News Article: Callahan leaves door open to return to Rangers / Richards Speaks Out

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Maybe he is just annoyed about how his agent totally ****ed up the negotiations with the Rangers.

Callahan ****ed himself. Not his agent. It's 100% Callahan's fault he's not a Ranger right now.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

That may be true but his agent gave him some awful advice.

Callahan signed his agent. And Callahan listened to that awful advice.

Like I said, it's 100% Callahan's fault for how things unfolded. Not his agent. Stop blaming his agent.

Last edited by a moderator:

schabadoo

Feb 16, 2012
Um it does make sense if you actually read the post. Callahan taking less money to stay on a winning team has more pride than him getting paid more and going to a losing team and does not care about winning.

I read the post. It makes no sense.

--He'll respect him more if he signs with Tampa...for whatever unknown reason.
--He's a money-grubber if he signs with his hometown team.

By that logic he should play for free next season in Pitt/Chi/Bos, really show his dedication to winning.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I read the post. It makes no sense.

--He'll respect him more if he signs with Tampa...for whatever unknown reason.
--He's a money-grubber if he signs with his hometown team.

By that logic he should play for free next season in Pitt/Chi/Bos, really show his dedication to winning.

he was basically saying if the guy runs away to the worst team in the league for another Millino per year, then he's greedier than we thought, whereas if Tampa is willing to sign him to a reasonable contract where he can still get his payday, sans a Million or so less, then it's a much more respectable move.

schabadoo

Feb 16, 2012
he was basically saying if the guy runs away to the worst team in the league for another Millino per year, then he's greedier than we thought, whereas if Tampa is willing to sign him to a reasonable contract where he can still get his payday, sans a Million or so less, then it's a much more respectable move.

That's at least a reasonable debate, not like the other post.

What's the cutoff for respect? If the offer's more than ten million higher, than it's ok? Or is there no number he can accept from a lesser team?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Callahan signed his agent. And Callahan listened to that awful advice.

Like I said, it's 100% Callahan's fault for how things unfolded. Not his agent. Stop blaming his agent.

Over a NTC? Come on now, there could have been some middle ground. Sather did not want to give him any NTC whatsoever from what I heard. Giradi's contract was for 3 years job security.

If Tampa gives him say 6 and 6 with say a 4 year NTC he'll most likely sign there, it will be like him making 6.6+ here in NY.

Oh and another point tonight, assisted on a game tying goal with a sweet pass.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
That's at least a reasonable debate, not like the other post.

What's the cutoff for respect? If the offer's more than ten million higher, than it's ok? Or is there no number he can accept from a lesser team?

I think the reasoning here is that Callahan ran himself out of town asking for crazy $ from Rangers management. we all know why, but seriosuly, why did it he do it then?

That's the point here... Regardless, the real point is we'll laugh if Callahan jumps for an $8M contract from the worst team in the league.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Look Callahan and his agent wrote their ticket out of town in the summer time when they demanded a 8 year $7.5M contract.

If that was their demands, ($60) total, why come down to 6x6.25? A drop of more than $20M plus.

I admire the sort of player he his, but that tells me they severely over valued from the start, and went down to something that is more pragmatic.

And even then teams aren't going to dish out that much, because only players that are PPG and above get that salary... the Rangers would have been handcuffed for years, even with Cally at $6M plus.

Rick Nash isn't worth 7.8... Richards isn't worth 6.6... the Rangers taking on another bad contract means a mediocre team.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Over a NTC? Come on now, there could of been some middle ground.

Look at Girardi contract. There's plenty of middle ground there. Girardi always has and always will be a better, and more important player in this league than Callahan. Despite that he was willing to sign a very flexible deal.

He did this because he clearly wanted to remain a Ranger.

Callahan thought he'd get his way with his foolish and unrealistic demands and now he's a EX-RANGER. Because Callahan himself wasn't willing to settle for less.

Sather did not want to give him any NTC whatsoever from what I heard. Giradi's contract was for 3 years job security.

What did you hear? And from who?

Post a link to your source. Or don't bother telling me about what you've heard. For all I know you're the one feeding yourself information.

If Tampa gives him say 6 and 6 with say a 4 year NTC he'll most likely sign there, it will be like him making 6.6+ here in NY.

I don't care. If Tampa feels like he deserves a NTC then so be it. Sather rightfully didn't. Neither do I. Neither do most fans here that care more about the Rangers than Ryan ****ing Callahan.

Do you care more about the team or the player?

AKrangerfan

Apr 18, 2012
Anchorage
Well good for you.

Over a NTC? Come on now, there could of been some middle ground. Sather did not want to give him any NTC whatsoever from what I heard. Giradi's contract was for 3 years job security.

Oh and another point tonight, assisted on a game tying goal with a sweet pass.

It was more then the NTC. Sather was at 6 million, Callahan was at 6.5 and neither was budging. In my opinion 6 million was too much. Callahan is worth maybe 5 to 5.5, 6 was an overpayment and that is why Sather wasn't moving off that.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It was more then the NTC. Sather was at 6 million, Callahan was at 6.5 and neither was budging. In my opinion 6 million was too much. Callahan is worth maybe 5 to 5.5, 6 was an overpayment and that is why Sather wasn't moving off that.

Callahan came down to 6.2 million, and his agent was still willing to negotiate.

AKrangerfan

Apr 18, 2012
Anchorage
Callahan came down to 6.2 million, and his agent was still willing to negotiate.

Source???

Sather was not going over 6, proven by the fact that he did not go over 6. If Cally's agent was at 6.2 and still willing to negotiate, they would have come to a deal, since they did not, that is unproven. Sather made it clear 6 was top dollar, which almost everyone on the board said was an overpayment. The Rangers were willing to overpay, Cally wouldn't accept what everyone but him considered an overpayment. The NTC was the straw. He should have been doing back-flips with 6 and 6 offer. If he wanted a NTC he should have negotiated coming down to 5.5 and 6 years. Sather probably would have given him the same deal he gave Girardi. Even though he was worth less then Dan to the team.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

You're criticizing Sather. And Callys agent. But no criticism towards Callahan. Please post a link to wherever you're getting your silly information from. Request #3.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You're criticizing Sather. And Callys agent. But no critism towards Callahan.

Yea... Your agenda is quite clear here. Callahan fanboy. He's a saint. Did nothing wrong to deserve getting traded.

Why don't you do us all a favor and post a link to wherever you're getting your silly information from. Please. Request #3.

He was underpaid before, bled for this team, now wants a pay day, is it really that wrong? You'd be doing the same thing if this was your job.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
He was underpaid before, bled for this team, now wants a pay day, is it really that wrong? You'd be doing the same thing if this was your job.

That's no different than Daniel Girardi.Except Dan Girardi truly loved being a Ranger, so much so that he took a discount staying here long term. He's a player that's been perpetually underpaid his entire career.

Girardi in his previous contract had a caphit of 3.35m IIRC for 4 ys of 25 MPG shutdown hockey, which is absolutely the best bang for buck contract the Rangers had post lockout. As a free agent, Girardi could easily demand 7mil from the open market based on the fact that he's an all-star player and top shutdown defenseman on one of the most consistent defensive teams year in, year out.

That's the difference between a greedy player chasing unwarranted money and a player who puts the team in front of him.

IMO Dan Girardi by the end of his career will be regarded as one of the most beloved Rangers of all time. Ryan Callahan is a player who chased the money.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Boyles bled for this team too. Should we give him a contract that we all know is absurd for what he brings?

And Cally was making 4m+. How is that underpaid?

Where's a link to your source?

AKrangerfan

Apr 18, 2012
Anchorage

$4,825,000 for 2013/14 is not being underpaid. Zucc is underpaid for what he brings. He wants to be here. Mactruck is underpaid. He wants to be here.

Everyone wants to be paid, no harm in that. Just don't ask for way more then your worth or you may find yourself without a job. Tomorrow, demand 5 mill per year from your boss or you're walking see how far that gets you.

Girardi bleeds for the team, rarely misses a game and took millions less then he could get on the open market. He wanted to stay a Ranger more then the free agent money. Callahan wanted the big payday more then he wanted to stay a Ranger. He turned down a serious overpayment.

Cally walked away from 6 million per year. He will get the payday he wants from Buffalo.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
$4,825,000 for 2013/14 is not being underpaid. Zucc is underpaid for what he brings. He wants to be here. Mactruck is underpaid. He wants to be here.

Everyone wants to be paid, no harm in that. Just don't ask for way more then your worth or you may find yourself without a job. Tomorrow, demand 5 mill per year from your boss or you're walking see how far that gets you.

Girardi bleeds for the team, rarely misses a game and took millions less then he could get on the open market. He wanted to stay a Ranger more then the free agent money. Callahan wanted the big payday more then he wanted to stay a Ranger. He turned down a serious overpayment.

Cally walked away from 6 million per year. He will get the payday he wants from Buffalo.

This. Summed it up perfectly. Girardi is easily a more valuable player and signed for 400k less per year than Callahan was offered. But the poster you are quoting is set in his ways, don't bother. He is only here to talk about how amazing Callahan is, it seems.

Cake or Death

What Callahan (or any player) is worth isn't black and white. You can't say a guy scores x points and has such and such skills and say he's worth x dollars. We are strong at RW and could use a stud C, so a center is worth more to this team than a RW and Cally is not worth $6 mil to our team. To TB or whatever other team, he may be higher on their depth chart and as a UFA may in fact be worth $6-$6.5 mil to them. We can split hairs on the way things went all day long, and we all love the guy, but at the end of the day the correct move was made for the NYR. Likewise, it isn't really fair to Callahan to take a huge pay hit to stay here when he would likely be third on the RW depth chart and his value is dramatically lessened. So I also think the best thing happened for the player, too. I love Callahan's game, but this was the most logical hockey move in my opinion. And I don't feel too bad for Cally either. He's on a decent young team with good prospects ahead of them, and adding him to guys like Stamkos, Bishop, Hedman, etc is not horrific long-term. If he gets a decent offer, he's not in a terrible situation. I'm good with how this played out for all involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00