Player Discussion: Calvin de Haan

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Didn't we hear that CDH's next contract will not be insurable for the team paying him? In that case, I wonder if he's going to get a long term deal? That's why I posted above that he might be looking at more like a 1-2 year deal at under $4 million per. Or, maybe he gets a long term deal from a team with stupid money who doesn't care about the risk of paying a player who can't play. NYR or TOR?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I have a hard time believing de Haan would sign for only $1.7 million. The fact it's a pretty thin year for UFA defensemen will probably inflate his salary on its own. Add to that the lack of term, and it makes no sense.

That's the kind of salary (and term) that some 38 year old trying to hang on to past glory would sign for.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Didn't we hear that CDH's next contract will not be insurable for the team paying him? In that case, I wonder if he's going to get a long term deal? That's why I posted above that he might be looking at more like a 1-2 year deal at under $4 million per. Or, maybe he gets a long term deal from a team with stupid money who doesn't care about the risk of paying a player who can't play. NYR or TOR?
He is uninsurable. That’s why I’d be willing to gamble on his shoulder for 7 years and an AAV in the high 2s to low 3s. He gets security, and if he does end up getting injured we will be able to bury his salary somewhere. Even on a shorter term contract, an AAV of 5+ could totally kill us if he gets injured again.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He is uninsurable. That’s why I’d be willing to gamble on his shoulder for 7 years and an AAV in the high 2s to low 3s. He gets security, and if he does end up getting injured we will be able to bury his salary somewhere. Even on a shorter term contract, an AAV of 5+ could totally kill us if he gets injured again.

The insurance only matters to the owners/GM's I think, so a shorter term with a higher AAV wouldn't hurt the team any more or less than if he hadn't ever hurt that shoulder.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
The insurance only matters to the owners/GM's I think, so a shorter term with a higher AAV wouldn't hurt the team any more or less than if he hadn't ever hurt that shoulder.
It technically could because LTIR allows the team to only exceed the limit of the cap. Are L&M willing to spend 5+ million over the cap if he has a career ending injury? I don’t know the answer to that. Either way, a lower AAV gives us more flexibility.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It technically could because LTIR allows the team to only exceed the limit of the cap. Are L&M willing to spend 5+ million over the cap if he has a career ending injury? I don’t know the answer to that. Either way, a lower AAV gives us more flexibility.

Definitely want the lower AAV, my point was just that the contract is the contract and it doesn't stop him from being LTIR, it's just that the owners would actually have to pay that instead of the insurance picking it up. I'm not confident any owner would want to do that, let alone our owners.

Reactions: Eberzal

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Definitely want the lower AAV, my point was just that the contract is the contract and it doesn't stop him from being LTIR, it's just that the owners would actually have to pay that instead of the insurance picking it up. I'm not confident any owner would want to do that, let alone our owners.
That’s my point. Not LTIRing him would mean that we can’t acquire a replacement player, therefore making the team worse. It’s easier to acquire a replacement player if insurance is picking up the tab.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That’s my point. Not LTIRing him would mean that we can’t acquire a replacement player, therefore making the team worse. It’s easier to acquire a replacement player if insurance is picking up the tab.

He can be LTIR'ed though, it's just the owners paying instead of the insurance.

Last edited:

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
The contract will likely be incentive based, on number of games played.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hahaha ..... short memory , where did you and cheap get us this past season after Calvin went down with injury ?

Exactly.

We missed him big, people continue to underrate how rock solid he was. He was also our best outlet passer, a dimension we missed probably more than anything else. I'm personally going to miss him as he was a favorite of mine.

Hope he gets paid hard.

Reactions: Instant and D2Dpass

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I am really going to miss de Haan. He was looking like a strong middle pairing, 30 point D before he went down and now there’s caution tape everywhere on him because of an injury that de Haan’s speculative replacement also had!

I’d offer 4 x 4 with him.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
We definitely missed him last year, but that's the point and the problem. If you sign him and count on him, and he gets hurt -- again -- or that shoulder issue lingers, we are screwed. If there are no other options, yeah, but that's something for later in free agency, and only on a short term deal. Hopefully, LL can find the fix to the D issues elsewhere.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

D2Dpass

Sep 30, 2008
Exactly.

We missed him big, people continue to underrate how rock solid he was. He was also our best outlet passer, a dimension we missed probably more than anything else. I'm personally going to miss him as he was a favorite of mine.

Hope he gets paid hard.

A favourite of mine too! Agreed ...'paid hard' :D

Reactions: PWJunior

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I'd be a little concerned if we had 4 million into CDH's shoulder and 7 plus into Karlsson's ankle for long contracts.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Hahaha ..... short memory , where did you and cheap get us this past season after Calvin went down with injury ?
Kulemin= Old and expensive
Grabovski=Old and Expensive
Greiss/Halak= Old and Expensive
Boychuk, Clutterbuck, Ladd
Where did this get us?
I'm not sure why the NYI are looking to be a mediocrity team. They need young star players. Giving DeHaan five million per may look ok now but in a few years it will be an albatross. See above.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'd be a little concerned if we had 4 million into CDH's shoulder and 7 plus into Karlsson's ankle for long contracts.

I know that 3 shoulder surgeries is concerning, but 2 of those were before he was in the NHL. Obviously the latest injury is fresh in our minds, but he's been pretty durable other than that while he's been in the NHL. He was never one of those players that would miss a couple of games here and there with a litany of injuries. Take out the last shoulder injury, I would venture to guess that he missed more games because Capuano was a dumbass (playing Voldemort) rather than not being able to go.

I would love to be able to bring him back on a short term deal so the Isles limit their risk and CdH can help recoup his value so he can be in line for the big score. That bridge may be burned, but I hope Lou can recognize that we're a much better team with CdH around.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
A short term contract could be a good thing for him in the long run if he has a solid year this season, but he got burned with the short contract last year. If he's injured again it would be financial disaster. If I was him I'd be looking for a minimum three year contract with financial incentives.

I feel for him as I'm going to PT twice a week for my shoulder. Currently, I'd say my shoulder is worth about 1.7 cents.

Reactions: PWJunior

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I know that 3 shoulder surgeries is concerning, but 2 of those were before he was in the NHL. Obviously the latest injury is fresh in our minds, but he's been pretty durable other than that while he's been in the NHL. He was never one of those players that would miss a couple of games here and there with a litany of injuries. Take out the last shoulder injury, I would venture to guess that he missed more games because Capuano was a dumbass (playing Voldemort) rather than not being able to go.

I would love to be able to bring him back on a short term deal so the Isles limit their risk and CdH can help recoup his value so he can be in line for the big score. That bridge may be burned, but I hope Lou can recognize that we're a much better team with CdH around.

I'm still interested to see where his value is at after the injury. He burned his bridges with Weight and Snow, not Lou. I still remember how good he looked when he first came up. I wish Cappy was not in charge of developing him.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm still interested to see where his value is at after the injury. He burned his bridges with Weight and Snow, not Lou. I still remember how good he looked when he first came up. I wish Cappy was not in charge of developing him.

Capuano did such a piss poor job of handling CdH, it's a testament to his talent level and smarts to develop as he did. Never really got a chance in offensive situations, was deployed as a shutdown guy. What could have been... we did get a Dan Hamhuis type which is still pretty damn good. Still, any untapped offensive ability has probably been beaten out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad