News Article: Callahan leaves door open to return to Rangers / Richards Speaks Out

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not trying to take anything away from Ryan Callahan. He's a hell of a player who I would love to have on the Rangers. I just don't believe that he's worth $6.5 Million/year for what he does.

In the end he lowered his asking price to 6 million, and it was the NTC that got him traded. Anyway, hope he continues his success in Tampa. No points today but was excellent defensivley, saved a goal, blocked some key shots, and was able to create some takeaways. I bring that up, because it's not just about scoring points, it's also defending against them. Callahan will produce over 20 goals and around 50 points in a season, he is on pace for around that this season even with the multiple injuries. It's the hustle and effort that make him a better player, who may not have elite skill but is certainly above average.

I hope he re-signs in Tampa, he has been playing very well there, and the fans have welcomed him with open arms.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
NYRangers1979;82091867 I hope he re-signs in Tampa said:
Rangers let Cally's agent talk to buffalo who said 7 yrs $48M and their captaincy... Now things might have changed with Patty Lafontaine walking away after getting butt hurt... But Callahan already knows what teams are going to be offering him.

I personally would have offered him 8 years $44-$46M.. And given him an NMC for the 1st 3 years only... But he'll get a monster contract from Buffalo as a UFA.

Bardof425*

Rangers let Cally's agent talk to buffalo who said 7 yrs $48M and their captaincy... Now things might have changed with Patty Lafontaine walking away after getting butt hurt... But Callahan already knows what teams are going to be offering him.

I personally would have offered him 8 years $44-$46M.. And given him an NMC for the 1st 3 years only... But he'll get a monster contract from Buffalo as a UFA.

And you would have made a bad signing.

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
8 years for Callahan is terribly irresponsible. There is no way he is going to live up to that contract for the duration.

GarretJoseph*

I'd do 5 years @ 5.250 per. take it or go play in the great hockey state of florida or go north to the boring and cold buffalo.

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
If he signs with Tampa I'll have some respect for him. If he does a money grab in Buffalo I don't care if it's close to home or not, he'll just be a ho who doesn't care about winning.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
In the end he lowered his asking price to 6 million, and it was the NTC that got him traded. Anyway, hope he continues his success in Tampa. No points today but was excellent defensivley, saved a goal, blocked some key shots, and was able to create some takeaways. I bring that up, because it's not just about scoring points, it's also defending against them. Callahan will produce over 20 goals and around 50 points in a season, he is on pace for around that this season even with the multiple injuries. It's the hustle and effort that make him a better player, who may not have elite skill but is certainly above average.

I hope he re-signs in Tampa, he has been playing very well there, and the fans have welcomed him with open arms.

where was it published that he lowered his askng price to 6m? Last I saw was 6.3m AND the NTC. If it was 6m and a NTC, i think sather would have pulled the trigger, but i think the 6.3 was as low as he went.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
where was it published that he lowered his askng price to 6m? Last I saw was 6.3m AND the NTC. If it was 6m and a NTC, i think sather would have pulled the trigger, but i think the 6.3 was as low as he went.

Cally's agent was willing to go to 6 million, it was the NTC that made the deal ghe o south. Rangers closed negotiations tuesday night, would not even take calls on Wednesday. So basically Cally was gone by Tuesday night.

@TeamStewie, you are totally right, will have a lot of respect if he stays on a winning team and takes less money. Also with Florida he could take less but still make more because of the tax situation.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Cally's agent was willing to go to 6 million, it was the NTC that made the deal ghe o south. Rangers closed negotiations tuesday night, would not even take calls on Wednesday. So basically Cally was gone by Tuesday night.

@TeamStewie, you are totally right, will have a lot of respect if he stays on a winning team and takes less money. Also with Florida he could take less but still make more because of the tax situation.

I like the sound of that. As long as he comes back to one of my teams…he'd fit in well down here with the upcoming crop.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Everyone forgetting Richie's play in the 2012 playoffs?

I miss the Brad Richards that dominated the capitals during that run. I got excited every time he stepped on the ice. Now I get pissed whenever someone passes to the guy wearing 19.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

You are being very defensive in towards Cally in this thread. We get it you are a Cally fan, WE ALL WERE. However looking at what we have done in 10 games since the trade we really haven't missed a beat with Cally's departure.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You are being very defensive in towards Cally in this thread. We get it you are a Cally fan, WE ALL WERE. However looking at what we have done in 10 games since the trade we really haven't missed a beat with Cally's departure.

Neither has Tampa without St Louis. So what's your point?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Neither has Tampa without St Louis. So what's your point?

That a player doesn't make or break a team, and you just proved it further. The success of either team cannot be directly attributed to the loss or gain of either player. So who gives a **** what Callahan is doing in Tampa?

Last edited by a moderator:

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah that makes no sense.

That also doesn't make any sense.

Um it does make sense if you actually read the post. Callahan taking less money to stay on a winning team has more pride than him getting paid more and going to a losing team and does not care about winning.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Um it does make sense if you actually read the post. Callahan taking less money to stay on a winning team has more pride than him getting paid more and going to a losing team and does not care about winning.

He wouldnt take less money to stay with the team that he captained. why the hell would he take less for tampa?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
He wouldnt take less money to stay with the team that he captained. why the hell would he take less for tampa?

Speculation around the time of trade was that he could take a lower salary and still make more money due to lower taxes in Florida (no income tax). He was supposedly considering firing his agent which gives him access to further $$$

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I really hope he signs in Tampa. I couldn't care less about Cally or the lightning right now, I just want that 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad