Post-Game Talk: Calle Rosen aka The Dream

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Looked like 55 more than Rielly to me. Shouldn't he have rotated over?
Rielly did hos part. Borgman didn't block the passing lane at all. His stick was out of position.

On note of this thread; I want to see Dermott in for Rosen soon. I think playing Dermott would allow Borgman to focus on 5v5 as Dermott is a good pk'er. Also a bottom pair of Borgman Dermott would be gritty fast and skilled.

That said let's see how Carrick plays when he comes back but I'm all about a short leash for him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Even after playing some bad hockey specially in defensive zone but we are still 3 and 1

There is no question we need to be defensively and Anderson has to step up. I am sure Babcock is going to work on it and is going to make necessary adjustments

Lets forget the last game and move on - come back focused on your assignments and get ready for next game

We have to thank Chicago for our 3-1 record, as they played their AHL goalie against us that let in 4 goals, while they saved Crawford for Montreal the next day.

Crawford has a 3-0-0 record a 1.00 GAA and .971 sv%. So we caught a break there.

Giving up a SH goal on a full 2-man PP, something that happens so rarely does speak to this teams ability to defend even with 2X extra players on the ice. :(:eek:

Reactions: stymie

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Perhaps Babcock will start putting him on the PK.

Hey I like Babs a lot and think if he's not the best in the league he's top 3. But there's somethings that leave you quite frustrated.

I wouldn't have him kill penalties even though he'd likely be very good at it, but all it takes is one shot at his hand or his foot and he's out for weeks possibly months.

Last edited:

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
We have to thank Chicago for our 3-1 record, as they played their AHL goalie against us that let in 4 goals, while they saved Crawford for Montreal the next day.

Crawford has a 3-0-0 record a 1.00 GAA and .971 sv%. So we caught a break there.

Giving up a SH goal on a full 2-man PP, something that happens so rarely does speak to this teams ability to defend even with 2X extra players on the ice. :(:eek:

Chicago's backup goalie played a great game and there's no reason to assume Crawford would have done better. They got outshot 2:1 and there was an absurd number of high quality chances. The Hawks barely touched the puck at even strength for 40 minutes. I haven't seen such a lopsided game in the Leafs' favour since the Jets were the Thrashers.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Rielly did hos part. Borgman didn't block the passing lane at all. His stick was out of position.

On note of this thread; I want to see Dermott in for Rosen soon. I think playing Dermott would allow Borgman to focus on 5v5 as Dermott is a good pk'er. Also a bottom pair of Borgman Dermott would be gritty fast and skilled.

That said let's see how Carrick plays when he comes back but I'm all about a short leash for him.

Carrick has experience which is desperately needed on the bottom pair right now to help calm things down, he should be playing beside Borgman or Dermott, but Carrick needs to be on that pair if he's fit

Rosen needs some AHL time until the game slows down a little for him

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
15:48 TOI for Matthews with two full days of rest coming in a game where we trailed for most of it.

Alright coach.

He's second in ice time only to Marleau and that too because PM plays on the PK. Matthews didn't get much ice time yesterday because most of the game was played on special teams and the Leafs like to give equal time to both PP units which makes sense because we have a lot of good offensive players. For example, JvR on the PP is a lot better than JvR on ES.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Chicago's backup goalie played a great game and there's no reason to assume Crawford would have done better. They got outshot 2:1 and there was an absurd number of high quality chances. The Hawks barely touched the puck at even strength for 40 minutes. I haven't seen such a lopsided game in the Leafs' favour since the Jets were the Thrashers.

I have a feeling that Mess only looks at NHL.com stats. If there is anyone that thinks the Leafs did not deserve to win the game against Chicago, I don't know what to tell them. They were only in it because of their backup.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Crawford is a good goalie there is no question about it, but we scored 5 goals against Lundqvist and despite that disaster 2nd period we managed to win that game. We were definitely better against Hawks and dominated the game after 1st period. Infact Forsberg kept them in that game and Crawford might or might have changed the out come, on the same token if Anderson could have saved us a goal if he was on his game. He has been pretty average this season and that's going to change sooner or later, so I don't buy your 1st argument

100% agreed on SH goal - we were awful last night and there is no excuse for that

Despite being so ordinary in our own zone we are still 3 and 1 and none of those wins were any fluke, we simply out scored our opponents, and how can any one argue about that when we managed to score 19 goals in 1st 3 games - nothing wrong with criticizing the team but being negative all the time is not reasonable

Last edited:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
He looked better last year when he was 15 pounds lighter. Not everyone is a better player if they put on 50 pounds.

Did you watch last nights game? I thought Marner looked great, definitely one of our better players never took a shift off.

He was quick with and without the puck, and looked pretty decent on the PK.

I agree that he could be better, and he probably will be better he doesn't look slow by any means, just slower than I would have expected. if that makes sense.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Calle Rosen will be sent down as soon as Carrick is ready to play. He has potential but hes too weak/sloppy in front of his own net, looses way too many battles

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Did you watch last nights game? I thought Marner looked great, definitely one of our better players never took a shift off.

He was quick with and without the puck, and looked pretty decent on the PK.

I agree that he could be better, and he probably will be better he doesn't look slow by any means, just slower than I would have expected. if that makes sense.
Yeah it was his best game so far IMO, my post was just complaining about people thinking extra weight = better. But he hasn't looked the same as 1st half of last season Marner, idk if it's a slow start, the extra weight, or less drive bc his linemates play lazy. Hopefully just a slow start.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He's second in ice time only to Marleau and that too because PM plays on the PK. Matthews didn't get much ice time yesterday because most of the game was played on special teams and the Leafs like to give equal time to both PP units which makes sense because we have a lot of good offensive players. For example, JvR on the PP is a lot better than JvR on ES.

Sure and I agree we do have many good offensive players, but we only have one Auston Matthews.

It's almost depth to a fault because Babcock is plate spinning trying to keep everyone involved - but at some point, especially last night knowing we have two days of rest coming before Saturdays game, find a way to get him out there more.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He looked better last year when he was 15 pounds lighter. Not everyone is a better player if they put on 50 pounds.
He's 5 pounds heavier than last year.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Huh?
We don't have to thank Chicago for shit. Forsberg played fantastic against us and we fed Chicago their lunch in the 2nd and 3rd periods. What is this nonsense?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Crawford is a good goalie there is no question about it, but we scored 5 goals against Lundqvist and despite that disaster 2nd period we managed to win that game. We were definitely better against Hawks and dominated the game after 1st period. Infact Forsberg kept them in that game and Crawford might or might have changed the out come, on the same token if Anderson could have saved us a goal if he was on his game. He has been pretty average this season and that's going to change sooner or later, so I don't buy your 1st argument

100% agreed on SH goal - we were awful last night and there is no excuse for that

Despite being so ordinary in our own zone we are still 3 and 1 and none of those wins were any fluke, we simply out scored our opponents, and how can any one argue about that when we managed to score 19 goals in 1st 3 games - nothing wrong with criticizing the team but being negative all the time is not reasonable

Crawford stopped 41 of 42 shots against the Habs the following night, some real beauties and was the games 1st star in Montreal.

Link: http://www.espn.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400961644

Crawford has played 3 games this year and given up only 3 goals against all year total. We scored 4 goals against their backup goalie.

I'm not complaining, its great we got the win against the Hawks as we played a great game, but no denying we caught a break by facing Hawks backup goalie with 10 career NHL starts. It was a double bonus because we won and then Crawford shutdown the Habs for a loss to a Div rival.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Watching them, I don't see the hype. If CS makes 50 saves a night, yeah they'll be a good team, but I don't see that happening night in night out. We didn't bring it like we normally do, and we still put up 50 shots on them. Imagine if we controlled more of the game and stayed out of the box. We would have had 75 shots.

I do agree we need to be better defensively to gave a great season. Although our division is weak, so I think we can win it by just out scoring teams. Saturday will be an interesting test.
I said it in the GDT thread, Schneider makes the Devils look better than they actually are. Their defense is extremely weak.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
I said it in the GDT thread, Schneider makes the Devils look better than they actually are. Their defense is extremely weak.

I disagree. One of, if not the biggest, difference between us and our last 2 opponents (NJ, CHI) is stickwork. NJ's entire team, including their forwards, took away the passing lanes via their stickwork, and thus our time and space. Yes they're fast, but speed =/= stickwork.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Crawford stopped 41 of 42 shots against the Habs the following night, some real beauties and was the games 1st star in Montreal.

Link: http://www.espn.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400961644

I'm not complaining, its great we got the win against the Hawks as we played a great game, but no denying we caught a break by facing Hawks backup goalie with 10 career NHL starts. It was a double bonus because we won and then Crawford shutdown the Habs for a loss to a Div rival.

I get it but there are going to be off nights for Crawford as well and every single team is going to get those breaks. It's a long team and every team has to dress their backup at some point

Again despite winning those games those we need to be better defensively and Anderson need to consistent (and has to play better) as no matter how your offense is you can not outscore your opponents every night and last night is the perfect example

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
15:48 TOI for Matthews with two full days of rest coming in a game where we trailed for most of it.

Alright coach.

I agree! I feel Babcock owns some of this by not leaning on his horses more, especially when the game is up for grabs! He had 5-6 forwards (both teams) play more ES last nite than Matty. I saw alot of 4th line and JVR line after penalties. That's when he should be playing Matty, Willy plus a premier scoring winger!

7 Leaf forwards got more TOI than Matty last nite. No matter what, its a coaches job to make sure this doesn't happen. Matty has been absolutely dominate statistically this yr and should be getting 3-4 more mins a nite!

Henrique played 5 more mins last nite, MaJo and Zacca 1-1.5 mins more.

Matty had one of his biggest games and had 18.51 in TOI against the Hawks. Kane and Toews played 2-5 - 3 mins longer each. That's how champion teams use their leaders when they're in tough.

7 Jet forwards played more than Matty in the first albeit crazy penalty game. That included Laine, Ehlers, Scheiffle and Wheeler by 2 - 5 mins.

I see the rationale of trying to throw 3 tough lines at a team and Marner deserves his time. He could be the one picking extra shifts with Matty and Willy after the pp!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Carrick has experience which is desperately needed on the bottom pair right now to help calm things down, he should be playing beside Borgman or Dermott, but Carrick needs to be on that pair if he's fit

Rosen needs some AHL time until the game slows down a little for him
While I agree I would still like to see what Dermott would bring in real games.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
While I agree I would still like to see what Dermott would bring in real games.

So would it, I'd have him and Carrick stapled together on the bottom pair right now but if Borgman is going to be in the 6 Carrick has to play with him if he's fit

Bad **** is going to continue to happen if our bottom pair has less than 10 NHL games experience, COMBINED

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad