Call Up Darnell?

oilz89*

Lowetide was discussing this on 1260 this morning.

I have no problem with bringing him up for a very short time, but not too long. But I think the Oilers want him to be ready to stay if and when he comes up. We've seen it many times before with potential D men to bring them up for a cup and then send them back down. I guess it depends how McLellan feels the D corps will do in the next few upcoming games. This is a tough one, as Allan Mitchell eluded to, because if Nurse see's Ference or Davidson playing ahead of him, he'll wonder why they aren't calling him up. But Nurse is a big boy, he can take whatever they throw at him.

Sounds like Nurse is settling down lately on the rushes as well, which is a good sign. But I'm not sure if calling him up right now will possibly subtract the good things he's starting to grasp down there.

Tough call for Chia.

What about Nikitin if it's really short term? How's he been doing?

If Nikitin gets called up I will drown myself in a bottle of russian vodka and then try to watch the game tomorrow

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Nikitin has played one game but he was a MAJOR factor in the win. he kept everyone calm and collective. This is a very young team. His influence was there. Drai is now just starting to assert himself. Nikitin is paired with Nurse and the two of them are great to watch

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The correct answer is Musil. Been seasoning in the AHL for 2 years. He was decent in his last call up and we don't risk hampering Nurse development by bringing him up and down like MPS. The thing with Nurse and Drai is, once we call them up they are here for good. You don't want to risk killing their confidence.

The problem with all of Musil, Gryba, Fayne and Davidson in the lineup against Minny is there will be a whole lot of little cubed pucks on the ice after that group gets done chopping. Not much for passing...

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Nikitin has played one game but he was a MAJOR factor in the win. he kept everyone calm and collective. This is a very young team. His influence was there. Drai is now just starting to assert himself. Nikitin is paired with Nurse and the two of them are great to watch

Thanks for the update from Bakersfield.

cj354

Nov 2, 2013
The correct answer is Musil. Been seasoning in the AHL for 2 years. He was decent in his last call up and we don't risk hampering Nurse development by bringing him up and down like MPS. The thing with Nurse and Drai is, once we call them up they are here for good. You don't want to risk killing their confidence.

If you bring Musil up you literally only have 2 of 6 (Sekera, Klef) to get our forwards the puck .. McDavid like his puck. He requires his puck.

Nurse is a fly young brotha' rockin' mink khakis and suede turtlenecks, his confidence can't be messed with!

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The problem with all of Musil, Gryba, Fayne and Davidson in the lineup against Minny is there will be a whole lot of little cubed pucks on the ice after that group gets done chopping. Not much for passing...

As long as Musil is not bleeding goals, then that's fine. Our forwards are always retrieving the pucks regardless. Plus the kid is fighting for a job and playing with elite players might trigger elements in his game that we've never seen.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Sometimes a guy can really get some perspective going down to the AHL. Maybe realizing how good he has it in the NHL. Never know how Nikitin might play if/when he is back up.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If you bring Musil up you literally only have 2 of 6 (Sekera, Klef) to get our forwards the puck .. McDavid like his puck. He requires his puck.

Nurse is a fly young brotha' rockin' mink khakis and suede turtlenecks, his confidence can't be messed with!

Nurse has all the tools to be in the NHL now but he's not quite smart enough to process the game. A year in the AHL will help him a lot.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nurse has all the tools to be in the NHL now but he's not quite smart enough to process the game. A year in the AHL will help him a lot.

we said the same 2 yrs ago... and then 1 year ago.
Did playing top minutes in Juniors and eventually winning MVP help him a lot?
will playing top minutes in AHL make him any smarter?

Not rushing Nurse is great for this franchise but to think playing in AHL will make him smarter would be wishful. Nurse will ALWAYS have his moments. Just need to pair him up with a sound defensive Dman..

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Look at our next few games. In Minnesota, and vs. Montreal. Those are not games to bring Nurse in. Do it when they're playing the Flames.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Sometimes a guy can really get some perspective going down to the AHL. Maybe realizing how good he has it in the NHL. Never know how Nikitin might play if/when he is back up.

I'm with you. They're paying him enough money. He was apparently good in the one game he played. He has experience.

I'm totally fine with trying him out for a game.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Give LaLeggia a game and see how he looks. Maybe he adds something to our PP and he makes things interesting?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
we said the same 2 yrs ago... and then 1 year ago.
Did playing top minutes in Juniors and eventually winning MVP help him a lot?
will playing top minutes in AHL make him any smarter?

Not rushing Nurse is great for this franchise but to think playing in AHL will make him smarter would be wishful. Nurse will ALWAYS have his moments. Just need to pair him up with a sound defensive Dman..

Nurse still force plays that are not there. He's like the Taylor Hall of D. It will cost the team and it will set him back as well. The good news is we can afford to develop him properly. Let him dominate the AHL and round out his game. The AHL is a perfect place for him to make mistakes. In the NHL, it will cost the Oilers games.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Give LaLeggia a game and see how he looks. Maybe he adds something to our PP and he makes things interesting?

I'd be in favor of this, he's apparently playing quite well in Bakersfield though the points havent been there yet.

Calling up Hunt is the definition of insanity. The thought of Nikitin coming up hurts me but it's much more likely.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nurse still force plays that are not there. He's like the Taylor Hall of D. It will cost the team and it will set him back as well. The good news is we can afford to develop him properly. Let him dominate the AHL and round out his game. The AHL is a perfect place for him to make mistakes. In the NHL, it will cost the Oilers games.

Nurse will force those plays no matter how long he is burried in AHL for.
Nurse just wouldnt be Nurse without that aggression. Hall of D indeed.

Do you think Schultz would become a defensive Dman if he was put into AHL for a few years? Its just not his game. Nurse has that offensive instinct where he likes to jump up and create something.

He has the speed to come back in play most times but will always require a solid partner if he is to become a top pairing NHL Dman.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Nurse isn't ready (he'll try to do too much and just do a bonehead play) and Ferrence is done. So that leaves another D man to call up to replace Ferrence. There's a few that could be given a chance. Anyone that plays a simple game.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I wouldn't call up Darnell he needs to continue to work on things, much like Draisaitl I think the plan is for him to develop there till he is for sure ready for the NHL and never go back down again.

Based on Reinhart's interview today he's not ready for Minny, but he is super close will probably be back for either the Montreal or Calgary game.

To me Nikitin is a superior option to Ference and I'd prefer to have him playing. Musil is also a decent option as a short term fill-in, who usually doesn't do anything to hurt the team too bad out there. If we had the benefit of home ice advantage I'd consider Hunt as it'd be easier to line-match him against easier comp and utilize him to his strengths and hide his weaknesses.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
If Nikitin gets called up I will drown myself in a bottle of russian vodka and then try to watch the game tomorrow

:laugh:

I know. That's how a lot of people feel. I'm just curious as to how he's been doing down there is all. Haven't heard him mentioned much lately.

EDIT: On that note, I guess I should have read 1 more post before replying. Thanks for the info easternrefugee!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
No point calling Nurse up. He just barely started his AHL career. This is not the time to bring him up. I'd go with Laleggia or Nikitin. Laleggia would be interesting as we don't really know what we got with him but Nikitin is a decent option too.

White Water Kayker

Nov 28, 2014
Didn't Chiarelli say, after he sent him down, that the next time he was up here it would be for good? I don't think he's going to be called up as an injury replacement for just a couple games and then be sent back down. I think the Oilers stick to whatever their original plan for Nurse was and call somebody else up this time. My guess is Nurse stays in the AHL until they move some dead weight out of the organization and clear a permanent roster spot for him.

Agreed.

Leave him where he is. 10 games in is no time to abandon the plan and call him up. He needs some solid time in the A from what we've seen so far, would like him to get it.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
This definitely isn't the season to rush our prospects. We aren't going anywhere this season, other than fighting for position just outside of the playoffs - maybe.

This season fans should expect to be another write off, to be honest. Don't bring up Drai or Nurse until ready.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Let's not shock-and-awe any of our prospects. Call up the giant Russian contract failure. Yech

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Look at our next few games. In Minnesota, and vs. Montreal. Those are not games to bring Nurse in. Do it when they're playing the Flames.

came back to post this, watching nurse face punch flames is great. i wanna make a collage of them all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad