Player Discussion: Calvin de Haan

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
dont know where to put this....was looking for a thread to post this in---feel free to merge if you deem appropriate, mods....(sorry to give you work ;))

i see calvin is practicing w/ main group....will he play tomorrow?

if so, what are our pairings?

demonic
boychuk-leddy
strait-hickey?

id leave reinhart in there for a few more games, but you know we wont

Last edited by a moderator:

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
dont know where to put this....was looking for a thread to post this in---feel free to merge if you deem appropriate, mods....(sorry to give you work ;))

demonic
boychuk-leddy
strait-hickey?

If he's ready get him in there. Probably not in top condition and may have to go to B'Port on a conditioning assignment.
Hickey is so under rated. He is smart and battles to recover when he is overmatched. Strait is Bruno Gervais. Was a fill in when we couldn't get warm bodies on defense. Maybe with Hickey covering for him the pairing will be better than with Griff.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

demonic
boychuk-leddy
strait-hickey?

Arthur Staple @StapeNewsday · 1h
@garik16 @Bleuchz Also, de Haan isn't ready to return tomorrow. One practice after a week of camp doesn't equal game-ready.

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/status/521677173695188992?lang=en

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I don't expect to see DeHaan this week. Maybe by Saturday if we have a game.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
and agreed....hickey is EXTREMELY underrated....

i think he is working his way into being a legitimate top 4 dman in the NHL

great skater, great breakout passes and plays much more physical than his size....you really dont see him get pushed around very often....i think he would have been a perfect fit to pair with reinhart to start the season

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Staple initially said 3-4 games for de Haan.

Based off the schedule, I think next Tuesday is a possible target date for his return.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
IMO, when CdH returns it should be:

CdH - Hamonic
Leddy - Boychuk
Hickey - Reinhart

When Vis returns, slot him into Griff's spot and your pairings are set. No shuffling needed. Plus Hickey would be a good D partner for Griff. Smart, reliable, and can move the puck.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004

CdH - Hamonic
Leddy - Boychuk
Hickey - Reinhart

When Vis returns, slot him into Griff's spot and your pairings are set. No shuffling needed. Plus Hickey would be a good D partner for Griff. Smart, reliable, and can move the puck.

^^ This :yo:

StumpNYI

Sep 10, 2010

CdH - Hamonic
Leddy - Boychuk
Hickey - Reinhart

Totally agree. Drop Strait down the depth chart asap. These pairings look good.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

CdH - Hamonic
Leddy - Boychuk
Hickey - Reinhart

Agreed. I see Strait way back on the depth chart now with Reinhart and Pulock both being acceptable bottom pairing options. Waive Strait and let him be an injury callup.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I definitely think Reinhart should stay over Strait. He has been good enough in his first two games, and I think he's ready to get fully adjusted to the NHL game. He's part of the future, Strait isn't.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
I definitely think Reinhart should stay over Strait. He has been good enough in his first two games, and I think he's ready to get fully adjusted to the NHL game. He's part of the future, Strait isn't.

I agree but it wont happen, The Islanders are going to have to send someone down when deHaan comes off IR. This means waiving MacDonald, Boulton, Donovon, Strait or sending Grif down. Unfortunately it will come down to asset management and Big Grif will be playing first pair in Bridgeport as early as this weekend.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I really don't like Reinhart on the right-side.

I don't either, but they aren't going to shift a guy like Hickey over just to move him right back once Vis returns. Plus, knowing how to play both sides will help Reinhart that much more once we end up needing him later in the year.

He's handled himself well to this point. IMO it's a good learning experience for him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I really hope CDH can stay healthy and give us the same play we saw from him in the 2nd half of last year.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
I would go with these pairings:

Boychuk-Leddy
Hamonic-Hickey
CDH-Reinhardt

Give Big Griff a few games paired with Calvin. It would be a good experience. When Vis comes back reunite CDH and Hammer and Hickey back with Vis.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Man, I can't wait to see this defense at full strength, really want to see the difference in adding back CDH and Vis back to this defense, see how much they can cut down the opposing scoring chance

Also wanna keep Reinhart up with the team, let Boychuck and Vis teach him. This defense, outside of Boychuck and Hamonic is tiny, we can really use Reinhart's size back there. CDH, Hickey, Leddy and Vis are all small. Oh yeah, and make sure CDH is wrapped head to toe with bubble wrap under his uniform when he comes back.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Man, I can't wait to see this defense at full strength, really want to see the difference in adding back CDH and Vis back to this defense, see how much they can cut down the opposing scoring chance

Also wanna keep Reinhart up with the team, let Boychuck and Vis teach him. This defense, outside of Boychuck and Hamonic is tiny, we can really use Reinhart's size back there. CDH, Hickey, Leddy and Vis are all small. Oh yeah, and make sure CDH is wrapped head to toe with bubble wrap under his uniform when he comes back.

Scott, seems like a long time ago the Islanders could field at team with six real NHL defenseman. At least the smaller guys move the puck well, Johnny B's size adds so much to the group.

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
Scott, seems like a long time ago the Islanders could field at team with six real NHL defenseman. At least the smaller guys move the puck well, Johnny B's size adds so much to the group.

Don't get me wrong Rex, I'm so excited about our additions and getting CDH back. I've come around on Hickey and see his value, he really is a solid Dman, and obviously CDH wowed us all last season. Get him back and add Vis, and this will be our best D squad we've had in some time. But the East is a big tough Conference, I'm worried about injuries with our small dmen, obviously 2 of them were hurt before the season even started.

DPSNAGS

Dec 3, 2007
I agree but it wont happen, The Islanders are going to have to send someone down when deHaan comes off IR. This means waiving MacDonald, Boulton, Donovon, Strait or sending Grif down. Unfortunately it will come down to asset management and Big Grif will be playing first pair in Bridgeport as early as this weekend.

Reinhart played 17 minutes Saturday against Carolina. Playing 17 minutes in the NHL is a better learning experience than 22-23 in the AHL. I'd rather see big Grif on the PK and in the top 6 than strait whose been much worse. They say they want to win now and that means playing your best players.

The only real negative that we have been talking about are the PK and Strait so Strait needs to be sat as soon as possible. I hope Donovan plays for him tmm.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Don't get me wrong Rex, I'm so excited about our additions and getting CDH back. I've come around on Hickey and see his value, he really is a solid Dman, and obviously CDH wowed us all last season. Get him back and add Vis, and this will be our best D squad we've had in some time. But the East is a big tough Conference, I'm worried about injuries with our small dmen, obviously 2 of them were hurt before the season even started.

Very true about the injuries and the smaller D this season, down the road it does not look like a problem. Finally it feels like things are starting to come together.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011

You bring up a good point about the size of our D. Even though we have Hammer, Boychuk and Pulock on the right side I hope that we can find a way to use Mayfield long term.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

What would he do though? Once de Haan and Visnovsky comes back, where's the room for Reinhart? He doesn't gain anything by sitting in the press box. Strait or even Carkner in the press box as our 7th defenseman helps everybody because it allows the young-ins to develop in Bridgeport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad