OT: Calling All SFU/UBC Students

BoHorvat53

Crabs!
Mar 29, 2010
British Columbia
Bad choice. Graduate school in Chemistry will lead to pharmaceuticals and drug synthesis (that is, the process of actually creating drugs) as opposed to prescribing and dispensing them as a Pharmacist (which you'll need to go to Pharmacy school in UBC for). Chemistry has some of the lowest averages in UBC (about the same as Math), and thus, will make it difficult for you to be accepted to the Pharmacy program. I'm not trying to dissuade you from Chemistry; I just want you to know the drawbacks of what you'll be getting into when going into the field of Chemistry.

If you really want to be a Pharmacist (I worked in a Pharmacy a few years back, was not the most enjoyable experience), I would recommend you take a balanced courseload of pre-requisites in first year and get your extracurriculars up as soon as possible (get volunteer hours in, join clubs, etc), and maintain at least an A- average at the least (you'll want an A to be competitive). Start studying for the PCATs as soon as possible but do not let it cut into your school study time, since grades are as equally important. Getting into Pharmacy school isn't easy but if you work at it, you should be able to do it. Check the UBC Pharmacy site for a list of pre-requisites.

Hmmm, the SFU site listed pharmacist as a profession under the BSc degree.

http://students.sfu.ca/programs/chemistry.html

I assumed that the BSc was a must before applying to Pharmacy school.

Just out of curiosity, why would you say this? Did it not work for you/people you know?

TOTALLY agree. I know people that have gotten into Sauder below their "required" cut off (due to a pretty killer Supplemental though).

I think the high stated average is to weed out people who aren't really serious about applying and get edged out by the high application fee.

I kind of brushed off volunteering and joining clubs since I never planned to apply to UBC. My sibling convinced me I should reach. I don't have that much time to get in volunteer hours/join many clubs, but I have work experience. I have been working for 6 months, if that counts for anything, lol.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Hmmm, the SFU site listed pharmacist as a profession under the BSc degree.

http://students.sfu.ca/programs/chemistry.html

I assumed that the BSc was a must before applying to Pharmacy school.

I kind of brushed off volunteering and joining clubs since I never planned to apply to UBC. My sibling convinced me I should reach. I don't have that much time to get in volunteer hours/join many clubs, but I have work experience. I have been working for 6 months, if that counts for anything, lol.

1) SFU (actually most university) info pages are usually a bunch of crap. Theoretically, with the degree that I have, I could work in a variety of fields, but the chances of me actually being hired are fairly nil compared to the number of more suited candidates. Similarly, being a chemist may "prepare" you for Pharmacy (in that you'll be more strongly suited for the medicinal chemistry that everyone seems to dread in Pharmacy) but your chances of getting are fairly slim due to the lower average in Chemistry.

2) Bsc is not a must. Pre requisites like first year Chemistry are a must and the PCATs are a must.

3) Jobs are fine. I would now focus on becoming a more "well-rounded" person. Take up volunteering in a place where you can work there long term; remember, you want a strong reference from a non-academic source to demonstrate your character to the admissions committee. Plus, volunteering is a great way to build your resume. I would start in the summer after graduation (as much as it's tempting to relax, if you're serious about Pharmacy, I would strongly recommend starting ASAP to build a strong CV).

BoHorvat53

Crabs!
Mar 29, 2010
British Columbia
1) SFU (actually most university) info pages are usually a bunch of crap. Theoretically, with the degree that I have, I could work in a variety of fields, but the chances of me actually being hired are fairly nil compared to the number of more suited candidates. Similarly, being a chemist may "prepare" you for Pharmacy (in that you'll be more strongly suited for the medicinal chemistry that everyone seems to dread in Pharmacy) but your chances of getting are fairly slim due to the lower average in Chemistry.

2) Bsc is not a must. Pre requisites like first year Chemistry are a must and the PCATs are a must.

3) Jobs are fine. I would now focus on becoming a more "well-rounded" person. Take up volunteering in a place where you can work there long term; remember, you want a strong reference from a non-academic source to demonstrate your character to the admissions committee. Plus, volunteering is a great way to build your resume. I would start in the summer after graduation (as much as it's tempting to relax, if you're serious about Pharmacy, I would strongly recommend starting ASAP to build a strong CV).

I really appreciate the replies, Sigh.

January 31st is the deadline to apply to UBC if I want to attend for the Fall semester. I'm pretty much banking on my supplemental to get in. (Unless the average isn't that high for Arts/Forestry) In current standing, my supplemental isn't that great.

Leadership/group contributions – e.g., student government experience, community involvement, family responsibility, etc.
Academic achievements – e.g., research projects, success in contests, prizes won for high standing, etc.
Sports involvement – e.g., membership on teams, participation in competitions, etc.
Creative and performing arts experience
Work experience
Volunteer experience and service to others

I can talk about the bolded. How I was on a team etc. To be honest, I've volunteered once. (did get a reference out of it) Once I found out I could just get a job/do work experience to graduate instead, I did. Might as well get paid.

My school had a lot of clubs last year, I'm not sure if they're still here this year. I'll ask around and try to join some clubs.

Would you recommend taking those first year per-requisites at a school other than UBC?

I used to play instruments, I guess I can use that, too.

Last edited:

ferroid

Mar 22, 2010
Word of advice, pretty sure you already know.
University transfer is not the way to go.

There's nothing wrong with taking your first year at Langara or Kwantlen, getting a decent A- average, then transferring to UBC.

Obviously, the quality of education is not quite up to par with UBC or SFU, but it is still quite good, and if the alternative is settling for a university that you don't want to go to, I would recommend transferring.

I personally found that getting higher grades in post-secondary than high school to be reasonably easy, probably due to the higher degree of autonomy in course selection.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
There's nothing wrong with taking your first year at Langara or Kwantlen, getting a decent A- average, then transferring to UBC.

Obviously, the quality of education is not quite up to par with UBC or SFU, but it is still quite good, and if the alternative is settling for a university that you don't want to go to, I would recommend transferring.

I personally found that getting higher grades in post-secondary than high school to be reasonably easy, probably due to the higher degree of autonomy in course selection.

Except its getting ridiculously difficult to transfer from college to university. I have a friend who has an A- average from Langara and UBC wouldn't take him in. There's a bunch of kids at UBC who had ridiculously inflated grades in high school that are struggling who he could easily outperform, but because he decided to go to college first and they got into UBC with the inflated marks they get to take up those spots even though he's way more suited for UBC. My advice to anyone is that if you can get accepted into a university, go for it - its much easier to transfer from university to university than it to transfer from college to university.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
As most people have mentioned already, there's nothing wrong with beginning at a different school, such as Langara, and transferring into UBC/SFU, despite what most high school students say.

The most important thing to have at this time, in my opinion, is knowledge, information, and a strong understanding of how Universities work with regards to things such as specialized programs (Pharmacy, Accounting, etc). When I went through this process, I found myself applying for Sciences and Business simply because many of my friends/family were applying or recommending them, when all I really wanted to was major in Econ.

Also, I would recommend applying for as many places as possible. Don't assume anything's a lock unless your average is 95%+. My high school average was around 91-93% (don't remember off the top of my head) and I was rejected from Sauder and UBC Sciences and ultimately had to settle for attending UBCO for a year. It never hurts to have options to choose from.

If you're serious about entering specialized programs, such as pharmacy or accounting, you should strongly consider looking into volunteer opportunities to build experience and references for applying to enter these programs, or even for future work opportunities. It never hurts to get out there and build a strong reference base.

Respect Your Edler

Thank You 52
Sep 27, 2006
China
In any case, it's not the end of the world if you go to either UBC or SFU. Apply to both, see where you get in and then make the decision based on which campus makes the most sense for you.

Once you are in, try out a variety of classes and pursue your degree in whatever it is you are passionate about. Odds are you'll do a lot better studying something that you love, which in turn will make that degree useful to you in life.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Reading all this helps, I've applied at UVic, (Major in Writing) and I was just wondering if anyone else has recently gone through that program and knew what the minimum GPA was to get in that program, Right now I have 89% in my Lit class, but I don't take my AP English 12 until next semester, but I figure I'll get around the same mark in that course as well (same teacher, love the guy). My grades in English 10 and 11 are around the same (79-82) and I'm hoping to get 88-90 in all 3 of the english courses I'm taking this year, is that enough?

BoHorvat53

Crabs!
Mar 29, 2010
British Columbia
As most people have mentioned already, there's nothing wrong with beginning at a different school, such as Langara, and transferring into UBC/SFU, despite what most high school students say.

The most important thing to have at this time, in my opinion, is knowledge, information, and a strong understanding of how Universities work with regards to things such as specialized programs (Pharmacy, Accounting, etc). When I went through this process, I found myself applying for Sciences and Business simply because many of my friends/family were applying or recommending them, when all I really wanted to was major in Econ.

Also, I would recommend applying for as many places as possible. Don't assume anything's a lock unless your average is 95%+. My high school average was around 91-93% (don't remember off the top of my head) and I was rejected from Sauder and UBC Sciences and ultimately had to settle for attending UBCO for a year. It never hurts to have options to choose from.

If you're serious about entering specialized programs, such as pharmacy or accounting, you should strongly consider looking into volunteer opportunities to build experience and references for applying to enter these programs, or even for future work opportunities. It never hurts to get out there and build a strong reference base.

Last month, I decided to be a pharmacist because it involved Chemistry (science I'm most interested in) and because I can earn big money.

To be honest, I don't know what I want to be yet. Being a pharmacist is no walk in the park, but I don't really want to burn a year not knowing what to do and paying for classes that I won't need to take (since I don't even know what profession I want to be)..

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Last month, I decided to be a pharmacist because it involved Chemistry (science I'm most interested in) and because I can earn big money.

To be honest, I don't know what I want to be yet. Being a pharmacist is no walk in the park, but I don't really want to burn a year not knowing what to do and paying for classes that I won't need to take (since I don't even know what profession I want to be)..

Once you sit down in your first lecture on the first day of class, you'll notice the people beside you, in front of you, the one behind you, all have no idea what they are going to have a career in.

Experimentation is good. University shouldn't be about getting a career but rather about broadening your knowledge. I know plenty of people who have gotten Business degree's, worked a couple years, and decided to start all over again because they realized they hated it. He's now in Engineering, a completely different field from his initial interest.

Last edited:

Respect Your Edler

Thank You 52
Sep 27, 2006
China
Once you sit down in your first lecture on the first day of class, you'll notice the people beside you, in front of you, the one behind you, all have no idea what they are going to have a career in.

Experimentation is good. University shouldn't be about getting a career but rather about broadening your knowledge. I know plenty of people who have gotten Business degree's, worked a couple years, and decided to start all over again because they realized they hated it. He's now in Engineering, a completely different field from his initial interest.

Yeah. I now plenty of people who went and got a business or science degree because their parents wanted them to and now they hate the field that they work in. What good is money going to be if you dread going to work for the next 40 years?

BoHorvat53

Crabs!
Mar 29, 2010
British Columbia

Yeah. I now plenty of people who went and got a business or science degree because their parents wanted them to and now they hate the field that they work in.

I figured all I would do as a pharmacist is put pills in a bottle, lol. It's just frustrating since all my friends and family know what they want to be (for now).

Respect Your Edler

Thank You 52
Sep 27, 2006
China
I figured all I would do as a pharmacist is put pills in a bottle, lol. It's just frustrating since all my friends and family know what they want to be (for now).

Take some science classes and see if you like them. Try to get some experience in the field if you are interested in it. Try other things out as well though. How can you know what you want to be unless you give everything an honest try?

Last edited:

ferroid

Mar 22, 2010
Except its getting ridiculously difficult to transfer from college to university. I have a friend who has an A- average from Langara and UBC wouldn't take him in. There's a bunch of kids at UBC who had ridiculously inflated grades in high school that are struggling who he could easily outperform, but because he decided to go to college first and they got into UBC with the inflated marks they get to take up those spots even though he's way more suited for UBC. My advice to anyone is that if you can get accepted into a university, go for it - its much easier to transfer from university to university than it to transfer from college to university.

I had slightly below an A- average and got into UBC with no problem after completing my first two years at Langara.

It's possible that the standards are different for BA transfer students, however.

That said, UBC does base half of their acceptance criteria upon the personal test they require you to fill out, so that may explain the variance.

The Optimist

Jun 5, 2009
2754 days of hell
My advice: don't even waste your time going to university. Go to a technical school (like BCIT) and learn a program that will actually get you a job when you graduate (and in many cases in less time than the 4 years you spend getting a Bachelor's degree).

Everyone is getting an undergrad now-a-days and there are only so many jobs available upon graduation. Gone are the days where undergrad degrees are impressive. Employers want experience! If you insist on going to university at least do a Co-op so you get some highly useful work experience.

Oh, and volunteer in your field of interest while you're going to school. That way when you graduate you have connections to go along with your experience.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver

I'd recommend looking for a volunteer opportunity to try it out and see how you like it. In high school, some friends of mine volunteered at a pharmacy as part of the Career Prep program and some found that it was something they'd be interested in whereas others didn't enjoy it at all.

At this point in your life, I'm willing to bet that an overwhelming majority of your peers have no idea what they want to be either. The best thing you can do to clear up questions is to simply get out there and try different things to build a better idea of what you're interested in or what you could see yourself doing in the future.

SpecialK139

Bo Hor-fat
Aug 8, 2012
Burnaby
3rd year @ SFU here

I tried to go general studies -> business because my lowly 85% average wouldn't cut it for Beedie. Then I realized I hate business school and all that it teaches because my interest is in entrepreneurship. Anyways, now I'm transferring into yet another program because it's something that I really want to do.

My first piece of advice would be don't do something just because it might be good, if you're really lost on what to do go for Kwantlen or Langara or something similar first and explore some options on the cheap. I have a few friends who started at Kwantlen and went UBC engineering. If you find something you want to do and you're ready to work hard for it you stand a much better chance than if you go into something you don't really care about and dick around for a few years with meh grades. That being said, don't be afraid to change programs if it's something you REALLY want to do.

Second, I don't know if SFU actually has a pharmacy program. My best advice would be to talk to your school's counselor and ask them if they can figure out the difference. Many of them have been asked these questions before, and if they don't know they WILL usually know who to call. That being said, I have a few friends in UBC pharm and they are all quite happy with it

Seriously though, don't drop SFU off the list because "oh it's dark and gloomy" or "oh it's on a mountain" or whatever reasons people are listing. You're in school for the program and if you're more worried about how many frat parties there are than how the school is at producing students who get hired into the field they choose then I'd say you're probably going in for the wrong reasons. (That being said, the SFU pub isn't terrible and if you meet people in residence you can sometimes find some good parties ;) )

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Seriously though, don't drop SFU off the list because "oh it's dark and gloomy" or "oh it's on a mountain" or whatever reasons people are listing. You're in school for the program and if you're more worried about how many frat parties there are than how the school is at producing students who get hired into the field they choose then I'd say you're probably going in for the wrong reasons. (That being said, the SFU pub isn't terrible and if you meet people in residence you can sometimes find some good parties ;) )
This is not what I am talking about. I don't go out to parties and I don't drink. I am talking about a university experience and the atmosphere of a college campus. I really noticed this after my recent trip to Boston. Toured a couple colleges there this summer, SFU paled in comparison.

SFU is completely a commuter school, IMO. Once you get up there, you wonder when you can leave. I rarely willingly stayed after class, always tried to take the first bus down unless I had club activities or networking sessions to partake in. There is no sense of belonging or enjoyment being up there past your class time.

I'm talking about waking up in the morning and not wanting to go to that campus. This was not the feeling I wanted when i envisioned my Bachelors there.

I went to SFU for the Accounting program which is good, but still isn't held by the big 4 or national 6 in the same regard to UBC. Still every CA recruit, UBC and DAP hires continue to outnumber SFU, to put that in perspective. So don't think I chose schools based on frat parties. I couldnt care less.

SFU pub? You go there for bad and terribly slow service and mediocre food. Never had a good meal there and I've been there at least a dozen times.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
I went to Langara for a year a couple years ago. I was surprised that the teaching quality level is almost as good as UBC (though the good profs at UBC are above all easily). The biggest change was the campus and "atmosphere".

btw. Is anyone else in Economics?

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
From past experience I would not recommend going straight to UBC unless you are absolutely positive in the field you want to be in. A lot of people think you need to go to the same University from start to finish but this isn't the case at all. If you make a choice for a direction and you falter, it can really hurt your chances of reaching your eventual goals. Personally I did really well in high school and I chose UBC Engineering through external pressures I was getting, but I really had no idea what I wanted to do. After a month or so I began to slide in my classes for multiple reasons, but the primary one being I had very little interest in the subject material, and it is much more difficult to motivate yourself though the workload with all of the other University distractions that are out there if you don't love what you are studying.

Once you start University your highschool marks more or less go out the window, and if you don't have a very high average at UBC it can be difficult to change from one faculty to the other, unless you are switching into Arts. Due to my lower average I was forced to leave UBC after my first year to pursue study in a different faculty. I ended up leaving the lower-mainalnd and I really had to work and scrape my way to get myself where I am today, but if I could do it again I would have tried out a few classes at a lower level than UBC and then eventually fed into after a year or two. Now I'm not an expert on what they have to offer over there, but I believe I have heard that Capilano offers great transfers into UBC, but this would be something you would have to further investigate. Anyways to sum up if your not absolutely sure you know the direction you want to go, you don't need to go straight to the big leagues, take a little time in the minors beforehand and it will help you in the long run.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

This is soo true

As a first year student as SFU, only a couple of the people I know are sure about what they want to do. I have my goal set on education (specifically history) but i'm keeping an open mind and am taking some econ classes now. It's good to have direction, but the put on blinders would be taking away from the university experience imo

edit- as a aside, I find Burnaby mountain very depressing, especially at this time. It's very quiet and it seems as though people are zombies up there, I just wanted to leave after class

Last edited:

express

Aug 18, 2005
I'm talking about waking up in the morning and not wanting to go to that campus. This was not the feeling I wanted when i envisioned my Bachelors there.

Quite the opposite from UBC. I did two degrees at UBC, and just about every morning I got out of the house early so I could get a coffee and walk around campus before starting my day.

I got weepy when I went back to visit in December. I miss it a lot.

That said, I live in Calgary now, and there really aren't many nice looking things around here until you get closer to the rockies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad