OT: Calling All SFU/UBC Students

dittohead

Mar 3, 2004
Berkeley, CA
http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/chemenviro

Do you know if I can get a Chemistry diploma from BCIT and switch to UBC instead of Langara? The link listed above is what I applied for. (It's a pretty easy program to get into, but I would rather go to SFU/UBC than BCIT)

I have not come across anyone at UBC from BCIT in the Chemistry BSc program so I can't offer much advice there. You would have to see if the courses you take there transfer to UBC.

From what I know/have heard the chemistry courses at Langara, Douglas, and Cap are all pretty good. For what its worth, the description of the program in the link suggests that it is best if you are interested in analytical chemistry. Definitely not the most interesting area, but one of the best for employment later.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
If I went back to do any other major, it would have been Criminology. Loved my classes in 1st year and its so interesting in comparison business classes.

That's sucks not having a choice, but i hear the program is excellent.

Best in the country apparently, but majorly underfunded.

BoHorvat53

Crabs!
Mar 29, 2010
British Columbia
I have not come across anyone at UBC from BCIT in the Chemistry BSc program so I can't offer much advice there. You would have to see if the courses you take there transfer to UBC.

From what I know/have heard the chemistry courses at Langara, Douglas, and Cap are all pretty good. For what its worth, the description of the program in the link suggests that it is best if you are interested in analytical chemistry. Definitely not the most interesting area, but one of the best for employment later.

Hmm, because this was the only Chemistry program at BCIT. I chose it because of this:

http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/537adiplt#details

My chances are transferring to SFU are pretty decent, but UBC isn't one of the schools listed. It's possible for me to transfer from SFU to UBC once I finish my BSc with a high GPA, right?

Eppic

Nov 30, 2012
I just graduated from the pharmacy program at UBC a couple years ago. I did my first year at UBCO in the "pre-pharmacy" program. After first year I applied for Pharmacy but was not accepted. Still transferred to UBC Vancouver though, and did all the pre-reqs I could. I wrote the PCAT again, did well, reapplied and was accepted (UBC average was ~80%).

It's actually a pretty easy program once you get in, though competition is fairly tough. I think 800+ kids applied for ~150 spots. They've just opened up the new building and class sizes have increased to ~250 I think, so getting in should be easier now.

Unfortunately, my grad class was the last of the "golden era", and now there's less job security and lower wages for pharmacists (especially in Vancouver)

Hope that helps

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
All transcript reflect the average of the class to your grade. I don't think it makes a huge difference.

It makes a difference. If you're applying to graduate schools, they don't care how you did relative to the class, they just care about your grades. Your transcript does show what the class averages were, but they aren't a reflection of the quality of students in the class. For example, pharmacology classes at UBC have a ridiculously high average, but that's because the average student in pharmacology had a 90+ average at UBC before they got accepted into the program.

dittohead

Mar 3, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Hmm, because this was the only Chemistry program at BCIT. I chose it because of this:

http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/537adiplt#details

My chances are transferring to SFU are pretty decent, but UBC isn't one of the schools listed. It's possible for me to transfer from SFU to UBC once I finish my BSc with a high GPA, right?

Once you get your BSc you don't need to transfer anywhere. If you choose to go on to grad school there is no transfer process, just apply. Of course you need good grades (>80% average in chemistry courses is needed to get into the PhD program at UBC), research experience is almost a must, and publications and reference letters tend to carry the most weight.

BoHorvat53

Crabs!
Mar 29, 2010
British Columbia
Once you get your BSc you don't need to transfer anywhere. If you choose to go on to grad school there is no transfer process, just apply. Of course you need good grades (>80% average in chemistry courses is needed to get into the PhD program at UBC), research experience is almost a must, and publications and reference letters tend to carry the most weight.

Thanks! Does anyone know if Bachelor's of Education is just general admission? Usually it's for become a teacher, no?

BoHorvat53

Crabs!
Mar 29, 2010
British Columbia
I don't know for UBC, but for SFU, you apply directly for to the faculty.

Yeah, because I don't see a general here. There are a lot of generals for UBCO, but I'm not interested in UBCO.

5k90eE.jpg

It allows me to apply to one of these programs along with a second program to apply to OR just the Bach of Education.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
If you're going to do Chemistry, do it at UBC. UBC is, with U of Toronto, the best school for chemistry in Canada and is internationally recognized. While the education for the lower-level classes are fairly similar, the amount of opportunities in UBC Chemistry is far greater than SFU in terms of connections and research. Though that goes with most major sciences since UBC is a largely a research school. I did a Chemistry minor and trust me, it's worth it (I went to both schools). For UBC sciences, you pick your major in second year and is a separate admissions process (they look at your grades and pre requisites).

Also, there's no discrepancy between grades comparing the schools; it all depends on the professor you get and their policies on scaling. SFU will not necessarily be easier on your grades than UBC will be.

If you're going to apply to Pharmacy school, be sure to brush up on your extracurriculars; Pharmacy admission is highly competitive. Be ready to take the PCATs, and several prerequisites and to go through an interview process (if your grades and non-academics are good enough).

BoHorvat53

Crabs!
Mar 29, 2010
British Columbia
If you're going to do Chemistry, do it at UBC. UBC is, with U of Toronto, the best school for chemistry in Canada and is internationally recognized. While the education for the lower-level classes are fairly similar, the amount of opportunities in UBC Chemistry is far greater than SFU in terms of connections and research. Though that goes with most major sciences since UBC is a largely a research school. I did a Chemistry minor and trust me, it's worth it (I went to both schools). For UBC sciences, you pick your major in second year and is a separate admissions process (they look at your grades and pre requisites).

Also, there's no discrepancy between grades comparing the schools; it all depends on the professor you get and their policies on scaling. SFU will not necessarily be easier on your grades than UBC will be.

If you're going to apply to Pharmacy school, be sure to brush up on your extracurriculars; Pharmacy admission is highly competitive. Be ready to take the PCATs, and several prerequisites and to go through an interview process (if your grades and non-academics are good enough).

That's what I would like to do, it's a matter of getting admitted to UBC, though. D:

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
An 83% average should make you a decent candidate for the sciences. I didn't read the thread but I hope your English 12 and 11 marks are up to par. I'm not sure if they look at the school or the strength of your courses but I had an 84% average coming out of high school but my courseload was mainly AP courses (accepted to both UBC and SFU).

Also, if all fails, go to SFU and transfer later; make sure to have around an A- average in SFU and they should accept you for admission after first year (they will also look at your high school grades, so heads up).

BoHorvat53

Crabs!
Mar 29, 2010
British Columbia
An 83% average should make you a decent candidate for the sciences. I didn't read the thread but I hope your English 12 and 11 marks are up to par. I'm not sure if they look at the school or the strength of your courses but I had an 84% average coming out of high school but my courseload was mainly AP courses (accepted to both UBC and SFU).

Also, if all fails, go to SFU and transfer later; make sure to have around an A- average in SFU and they should accept you for admission after first year (they will also look at your high school grades, so heads up).

I'm in decent standing for SFU, but I don't think my marks are good enough for UBC. Science is extremely competitive with averages ranging at 93%+.

I'm thinking about applying to Arts or Forestry to get in and then take Chemistry courses for the eventual change in majors.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
I think you may be overestimating the sciences but things may have changed since I've graduated. Either way, transferring from SFU or changing majors in UBC both require about the same GPA so I would probably do my best to keep around an 80+/A- average in either school.

Good luck.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I got a BBA from SFU, but took two years towards BCom for UBC... For anyone interested in taking BCom at UBC (or, BBA at SFU) you might want to consider starting out at Capilano University - Commerce Transfer Program: https://www.capilanou.ca/commerce/

The first two years of the BCom program can be done at Capilano... and then you can transfer into UBC for years 3 and 4... You are well prepared, it's cheaper, and it's a party (at least, it was)...

I started out at Capilano for the music program, but then got drawn to the Commerce Transfer Program... It is (or at least was) a nice program...

My personal preference was to move to SFU, but once you've got two years under your belt, you've got options... Not all the courses transfer over for SFU, but enough do, to make it worthwhile (at least, for me)...

To the original poster, I think you should look into this option if you're interested to get into UBC business (and accounting)... You'd be well prepared...

BoHorvat53

Crabs!
Mar 29, 2010
British Columbia
I think you may be overestimating the sciences but things may have changed since I've graduated. Either way, transferring from SFU or changing majors in UBC both require about the same GPA so I would probably do my best to keep around an 80+/A- average in either school.

Good luck.

There's a chance I am, haha. That's what I was told when I contacted UBC. A lot of my friends who have a higher average aren't even applying to UBC because of it. I figured that that could be my ticket in if there's too many people who are too intimidated to apply.

I got a BBA from SFU, but took two years towards BCom for UBC... For anyone interested in taking BCom at UBC (or, BBA at SFU) you might want to consider starting out at Capilano University - Commerce Transfer Program: https://www.capilanou.ca/commerce/

The first two years of the BCom program can be done at Capilano... and then you can transfer into UBC for years 3 and 4... You are well prepared, it's cheaper, and it's a party (at least, it was)...

I started out at Capilano for the music program, but then got drawn to the Commerce Transfer Program... It is (or at least was) a nice program...

My personal preference was to move to SFU, but once you've got two years under your belt, you've got options... Not all the courses transfer over for SFU, but enough do, to make it worthwhile (at least, for me)...

To the original poster, I think you should look into this option if you're interested to get into UBC business (and accounting)... You'd be well prepared...

Awesome, sounds good. I definitely will consider this.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I did work experience at a pharmacy once, and one of the pharmacists was a graduate of UBC pharmacy. She said you could technically get in during your second year, but most people don't get accepted until after they get their first degree (usually a BSc).

And for Accounting, Beedie (SFU) is better than Sauder, but also harder to get into. You either get involved a lot, or have a 98% average my friend did (damn her and her smartness).

I'm a second-year SFU student, for reference.

I'm a designated accountant (CMA) and from what I know the accountancy program at Sauder is considered better by those I know in the industry.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I'm a designated accountant (CMA) and from what I know the accountancy program at Sauder is considered better by those I know in the industry.

Ah okay. I hear that Beedie is a better business school than Sauder, so I just applied a blanket assumption.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
There's a chance I am, haha. That's what I was told when I contacted UBC. A lot of my friends who have a higher average aren't even applying to UBC because of it. I figured that that could be my ticket in if there's too many people who are too intimidated to apply.

Pretty terrible attitude that most high schoolers have. Back in the day, I wasn't going to apply to Honours Sciences at Waterloo or the Chemistry program at McGill because I thought I wasn't good enough with a <90 average, and I managed to get accepted to both programs though I eventually decided not to go. Always always apply to any schools you're serious about going to even though they may be out of your reach by a bit. Also, I still call bs on that 93 average; that's what most Sauder expects, not the UBC faculty of science.

It's always good to have a few reach schools because there is always the chance you'll be accepted. I would definitely apply to UBC sciences along with the Arts/Forestry as your second/third choice (if they still have that?) just in case.

Do note that Chemistry majors with a Bsc get majorly screwed for jobs after graduation. You'll definitely want at least a Masters to be competitive in the field, and even then it'll be difficult since there's an oversaturation of Chem grad students (thought that does go for most sciences like Biology also). I would keep an open mind about a future career rather than jump blindly into Chemistry. You may want to consider Engineering for example, if you're interested in Chemistry.

BoHorvat53

Crabs!
Mar 29, 2010
British Columbia
Pretty terrible attitude that most high schoolers have. Back in the day, I wasn't going to apply to Honours Sciences at Waterloo or the Chemistry program at McGill because I thought I wasn't good enough with a <90 average, and I managed to get accepted to both programs though I eventually decided not to go. Always always apply to any schools you're serious about going to even though they may be out of your reach by a bit. Also, I still call bs on that 93 average; that's what most Sauder expects, not the UBC faculty of science.

It's always good to have a few reach schools because there is always the chance you'll be accepted. I would definitely apply to UBC sciences along with the Arts/Forestry as your second/third choice (if they still have that?) just in case.

Do note that Chemistry majors with a Bsc get majorly screwed for jobs after graduation. You'll definitely want at least a Masters to be competitive in the field, and even then it'll be difficult since there's an oversaturation of Chem grad students (thought that does go for most sciences like Biology also). I would keep an open mind about a future career rather than jump blindly into Chemistry. You may want to consider Engineering for example, if you're interested in Chemistry.

I was hoping to be a pharmacist. That's why I chose to dive into Chemistry.

Woah, is it $75 just to submit the Supplemental? Then the $60 application?

andy1218

Jul 5, 2009
Also I think Education degree is you either do a combined with another Major or you can do it seperately after you got a degree already.

I'll also echo something someone else has already said, a Bachelors of Science does not get you very far in terms of a career in science.
You'll definitely want to get further education(grad school/PhD) if you're looking to keep working in the science field.

Last edited:

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008

Agreed. My family friend/tutor through grades 8-12 (used to be a professor at UBC) told me that there should be no limit to how much you spend regarding school applications. Her son and daughter spent multiple thousands on applications through out Canada and the US! It's good to have reaches, and to keep all possibilities open.

The son is now a supreme court lawyer from University of Boston, and the daughter is now a dentist from some other high-end school.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
I was hoping to be a pharmacist. That's why I chose to dive into Chemistry.

Bad choice. Graduate school in Chemistry will lead to pharmaceuticals and drug synthesis (that is, the process of actually creating drugs) as opposed to prescribing and dispensing them as a Pharmacist (which you'll need to go to Pharmacy school in UBC for). Chemistry has some of the lowest averages in UBC (about the same as Math), and thus, will make it difficult for you to be accepted to the Pharmacy program. I'm not trying to dissuade you from Chemistry; I just want you to know the drawbacks of what you'll be getting into when going into the field of Chemistry.

If you really want to be a Pharmacist (I worked in a Pharmacy a few years back, was not the most enjoyable experience), I would recommend you take a balanced courseload of pre-requisites in first year and get your extracurriculars up as soon as possible (get volunteer hours in, join clubs, etc), and maintain at least an A- average at the least (you'll want an A to be competitive). Start studying for the PCATs as soon as possible but do not let it cut into your school study time, since grades are as equally important. Getting into Pharmacy school isn't easy but if you work at it, you should be able to do it. Check the UBC Pharmacy site for a list of pre-requisites.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
anyone have experience with UT to UBC/SFU how hard is it? knowing not all courses is acceptable......is certain terms like summer easier than like fall or January? I heading for the Art faculty...for poli science not sure second or third year

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
Word of advice, pretty sure you already know.
University transfer is not the way to go.

Just out of curiosity, why would you say this? Did it not work for you/people you know?

TOTALLY agree. I know people that have gotten into Sauder below their "required" cut off (due to a pretty killer Supplemental though).

I think the high stated average is to weed out people who aren't really serious about applying and get edged out by the high application fee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad