OT: Calling All SFU/UBC Students

BoHorvat53

Crabs!
Mar 29, 2010
British Columbia
Hey all, I was hoping if someone from either of these schools could provide me some information.

Do both of these schools offer these programs?
-Chemistry (Bachelor's of Science or PHD) - I'm pretty sure this is a yes.
-Pharmacy
-Accounting (I need an opinion here. My family members went into this field, but took Accounting 11 and 12. Will I be totally lost if I get admitted since I didn't?)

I think my average will be around 83%, could be a bit higher. I already applied to SFU with general as the second choice since the average is usually only 80%.

What are my chances of getting into UBC? Slim? Science is out of the question.. 93-94%+ :( I don't think there's a general at UBC anymore. How can I optimize my chances? I thought about applying to Arts and to just take Science courses, but the adviser said last years Arts average was 89%. Yikes.

If you don't mind, would you post the average you had that got you admitted? I want to see if I should even bother applying to UBC.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Hey all, I was hoping if someone from either of these schools could provide me some information.

-Chemistry (Bachelor's of Science or PHD) - I'm pretty sure this is a yes. Yes
-Pharmacy Yes
-Accounting (I need an opinion here. My family members went into this field, but took Accounting 11 and 12. Will I be totally lost if I get admitted since I didn't?) Both schools offer it. You won't be lost but the likelyhood you get accepted into Sauder is low

I think my average will be around 83%, could be a bit higher. I already applied to SFU with general as the second choice since the average is usually only 80%.

What are my chances of getting into UBC? Slim? Science is out of the question.. 93-94%+ :( I don't think there's a general at UBC anymore. How can I optimize my chances? I thought about applying to Arts and to just take Science courses, but the adviser said last years Arts average was 89%. Yikes.

If you don't mind, would you post the average you had that got you admitted? I want to see if I should even bother applying to UBC.

It's all dependent. For example, UBC puts a lot of weight into your English grade and your supplemental submission.

I got into UBC Engineering with an 88, however I didn't get accepted until they reviewed my supplemental and got clarification on my English mark. At the point of application my English mark was 72 (my English teacher had something against me, I swear :laugh:). However, I got an 94 on the English provincial. I also had my supplemental edited multiple times by various sources (teachers, advisors, etc). My friends didn't get accepted into UBC despite having 95%+ averages. His English was only at an 84, though, UofT accepted him.

Another thing to keep in mind, if you do apply to UBC, specialty faculties look at where your preferences are. If you put Business as your second option, Business won't even look at your submission. This goes the same with HKIN (to a smaller extent).

My advice, if your supplemental is extremely strong, it's worth a shot to try to get into UBC.

I'm also almost 100% positive there is still General Admissions.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
<- 3rd year UBC student

UBC does offer all the programs you mentioned. For clarification, Pharmacy only starts in your second year which means you theoretically could get in as an Arts student, take the pre-requisite courses then apply for the program.

http://www.pharmacy.ubc.ca/programs/degree-programs/BscP/academic-admission-requirements

Accounting is done through the Bachelor of Commerce program; you would "specialize" in the field starting in your 3rd year. You wouldn't be lost if you haven't taken any accounting in high school; I did just fine through Financial and Managerial accounting without having any prior schooling in the subject.

Your average does veer on the wrong aside of the admission average, but supplementary applications are increasingly important in the acceptance process. If you had an active extracurricular life you should have a decent shot at getting into Arts or depending on what you did, Sauder. Sciences might be out of reach, however, in which case a transfer once you're in would be the better option.

Keep in mind transfering from SFU or elsewhere to UBC won't be too troublesome if you can keep a 3.5+ GPA in your first two years. A lot of people drop off badly once in university when compared to high school. I wouldn't use it as a primary plan, though.

BoHorvat53

Crabs!
Mar 29, 2010
British Columbia
It's all dependent. For example, UBC puts a lot of weight into your English grade and your supplemental submission.

I got into UBC Engineering with an 88, however I didn't get accepted until they reviewed my supplemental and got clarification on my English mark. At the point of application my English mark was 72 (my English teacher had something against me, I swear :laugh:). However, I got an 94 on the English provincial. I also had my supplemental edited multiple times by various sources (teachers, advisors, etc). My friends didn't get accepted into UBC despite having 95%+ averages. His English was only at an 84, though, UofT accepted him.

Another thing to keep in mind, if you do apply to UBC, specialty faculties look at where your preferences are. If you put Business as your second option, Business won't even look at your submission. This goes the same with HKIN (to a smaller extent).

My advice, if your supplemental is extremely strong, it's worth a shot to try to get into UBC.

I'm also almost 100% positive there is still General Admissions.

Supplemental as in clubs, volunteer, etc right? That's not too strong right now, but I could always do more community work. Also getting 80 in English right now.

@Vinny: I never excel or have one strong suit. My marks are always similar.

Ex: Grade 8 - 83% avrg.
Grade 9 - 83% avrg.
Grade 10 - 83% avrg.
Grade 11 - 83% avrg.
Grade 12 - 83% avrg.

I can get by fine because I spend enough time in each class, but I can never excel at any.

Last edited:

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I did work experience at a pharmacy once, and one of the pharmacists was a graduate of UBC pharmacy. She said you could technically get in during your second year, but most people don't get accepted until after they get their first degree (usually a BSc).

And for Accounting, Beedie (SFU) is better than Sauder, but also harder to get into. You either get involved a lot, or have a 98% average my friend did (damn her and her smartness).

I'm a second-year SFU student, for reference.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Supplemental as in clubs, volunteer, etc right? That's not too strong right now, but I could always do more community work.

You don't necessarily need a lot of volunteer work. What you need is to demonstrate your passion about certain aspects about your life; passions that can help contribute or show why you deserve to be at UBC.

For example, my supplemental included my love of design (architecture, planning, project management) and my involvement with sports (playing, coaching, refereeing). Neither of these things related to Engineering to a huge extent, but rather shows who I am, and what about me can be a contributor to UBC.

Keep in mind, this supplemental is used to determine how well you can communicate your passions to going to UBC. Clear, straight-foward, but impactful English is extremely important.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver

-Pharmacy
-Accounting (I need an opinion here. My family members went into this field, but took Accounting 11 and 12. Will I be totally lost if I get admitted since I didn't?)

I don't think you'll get into SFU business (Beedie) on an 83%, it's been a couple years since first year but I remember the requirement being a lot higher than that, ESPECIALLY for people trying to transfer in from another program (like general studies) or another institution. I don't think it's as high if you go straight in.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

-Pharmacy

Accounting isn't an undergrad degree program, it's a post graduate diploma program that prepares you to write the CA/CGA/CMA professional examination. Applicants must have either an undergrad (4 year) degree or can apply for an exception as a mature student based on work/life experience. If your interest is accounting, there are quicker ways to do it than through UBC, however, as an old guy / father type figure, I would say that a broad undergraduate education is of enormous benefit to anyone regardless of career plans.

The Bachelors program is Bachelor of Commerce. It's a highly rated program and also one of the more competitive programs to get into. You can however complete the Accounting Diploma program concurrently with the senior year of your undergrad degree.

I went through Sauder for my MBA, so I don't know admission requirements for undergrad commerce. I had a 3.9 undergrad GPA, a 690 GMAT score and 20 years of work experience.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I don't think you'll get into SFU business (Beedie) on an 83%, it's been a couple years since first year but I remember the requirement being a lot higher than that, ESPECIALLY for people trying to transfer in from another program (like general studies) or another institution. I don't think it's as high if you go straight in.

Last time I heard, the average for Beedie was 95~%

BoHorvat53

Crabs!
Mar 29, 2010
British Columbia
You don't necessarily need a lot of volunteer work. What you need is to demonstrate your passion about certain aspects about your life; passions that can help contribute or show why you deserve to be at UBC.

For example, my supplemental included my love of design (architecture, planning, project management) and my involvement with sports (playing, coaching, refereeing). Neither of these things related to Engineering to a huge extent, but rather shows who I am, and what about me can be a contributor to UBC.

Keep in mind, this supplemental is used to determine how well you can communicate your passions to going to UBC. Clear, straight-foward, but impactful English is extremely important.

Do you know if they're going to be asking for proof? I used to play in an organized ball hockey league when I was young for 7 years, but I stopped. I have T-Shirts to show for it, lol, but we never got any medals or anything.

I guess I'll drop off accounting. It was only there since my cousins and siblings went that direction.

dittohead

Mar 3, 2004
Berkeley, CA
I don't know much about pharmacy or accounting at either school but if you are interested in Chemistry UBC is definitely the way to go, especially if you plan on doing graduate school eventually.

If you don't get in I would recommend the University transfer. You can transfer in after 1st or 2nd year. I'm a current PhD student in chemistry at UBC and I went the University transfer route via Langara for my BSc. I would say that half of the undergraduate thesis students we have had in our research group over the last 4 years have been college transfer students and all have done quite well. There is definitely a perception that transfer students are weaker than those who start at UBC from the get go, but this is a view that it starting to change.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Wait, does SFU actually have a pharmacy program? I thought only UBC did. Am I that out of it?

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
If you are deciding to go into sciences, realize that an undergraduate in science is almost useless. So whether or not you get a BSc at UBC or SFU is irrelevant. What's relevant is you have an extremely high GPA in university to apply to a graduate program somewhere.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I went to SFU Accounting, chose it over UBC because i refused to pay $60 to do another application for Sauder and it was only to show Volunteer hours. Rip off and i know someone who now works for the Big4 who lied on that application. Shows how much it is worth in the long run, but i was pretty petty back then.

In any case, my average from highschool was 93.4%. I got early admittance by SFU.

I do not advise just jumping into arts and trying to work your way to transfer into a different faculty. Over my 5 years at SFU, you simply have no idea how many students try to get into business and fail to do so every semester. Then they get funnelled into the other faculties like Econ and Communications. I was an Econ minor as well my concentration in Accounting and this is what people in my class told me. They try to raise their GPA up enough to get into Business but they can't.

----

Life advice: even though a lot of people like SFU, as an alum, I can safely say, it was perhaps my biggest regret in my life so far. Going to that mountain 3-4 days a week during the winter was just killer in a depressing kind of way. It really lacks the college/university atmosphere and this is coming from someone who was heavily active in business clubs (board member) and helped organize case competitions.

I've been graduated over two years now and i've only gone back once for my friends' grad. I never want to step foot on that campus again.

But their business co-op program was the shining beacon that saved this experience for me.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I don't know much about pharmacy or accounting at either school but if you are interested in Chemistry UBC is definitely the way to go, especially if you plan on doing graduate school eventually.

If you don't get in I would recommend the University transfer. You can transfer in after 1st or 2nd year. I'm a current PhD student in chemistry at UBC and I went the University transfer route via Langara for my BSc. I would say that half of the undergraduate thesis students we have had in our research group over the last 4 years have been college transfer students and all have done quite well. There is definitely a perception that transfer students are weaker than those who start at UBC from the get go, but this is a view that it starting to change.

Did you ever have Ciufolini? :laugh:

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
If you are deciding to go into sciences, realize that an undergraduate in science is almost useless. So whether or not you get a BSc at UBC or SFU is irrelevant. What's relevant is you have an extremely high GPA in university to apply to a graduate program somewhere.

Go to UBC then. SFU has a crazy hard marking scheme. 90% would net you an A+ at UBC, but only an A at SFU.

Life advice: even though a lot of people like SFU, as an alum, I can safely say, it was perhaps my biggest regret in my life so far. Going to that mountain 3-4 days a week during the winter was just killer in a depressing kind of way. It really lacks the college/university atmosphere and this is coming from someone who was heavily active in business clubs (board member) and helped organize case competitions.

I've been graduated over two years now and i've only gone back once for my friend's grad. I never want to step foot on that campus again.

But their business co-op program was the shining beacon that saved this experience for me.

Winter at SFU is just plain depressing, but I had no choice of where to go; only SFU offers criminology.

BoHorvat53

Crabs!
Mar 29, 2010
British Columbia

http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/chemenviro

Do you know if I can get a Chemistry diploma from BCIT and switch to UBC instead of Langara? The link listed above is what I applied for. (It's a pretty easy program to get into, but I would rather go to SFU/UBC than BCIT)

Wait, does SFU actually have a pharmacy program? I thought only UBC did. Am I that out of it?

When I look up pharmacy at SFU I get sent to this page:

http://students.sfu.ca/calendar/faculty-science.html

It lists the UBC pharmacy program, don't see one for SFU, though.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Go to UBC then. SFU has a crazy hard marking scheme. 90% would net you an A+ at UBC, but only an A at SFU.

All transcript reflect the average of the class to your grade. I don't think it makes a huge difference.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Winter at SFU is just plain depressing, but I had no choice of where to go; only SFU offers criminology.

If I went back to do any other major, it would have been Criminology. Loved my classes in 1st year and its so interesting in comparison business classes.

That's sucks not having a choice, but i hear the program is excellent.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/chemenviro

Do you know if I can get a Chemistry diploma from BCIT and switch to UBC instead of Langara? The link listed above is what I applied for. (It's a pretty easy program to get into, but I would rather go to SFU/UBC than BCIT)

When I look up pharmacy at SFU I get sent to this page:

http://students.sfu.ca/calendar/faculty-science.html

It lists the UBC pharmacy program, don't see one for SFU, though.

the new ubc pharm building is pretty sick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad