Call Up Darnell?

cj354

Nov 2, 2013
I fully understand what the organization is trying to do, and it is a great plan .. In theory. But our D have been a sore spot all season (specifically the ability to move the puck), and now you have both Reinhart (undisclosed?) and Schultz (sick?) out. Even if it is just 1 or 2 games, I can't fathom starting with Davidson/Ference as the 3rd pairing (don't you dare mention Nikitin's name either!!!).

Can we collectively agree that we tried our damn best to be "patient" and please bring Nurse up?? My stomach is spinning at the thought of dropping all 3 games this week, and I will most certainly not be accepting any kind of loss to that ridiculous team down the road on Saturday!!!

Thoughts, opinions, whisky?

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
He deserved to be the player that's called up now, that's for sure. The question is, is he able to win us more games than he loses? We've seen what happens when our D makes a gaffe, and it usually ends up in the back of the net (Gryba last game, Schultz against Washington, Sekera vs Dallas...). If he can limit his mistakes and play a simple game then he should be called up.

Board Gordon

Light Up The World
Jun 13, 2014
He deserved to be the player that's called up now, that's for sure. The question is, is he able to win us more games than he loses? We've seen what happens when our D makes a gaffe, and it usually ends up in the back of the net (Gryba last game, Schultz against Washington, Sekera vs Dallas...). If he can limit his mistakes and play a simple game then he should be called up.

He doesn't play a simple game.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We either call up Nurse, or we're looking at this for the next couple games..:

Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Gryba
Ference-Davidson

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
We can not play a bottom pairing of Davidson - Ference. Absolutely call up Nurse.

McDeathbyCheerios*

They said they will only do a call up if Schultz will be out for more then a game

cj354

Nov 2, 2013

This is true. However he has always been able to recover from little errors because he skates at such an elite level. Even if for example you think back to that Gryba play last night (I don't mean to single out Gryba because he has actually been playing well in his role), anyway, if Darnell makes the exact same error I still think he recovers and catches Kopitar there.

The main problem I've had with Darnell is that he would often rush the puck deep into the oppositions zone, not know quite what to do, end up losing it and as a result create an odd man rush the opposite way. The the organization is working to drill down this part of his game, and apparently he has been aces so far in the A (I'm sure you've all read the same reports from Cult of Hockey etc).

I just feel like Nurse will inject speed and fury into our lineup that no other available option really can. And I know for an absolute fact he can get our damn forwards the puck!

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Lowetide was discussing this on 1260 this morning.

I have no problem with bringing him up for a very short time, but not too long. But I think the Oilers want him to be ready to stay if and when he comes up. We've seen it many times before with potential D men to bring them up for a cup and then send them back down. I guess it depends how McLellan feels the D corps will do in the next few upcoming games. This is a tough one, as Allan Mitchell eluded to, because if Nurse see's Ference or Davidson playing ahead of him, he'll wonder why they aren't calling him up. But Nurse is a big boy, he can take whatever they throw at him.

Sounds like Nurse is settling down lately on the rushes as well, which is a good sign. But I'm not sure if calling him up right now will possibly subtract the good things he's starting to grasp down there.

Tough call for Chia.

What about Nikitin if it's really short term? How's he been doing?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I do not see why not. If hes needed for 5 games then do it. It helps the team out (we dont have to play a Ference/Davidson bottom pairing) and it gives him NHL reps. If hes good enough, he can maybe stick for more, if hes not ready its an easy return. Its not going to stunt development and wont hurt the team

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Didn't Chiarelli say, after he sent him down, that the next time he was up here it would be for good? I don't think he's going to be called up as an injury replacement for just a couple games and then be sent back down. I think the Oilers stick to whatever their original plan for Nurse was and call somebody else up this time. My guess is Nurse stays in the AHL until they move some dead weight out of the organization and clear a permanent roster spot for him.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i wish they would cause he is better than 3/4 of the guys we have now. but if i was to bet it will be our good buddy brad hunt who comes up if schultz is hurt

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Didn't Chiarelli say, after he sent him down, that the next time he was up here it would be for good? I don't think he's going to be called up as an injury replacement for just a couple games and then be sent back down. I think the Oilers stick to whatever their original plan for Nurse was and call somebody else up this time. My guess is Nurse stays in the AHL until they move some dead weight out of the organization and clear a permanent roster spot for him.

I believe he said that about Draisaitl, not about Nurse.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I wouldn't call up Darnell but I wouldn't play ference either.

Oesterle
Musil
Simpson
Gernat

would be my choice. Nurse and Drai are busy.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Stauffer was talking about this on Oilers Now, and he brought up the Spectre of bringing in Nikitin as a short term fix, only if Schultz is injured longer than a game and with Reinhart likely still not ready for the Minnesota game. Mentioned that Nurse might not be brought up yet because the Oilers want to stick to their plan with him and not mess with him while he's still getting his feet wet at the AHL level. It sounded like more his speculation than any insight into the inner workings of the team, so who knows for sure.

Like has been said, it's a tough call.

oilz89*

A single dman doesn't win us games. Its a team game

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Stauffer was talking about this on Oilers Now, and he brought up the Spectre of bringing in Nikitin as a short term fix, only if Schultz is injured longer than a game and with Reinhart likely still not ready for the Minnesota game. Mentioned that Nurse might not be brought up yet because the Oilers want to stick to their plan with him and not mess with him while he's still getting his feet wet at the AHL level. It sounded like more his speculation than any insight into the inner workings of the team, so who knows for sure.

Like has been said, it's a tough call.

**** no. I don't want the pylon Nikitin anywhere near on the nhl roster. Him and Ference can gtfo.

cj354

Nov 2, 2013

I think at some point the plan has to adjust given the situation. If we give up all 3 games this week that sinks the season pretty deep. We are on the road for Tuesday so there is no sheltering that 3rd pair either. A pair of any of Ference, Davidson, Oesterle, LeLeggia or Nikitin will get chewed to pieces all night!

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
No. He and Leon need to develop into dominate AHL players. No more rushing into bad situations.

Sad to say, bring up Nikki.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

Even if he can, I don't think the Oilers should want him to. Let him be what he was drafted to be, let him develop in the AHL. One 3 game winning streak and a weak start by LA has people dreaming of the playoffs but that's not happening with any combo of players the Oilers have.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The correct answer is Musil. Been seasoning in the AHL for 2 years. He was decent in his last call up and we don't risk hampering Nurse development by bringing him up and down like MPS. The thing with Nurse and Drai is, once we call them up they are here for good. You don't want to risk killing their confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad