplay him that would be a good thing and Cam still offers value at the end of his deal to move him at that time if necessary.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
**BUMP**

Just wondering where Cam has gone? Started well under Torts but has been pretty invisible in my opinion. Don't know that he isn't trying but he sure isn't contributing from what I can tell.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
seems like Torts is putting Dubi - Cam - Calvert back together...so maybe he'll jumpstart again

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
**BUMP**

Just wondering where Cam has gone? Started well under Torts but has been pretty invisible in my opinion. Don't know that he isn't trying but he sure isn't contributing from what I can tell.

Not too concerned about it, players go though ups and downs. He's pretty much right on his career pace.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
I think Cam's been decent this year. He seems to be forechecking harder and he's done a good job on the penalty kill. Would like to see him be more of a sniper, but it's hard to when your team never has possession in the offensive zone.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I agree that he started off great under Torts' reigns but yeah, lately his play has diminished.

Last 6 games: 1 goal, 0 assists.. -1.

Last night against the Kings I actually found myself asking if Can was playing or not. I had to look up his official ice time on NHL. He seemed to be non existent until he got the start in OT.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I agree that he started off great under Torts' reigns but yeah, lately his play has diminished.

Last night against the Kings I actually found myself asking if Can was playing or not. I had to look up his official ice time on NHL. He seemed to be non existent until he got the start in OT.

I'm not huge on +/- stat, but -1 on this team isn't that bad given his role. However,
the lack of points could be a concern, but that is Tort's style - win or lose 2-1, 3-2 at worst, always get the 1 point if you can. That makes goals/assists more of a premium than under less defense-oriented coaches.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

Have said the same thing about Saad.. Bottom line is hardly anyone is producing.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Truth be told, I thought Cam has been playing well. He hasn't been racking up points but eh.

He had one (two?) nice assists to Saad during the Montreal game that Saad just whiffed on.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Truth be told, I thought Cam has been playing well. He hasn't been racking up points but eh.

He had one (two?) nice assists to Saad during the Montreal game that Saad just whiffed on.

Same here. Cam needs to convert more as he has missed a few chances as well though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad