Calgary vs Colorado

Who would win in a 7 game series?

• Total voters

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Avs fan saying Flames.

Avs may have the better first line but Calgary is deeper everywhere else. Avs have the advantage in net as well but it's not a big enough advantage to swing a series in the Avs favour.

Yeah. Flames are just a much deeper team all over. That kinda thing tends to have a way of making a difference over a best of seven series.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ian Cole being our 5 is a critique of our blueliners? Cole has been really solid this year. Nemeth is the guy we play regularly who's just a decent 3rd pairing guy...though unlike plenty of previous colorado blueliners he's a legit 3rd pairing guy and every day NHLer...but everybody else can (at least) fill a top 4 role capably, and Nemeth will be replaced by Makar next season.

So I really don't understand why anyone brings our blueline up anymore; it's rapidly turning into a major strength of ours. :dunno:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I take the Flames easily if Mike Smith shows up. If Mike Smith is iffy, it goes game 7 and it's a toss up.

Would be a very entertaining series though.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Avs have brutal depth. Their top line is good but the Flames top line has the ability to play close to their level. After that the rosters arent that close depth wise though. Calgary has a better D, their second line playing guys like Tkachuk vs Backlund vs someone like Jost or Kerfoot is a huge advantage for the flames

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I would actually bet on Calgary. Colorado has really nice high end talent, but Calgary can still roll better lines overall and I think their defense is markedly better.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Ian Cole being our 5 is a critique of our blueliners? Cole has been really solid this year. Nemeth is the guy we play regularly who's just a decent 3rd pairing guy...though unlike plenty of previous colorado blueliners he's a legit 3rd pairing guy and every day NHLer...but everybody else can (at least) fill a top 4 role capably, and Nemeth will be replaced by Makar next season.

So I really don't understand why anyone brings our blueline up anymore; it's rapidly turning into a major strength of ours. :dunno:

Honestly Samuel Girard is massively overrated by Avs and non-Avs fans alike.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I'd lean Calgary right now.
That Avs top line is absurd, but the Calgary one isn't that far off. After that though; like, Tkachuk alone swings it to Calgary in terms of depth.
Defence leans towards Calgary, Top 6 v Top 6 isn't particularly close, considering one team employs Ian Cole to play heavy minutes.
Goaltending leans heavily towards the Avs.

So really it's kind:
Top Talent:
Avs > Flames

Depth:
Avs << Flames

Defence:
Avs << Flames

Goaltending:
Avs >> Flames

I also prefer the Flames system over many in the league. Lots of shots generated, and scoring chances generated. Doesn't lean on high SV% and SH% for sustainability.
Colorado also has the edge in special teams and coaching.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Flames. They have better depth and Dmen, and for whatever reason always seem to play the Avs really well

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Did you mean under-rated?

Underrated? He's a net negative in possession on one of the worst possession teams and has dreadful 5on5 production. He is absolutely overrated. His linemates have better possession without him than with. His eye test also proves he's still very prone to costly mistakes.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Honestly Samuel Girard is massively overrated by Avs and non-Avs fans alike.
When you watch Girard you're amazed how good he is on the breakout his first pass is just amazing. He never looks nervous as a 20 y/o dman and sometimes looks like he isn't playing like 5''10 guy. If there is a dman that is overrated on the Avs I would say it's EJ or Barrie. EJ isn't looking like his old self, he looks slow and have trouble breaking out his own zone that or clearing the puck IMO. Barrie well everyone know that he can put up points alot of points but will also make alot of mistakes that will lead to goals. At this point you would think that Girard looks more like a veteran than EJ. There is still alot of hockey left this season so I hope things will turn out for EJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad