Confirmed with Link: Cam Atkinson signed to an extension (3 Years, 3.5 Mil AAV)

MrKelso

Feb 26, 2015
Grove City
I don't really know that he's worth that kind of money.

He isn't physical, can't really forecheck, and he seems to have gotten sloppier with his puck handling this year compared to last.

I hope a healthier team around him will help improve his production next season.

I also hope Calvert gets an extension as well, he may not have the stick skills or speed that Cam does, but he fits more into our style of play.

Just my two cents.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
There in lies the problem. He's not the best fit for our system

This I think is on the money. Put him on the wing in Pitt with either Crosby or Malkin and watch him score 25-30 consistently,imo.

This is also my concern for guys like Bjorkstrand and Milano and Wennberg - skilled guys asked to play in a forechecking system.

As golfers like to say there are courses for horses. I think the same thinking should apply here. Dano and Rychel seem to fit our system the others don't. Hell, I'm not sure Joey fits our system 100%.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I'm ok with the deal. I'll be happier if he starts finishing again. But on the whole I like Cam so I'm pretty ok with things.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
I cannot for the life of me believe folks are actually COMPLAINING about this. I was expecting he'd be past $4m/year, especially after the Zuccarello extension. We get a more than fair deal for both sides... and folks are angry about it. Unbelievable. :facepalm:
slap.gif
Welcome to HFBoards.com; where outrage is manufactured, distributed, and consumed.

Can I interest you in a lopsided Maple Leafs trade proposal?

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
This is also my concern for guys like Bjorkstrand and Milano and Wennberg - skilled guys asked to play in a forechecking system.

System changes. In two - three year we ll have another ( I mean style) team

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
There in lies the problem. He's not the best fit for our system

I don't really know that he's worth that kind of money.

He isn't physical, can't really forecheck, and he seems to have gotten sloppier with his puck handling this year compared to last.

I hope a healthier team around him will help improve his production next season.

I also hope Calvert gets an extension as well, he may not have the stick skills or speed that Cam does, but he fits more into our style of play.

Just my two cents.

This I think is on the money. Put him on the wing in Pitt with either Crosby or Malkin and watch him score 25-30 consistently,imo.

As golfers like to say there are courses for horses. I think the same thinking should apply here. Dano and Rychel seem to fit our system the others don't. Hell, I'm not sure Joey fits our system 100%.

As if forechecking precludes the need to have players who can score goals, or that somehow scoring goals and forechecking are mutually exclusive.

(Ignoring that I'm not sure I know exactly what "our system" is) has anyone been watching Cam's work on the forecheck in recent weeks? What do you guys think forechecking is? Is it exclusively banging an opposing defenseman into the glass? Cam's not weighty for sure, and there are aspects of his game that are lacking, but his skating and stick work on the forecheck have been really good. He's shown streaks of this kind of play before, much like he's been a streaky goal-scorer.

I'm OK with balanced skillsets among the team's rostered players. I think we're awfully quick on this whole "little guy doesn't hit must not fit" thing.

And I can't believe I'm defending the guy - I couldn't be more meh about him.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
As if forechecking precludes the need to have players who can score goals, or that somehow scoring goals and forechecking are mutually exclusive.

I guess my thought is he would flourish in a system that didn't have "get it deep and play from behind their D" as its main mantra. All good teams need a forecheck ability, to have it always be the answer imo is not a system that takes maximum advantage of a guy like Cam. Yes I think he has played much better in recent weeks - on all aspects of his game. And yes I still believe he would be better with Pittsburgh, Detroit, Rangers, Sharks, Tampa Bay.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Good to hear.

As I have said before, and I will say again, this is a tough year to evaluate the true value of guys with such revolving door line-ups due to all the injuries.

And, quite frankly, Cam has been a bright spot in the recent mediocre play of the team. He has been somewhat snake bit, but that happens to pretty much all hockey players at some point in a season.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
RD, there are times I agree with you. However, if Cam proves to be a consistent 20+ goal scorer, that is 2nd line production. I would prefer more consistency game-to-game, but maybe that is where the value is - that Cam can do it in bunches, and the hope is he gets more consistent. He is short of 20 goal pace this year, but not by much. 13 goals in 58 games = 18/19 goals for the season.
The point earlier in thread about his size not matching up with CBJ style - valid point, but we need some speed. Now, if only Cam had better snipe ability - he can shoot, for sure, but need goal results too. Seemed like when Dubi got rolling in Feb, so did Cam/Calvert. Need them 100% healthy, and/or need Cam to figure out how to play without Dubi at full tilt.

That is my problem though. We are paying him a lot in the hopes he will do something when we didn't have to do that right now. We could have waited. It isn't like his value was going to go higher than the contract we just gave him.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Kind of an overpayment, but also sort of had to given Gaborik and Horton didn't work out in back-to-back years.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
That is my problem though. We are paying him a lot in the hopes he will do something when we didn't have to do that right now. We could have waited. It isn't like his value was going to go higher than the contract we just gave him.

It wasn't going to go down either. His max trade value was likely this week, with his contract value probably about as low as it could have been except in mid-January. CBJ didn't get the offer they wanted this week, so decided to keep him. Getting the contract done now, before he goes on a 10-15 goal spree in meaningless games that would only sweeten his contract, makes sense to me. I don't see his contract value going down the next 20+ games regardless of performance. And he's still tradeable after the season if the right deal comes along, and his contract isn't so out of line to discourage offers. I am not advocating trading him, just I think today's move makes sense. Parts 2, 3 and 4 of this chapter yet to be written (pre-draft, draft and then FA period all are part of the analysis). Today gets evaluated as a one-day affair only for the Buyers - how did they do for their playoff run. As much as wish we were a buyer, we weren't even close.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
It wasn't going to go down either. His max trade value was likely this week, with his contract value probably about as low as it could have been except in mid-January. CBJ didn't get the offer they wanted this week, so decided to keep him. Getting the contract done now, before he goes on a 10-15 goal spree in meaningless games that would only sweeten his contract, makes sense to me. I don't see his contract value going down the next 20+ games regardless of performance. And he's still tradeable after the season if the right deal comes along, and his contract isn't so out of line to discourage offers. I am not advocating trading him, just I think today's move makes sense. Parts 2, 3 and 4 of this chapter yet to be written (pre-draft, draft and then FA period all are part of the analysis). Today gets evaluated as a one-day affair only for the Buyers - how did they do for their playoff run. As much as wish we were a buyer, we weren't even close.

I'll take my chances he doesn't do that.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Also, I don't wonder if, by Cam's third year, the CBJ won't be that kind of team any more.

That is my hope. With guys like Wennberg, Millano, Bjorkstrand, Cam, Karlsson,Joey, Murray, maybe Reilly, this years #1? and Clarkson (maybe a :sarcasm: here) I would like to think that we will have enough skill players that we can employ a different system. Of course HCTR was not know for being an offensive genius in Minnesota either. It will be interesting and hopefully rewarding to see how this team evolves.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
That is my hope. With guys like Wennberg, Millano, Bjorkstrand, Cam, Karlsson,Joey, Murray, maybe Reilly, this years #1? and Clarkson (maybe a :sarcasm: here) I would like to think that we will have enough skill players that we can employ a different system. Of course HCTR was not know for being an offensive genius in Minnesota either. It will be interesting and hopefully rewarding to see how this team evolves.

I can see a shift coming, to more of a puck possession game, if all of the more skilled guys pan out. You're previous post(s) about Cam playing the dump and chase isn't the best fit for him are right.

HCTR may not be the best coach for that style of play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad