Waived: Calvin Pickard (waived by Flyers)

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
free wallet if no other team claims him. Grab him up and get his confidence back. He comes with a very good 2nd round draft pick pedigree and many goalies do not figure things out until they are 27. Dubnyk was also released as a 26 year old goalie.

member 157595

I'd pick him up for AHL depth since he's an expiring contract. I don't trust him in the NHL nor do I want him taking up a contract slot after this year.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
This is a no brainer. Marlies need a goalie, and he will help them and give us an option in the case of injury at NHL level.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Why are you so against Pickard?

He’s a young goalie, and has shown flashes of brilliance. He had one really good season with Colorado and the World Cup.

I mean, we’ve also got guys in the pipeline that will challenge him so I don’t see the harm.

Did he give you wedgies in high school?

because he's poopy.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don’t know where Button is getting his information but as far as I know there’s nothing in the CBA about the re-claiming team having priority at any point in time. The time limit in that section of the CBA is a time limit that starts when the Leafs re-claim him. If needed he could stay with the club for up to 10 games/30 days without requiring waivers to go down.

Yeah, there is no priority. It's quite simple, and I don't understand why there's still so much confusion.

Priority order remains the same. If a team higher than the Leafs claim him, they would get him, if a team below the Leafs claim him, the Leafs would get him but he'd need to be placed on our main roster or re-waived, and if the Leafs are the only team to make a claim, they can send him directly to the AHL, without him needing waivers, still following the standard 30 days/10 games rule.

Nothing more, nothing less. Easy peasy.

Reactions: FalcorMulch

KnightsFan110

Apr 23, 2013
I don't see him getting claimed , terrible numbers with the Flyers. Toronto would be wise to stay away. Pretty sure a better goalie could be had in a trade. Thanks for your time with the Marlies Cal , but we need to move on

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I don't see him getting claimed , terrible numbers with the Flyers. Toronto would be wise to stay away. Pretty sure a better goalie could be had in a trade. Thanks for your time with the Marlies Cal , but we need to move on

Who do you suggest the Leafs trade for, that they could assign to the Marlies?

Practically speaking, I can't imagine that the Leafs don't claim him -- they wanted him (and/or McBackup) in the minors as the 3rd string goalie. Marlies goaltending has been atrocious this year.

To me, the only real question(s) are:

#1. Does anyone else take a flier on him as a backup?

#2. Does Tampa put in a claim with Vasilevsky out, knowing that they won't get him right away, but that it would force the Leafs to put him back on waivers within the next couple of days assuming Nylander comes back.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I could see us doing exactly what we did last year amd trade for him after he gets through waivers.

If we claim him today we need to waive again to get him to the Marlies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I could see us doing exactly what we did last year amd trade for him after he gets through waivers.

If we claim him today we need to waive again to get him to the Marlies.

Actually, we don't need to waive him again to get to the Marlies. The only way we would is if he played more than 10 games for us, or was on the Leafs roster for more than 30 days. Given we had waived him previously, he can be sent right down.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He needs to pass through waivers to be assigned to the AHL.

If we claim him, he has not passed through.

He played 11 games for the Flyers.

Seth Griffith played 21 games with the Panthers a few years ago and we were able to re-claim him and put him in the AHL without having to clear waivers again.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Seth Griffith played 21 games with the Panthers a few years ago and we were able to re-claim him and put him in the AHL without having to clear waivers again.
If he plays less than 10 games, the Leafs get first dibs no matter what. After that threshold, if the Leafs claim him, he has to go on waivers. Unless no one else puts in a claim, in which case the Leafs can send him directly to the Marlies. With Seth, only the Leafs put in a claim, so waivers weren't necessary.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Well I guess my knowledge of waiver interactions is wrong or outdated

At least I didnt start blabbering about re-entry waivers :laugh:

It's a little confusing. Either way, I don't think many teams will lineup to claim Pickard. If the Leafs want to upgrade their Marlies goaltending, which seems like a given, then this should be done.

Kings might be a team interested. Maybe the Lightning. That's about it from what I can see.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He needs to pass through waivers to be assigned to the AHL.

If we claim him, he has not passed through.

He played 11 games for the Flyers.

No, if nobody else puts in a claim for him, he doesn't need to pass through waivers.

Michael Augello‏ @MikeInBuffalo 23h23 hours ago
More
According to @CraigJButton, the #Leafs will not be first in line to claim Pickard off of waivers because he has played too many games (11) for the #Flyers, but TOR is the only team that can claim him and place in the AHL without having to go through waivers again.

-----

Note Scott Darling also on waivers today.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It's a little confusing. Either way, I don't think many teams will lineup to claim Pickard. If the Leafs want to upgrade their Marlies goaltending, which seems like a given, then this should be done.

Kings might be a team interested. Maybe the Lightning. That's about it from what I can see.

Ottawa could be interested as well. Their backup is pretty atrocious.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Claimed by Arizona. Makes a lot of sense looking at their roster. I overlooked them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad