News Article: Callahan leaves door open to return to Rangers / Richards Speaks Out

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Because I'm clearly missing something here: what's the funny aspect of it?

Callahan gets a fat 7 year contract, crumbles to nothing 4 years into it...

Team is on the hook for horrific contract, possibly pursues a buyout of the final years of the contract after Callahn goes from a .7PPG player to a .3PPG player.

schabadoo

Feb 16, 2012
Callahan gets a fat 7 year contract, crumbles to nothing 4 years into it...

Team is on the hook for horrific contract, possibly pursues a buyout of the final years of the contract after Callahn goes from a .7PPG player to a .3PPG player.

In that scenario Callahan should sign the highest guaranteed contract he can, right? If he only has a few years left.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
In that scenario Callahan should sign the highest guaranteed contract he can, right? If he only has a few years left.

yes, but any GM with a brain (don't fall over, Sather used his this time) won't give him more than 5 years

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
It was more then the NTC. Sather was at 6 million, Callahan was at 6.5 and neither was budging. In my opinion 6 million was too much. Callahan is worth maybe 5 to 5.5, 6 was an overpayment and that is why Sather wasn't moving off that.

A fair contract for Cally was 4 years $20 million. I think that would have been a gift by Sather. I have said this numerous times in other threads and to my friends. I will also say again that I will not be surprised if the market for Cally is even less then that come July.

The cap can shoot up to the moon if the recapture penalty is going to hinder a team for year's to come no one is going to hand out 5 to 8 year deals at 5 to 8 million per season. It's just not gonna happen, and any GM that does is is...

A. Desperate
B. Irresponsible
C. has no plan to win in the near future
D. All of the above

Peeps can love Cally all they want. He wasn't worth that type of money before, he sure isn't worth that money now, and most likely won't be come July. Other GM's are probably thanking Sather for not blowing up the market for a B+ forward that is a 20 something goal scorer who is often injured.

Keeping Girardi and trading Cally was the right move if you had to choose between the two. That being said I was all for trading both of them if Girardi's demands were as out of line as Cally's.

AKrangerfan

Apr 18, 2012
Anchorage
I doubt any team offers Cally 6x6 EXCEPT for Buffalo. They might not have to offer him much over that because no other team is crazy enough to cough up that much money for a good but not elite player.

If I am not mistaken, didn't Sather allow other teams to talk to Cally's agent before the trade to see if they could come to a season end contract agreement before trading for him? I think there were a couple of teams interested that decided not to trade because they would not be able to sign him after the season. Cally will be lucky to get what Sather offered. I would bet he does not get that same offer from Sather at the end of the year. They would probably give him a Girardi deal and no more if that.

I would rather have Dubinsky with his 4.2 cap hit then Cally for 5 plus.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Whether or not Cally is worth the contract he will get, I hope our fanbase won't vilify him for looking out for himself and his family. As much as we'd like to pretend otherwise, most of us would do exactly the same. And even if he gets thrown an absurd contract that he "doesn't live up to", that's no reason to dislike the player (assuming he's still Cally and works his ass off as his skills diminish) - you should direct that dislike to the GM who offered the contract (same reason why I don't hate Redden, I'm angry at Sather).

A point I have brought up before, that I want to make again: when players are RFAs, they get offered contracts based on what they've accomplished (usually not very much, since they are young and inexperienced)...they do not get offered contracts based on what their potential is for the years that they will play under that contract. Then, when a player becomes a UFA, he gets offered a contract based on what he is projected to accomplish, not what he just did under that RFA contract. So most players never really get compensated for the years they play under their RFA contract - and many times, those are the best years of their careers. No love lost from me because Cally is trying to get paid for the amazing seasons he had between 2010-2012.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I doubt any team offers Cally 6x6 EXCEPT for Buffalo. They might not have to offer him much over that because no other team is crazy enough to cough up that much money for a good but not elite player.

If I am not mistaken, didn't Sather allow other teams to talk to Cally's agent before the trade to see if they could come to a season end contract agreement before trading for him? I think there were a couple of teams interested that decided not to trade because they would not be able to sign him after the season. Cally will be lucky to get what Sather offered. I would bet he does not get that same offer from Sather at the end of the year. They would probably give him a Girardi deal and no more if that.

I would rather have Dubinsky with his 4.2 cap hit then Cally for 5 plus.

Dubi is getting what he is worth. I think that amount is what Cally is worth. At the time I thought Dubi was about $750,000 over paid. Now his contract is pretty much in line with the rest of the NHL. The type of money Cally was asking was outregous. Over payment is an understatement. Cally's contract would look terrible in 3-4 years no matter how many years or money was left on it.

Whether or not Cally is worth the contract he will get, I hope our fanbase won't vilify him for looking out for himself and his family. As much as we'd like to pretend otherwise, most of us would do exactly the same. And even if he gets thrown an absurd contract that he "doesn't live up to", that's no reason to dislike the player (assuming he's still Cally and works his ass off as his skills diminish) - you should direct that dislike to the GM who offered the contract (same reason why I don't hate Redden, I'm angry at Sather).

A point I have brought up before, that I want to make again: when players are RFAs, they get offered contracts based on what they've accomplished (usually not very much, since they are young and inexperienced)...they do not get offered contracts based on what their potential is for the years that they will play under that contract. Then, when a player becomes a UFA, he gets offered a contract based on what he is projected to accomplish, not what he just did under that RFA contract. So most players never really get compensated for the years they play under their RFA contract - and many times, those are the best years of their careers. No love lost from me because Cally is trying to get paid for the amazing seasons he had between 2010-2012.

I for one will not vilify him at all. I hope no animosity towards Cally what's so ever. I think we saw pretty much the ceiling of callahan as a player in NY. If he stays healthy he could have one or two 30 goal seasons and that's a huge IF. So much has to go right for it happen.

I think he won't last another 5 years in the league. If he wasn't going to sign here then he would go else where and we get nothing in return. I was 100% for the trade and I think it was a good one.

If i'm wrong about all of this, then i'm wrong. I still can't argue with what we got in return for him.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really love how some people here try to put a value on a player, when they have no clue of all the details and facts.

Some of you people assume he will be breaking down, you don;t have a damn crystal ball, if you do lets go to Vegas! He can easily play more consversative and still be very effective. Plus, 90% of his injuries have come from blocking shots. A stat that is just one of the many things that are about his overall game.

What irks me the most is, he is gone and some bitter Ranger fans just can't stop talking about how he is not worth this or that, it is why people like me will keep posting these comments to defend him.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I really love how some people here try to put a value on a player, when they have no clue of all the details and facts.

Some of you people assume he will be breaking down, you don;t have a damn crystal ball, if you do lets go to Vegas! He can easily play more consversative and still be very effective. Plus, 90% of his injuries have come from blocking shots. A stat that is just one of the many things that are about his overall game.

What irks me the most is, he is gone and some bitter Ranger fans just can't stop talking about how he is not worth this or that, it is why people like me will keep posting these comments to defend him.

Everyone who has posted in this thread is well aware of the facts. I would venture to say that since the majority if not all of the negotiations were held in the press that 99% of what we were told and are discussing is true, so that makes it FACT!

Second, yes we are assuming he will break down....

1. His injury history

2. His physical selfless play, which sadly leads to injury

2a. Those who don't learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them. An oft injured almost 30 year old player that is selfless in his play isn't going to change his game. If Cally did play his game & God forbid doesn't put up at least the same amount of points or dare I say more he would be called a floater & not worth his ridiculous contract. We have witnessed both scenarios happen before with various players over the years that donned the red white & blue.

I have not read one bad thing about Cally. Bottom line the type of player he is just doesn't justify the amount of money and years he was looking for. You can defend him all you wan't, he doesn't need to be defended because NO ONE IS SAYING ANYTHING BAD ABOUT HIM.

We all wish Cally well in his future endeavors.

Last edited by a moderator:

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I wish Callahan well in his career.

This sentimentality around his return leaves me puzzled. It was a business arrangement that changed. I really loved what Callahan did for the Rangers, but I think the sentimentality is overboard.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Everyone who has posted in this thread is well aware of the facts. I would venture to say that since the majority if not all of the negotiations were held in the press that 99% of what we were told and are discussing is true, so that makes it FACT!

Second, yes we are assuming he will break down....

1. His injury history

2. His physical selfless play, which sadly leads to injury

2a. Those who don't learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them. An oft injured almost 30 year old player that is selfless in his play isn't going to change his game. If Cally did play his game & God forbid doesn't put up at least the same amount of points or dare I say more he would be called a floater & not worth his ridiculous contract. We have witnessed both scenarios happen before with various players over the years that donned the red white & blue.

I have not read one bad thing about Cally. Bottom line the type of player he is just doesn't justify the amount of money and years he was looking for. You can defend him all you wan't, he doesn't need to be defended because NO ONE IS SAYING ANYTHING BAD ABOUT HIM.

We all wish Cally well in his future endeavors.

Honestly, I don't really care anymore. I just want the Rangers to win, and Cally to be successful. So lets leave it at that. If they face eachother in the playoffs, will be tough.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
IMO no one is vilifying Callahan here, but of course that is my opinion and I'm biased.

It's more or less the nostalgic heart and soul ennoblement attached to him, which has not been prevalent for 2 seasons. It's like his terribly inconsistent play the last 2 seasons and playoffs is thrown out the window. Furthermore, it's hardly being a 'team player' or a 'heart and soul guy' if you end up balking from 6mil per when you're a 4.5m player at max and fans have the right of showing disdain towards a player who selfishly overvalued his worth to the team. It happens all the time in sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad