Rumor: Calgary looking at getting a goalie

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Too bad you actually bought out Brouwer.

Price for Smith, Brouwer and futures.

Smith and Brouwer’s contracts totaled 8.75 million. That could have came close to offsettting Price’s 10.5 million dollar price tag for this year and next. Montreal would go into total rebuild mode and would get picks and/or prospects. Montreal would easily have the cap space for Smith and Brouwer.

Then Calgary is stuck with Price's 10 million dollar hit for 5 years after that, solid pass, that contract is a cap killer.

No interest in Price at that price

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Smith and Brouwer’s contracts totaled 8.75 million. That could have came close to offsettting Price’s 10.5 million dollar price tag for this year and next. Montreal would go into total rebuild mode and would get picks and/or prospects. Montreal would easily have the cap space for Smith and Brouwer.

I would love to add Price the player, but no way that contract works for the team going forward.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Then Calgary is stuck with Price's 10 million dollar hit for 5 years after that, solid pass, that contract is a cap killer.

No interest in Price at that price
not that I disagree, but it always depends on the total cap picture. Overpaying a player is okay as long as you have some bargain contracts to offset it.

It seems to me like Calgary is in a unique position to fit Price in. Carolina is another one. Also, it seems to me like adding Price to those teams makes them almost instant contenders. Seems worth it to me.

Reactions: flamesforcup

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
If Calgary doesn't like their goalie prospects, I bet they could shake Jarry loose from Pittsburgh for a reasonable price. DeSmith can handle backup there anyway.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
not that I disagree, but it always depends on the total cap picture. Overpaying a player is okay as long as you have some bargain contracts to offset it.

It seems to me like Calgary is in a unique position to fit Price in. Carolina is another one. Also, it seems to me like adding Price to those teams makes them almost instant contenders. Seems worth it to me.
You make some valid points, ones I've never thought of to be honest. However, I am not sure that a deal could work for the Flames in terms of assets, as the Flames would need to send an equal amount of salary back (or move it out in other deals), which would take from the depth we just added.

At bare minimum adding Price would cost us (in terms of salary and roster players), Smith, Frolik and Stone.

Another thing to consider is Tkachuk needs to sign a new contract after this season, we would have no one to move to clear up space to sign him and would be relying heavily on another big cap increase.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Calgary doesn't have the cap room to fit Price's $10.5m contract. They currently have $7.5m space with 21 of 23 players signed of which Hanifin is one of the unsigned and his contract will probably eat up $5m of the $7.5m space.
Also see WWE's above point about Tkachuk .

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Calgary doesn't have the cap room to fit Price's $10.5m contract. They currently have $7.5m space with 21 of 23 players signed of which Hanifin is one of the unsigned and his contract will probably eat up $5m of the $7.5m space.
Also see WWE's above point about Tkachuk .
You would also be sending salary back to Montreal though. I'm not looking at Calgary's long term outlook however so you could be right, but would it really be so hard to adapt?

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

Gtfo.

Price isn't moving for a bunch of shit.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

I just don't think that there's enough of a difference between a 10.5 million dollar goalie and a 6 million dollar goalie. Putting 10.5 million of your cap into a goalie just seems like its foolish.

And its a long term deal for Price, a goalie that has had some injury issues over the last few years.

I wouldn't want to invest 5 years at a full 10.5.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You would also be sending salary back to Montreal though. I'm not looking at Calgary's long term outlook however so you could be right, but would it really be so hard to adapt?
I strongly suspect that what the Flames would want to send to Montreal and what Montreal would want to receive, are at total polar opposites. I just can't see a deal being done.

Reactions: No Draft

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary just doesnt have the cap to afford a 10.5M goalie

They need to luck out and find another goalie the way they got Kipper since they have no ability to draft their own prospect

It may take another 20 yrs though :help:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If Calgary doesn't like their goalie prospects, I bet they could shake Jarry loose from Pittsburgh for a reasonable price. DeSmith can handle backup there anyway.

Doubt Calgary would offer something worthwhile enough to deal a promising waiver-exempt goalie who's primed to take over the back-up role in '19-'20 though.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
I can't remember an off-season in recent memory where Calgary hasn't been looking for a goalie upgrade. I think its time Brad Treliving stops being a cheapskate and pony up and get Calgary a bonified netminder. First, they passed on Anderson for Elliot than Fleury for Smith. Pay the piper and get yourself a legitimate starting netminder who isn't over the age of 35.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Gtfo.

Price isn't moving for a bunch of ****.

Your right, he isn't moving at all because he played like shit. Injuries are taking its toll and he has no defense in front of him. Enjoy that contract until the next compliance buyout happens.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I can't remember an off-season in recent memory where Calgary hasn't been looking for a goalie upgrade. I think its time Brad Treliving stops being a cheapskate and pony up and get Calgary a bonified netminder. First, they passed on Anderson for Elliot than Fleury for Smith. Pay the piper and get yourself a legitimate starting netminder who isn't over the age of 35.
We were trying to get Andersen, but Anaheim refused to move him within the conference.

The cost for Fleury or Bishop would have been the pick we got Tkachuk with, so Treliving absolutely made the right call.

But please tell us more

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
We were trying to get Andersen, but Anaheim refused to move him within the conference.

The cost for Fleury or Bishop would have been the pick we got Tkachuk with, so Treliving absolutely made the right call.

But please tell us more
He needs to step it up. Go after Saros if they are willing to part with him. He could of had Grubauer if he just ponied up. He needs to get ahead of the curve instead of wasting assets on bandaids. I don't have all the answers for you. They should of made a package including Bennett + a boatload of picks for him. If you want a good player you have to pay a good price. Keeping Tkachuk is fine but there were other options and anyone telling you that "player or pick" was the sticking point is lying. If you offer enough they will take it. I want to see Calgary make the post-season so the Canucks can exact our revenge for the 2015 loss lol.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He needs to step it up. Go after Saros if they are willing to part with him. He could of had Grubauer if he just ponied up. He needs to get ahead of the curve instead of wasting assets on bandaids. I don't have all the answers for you. They should of made a package including Bennett + a boatload of picks for him. If you want a good player you have to pay a good price. Keeping Tkachuk is fine but there were other options and anyone telling you that "player or pick" was the sticking point is lying. If you offer enough they will take it. I want to see Calgary make the post-season so the Canucks can exact our revenge for the 2015 loss lol.
Washington turned down better offers for Grubauer because Orpik had to be included. That would have made the Neal signing impossible. And secondary scoring is a much bigger need.

You also can't just overpay for guys, that is sometimes worse than missing out on them.

Also, Smith was our MVP until he got hurt. So I'm not worried about our goaltending at all. If he looks strong again this year, I'd gladly resignr him.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

But please tell us more

I doubt that either Fleury or Bishop would have ended costing that much. It may have been the rumour but neither guy went for anything close to that so no way in the end that would have been the deal.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Tre tried going for Ben Bishop with a fairly big contract and rumor is ownership veto'd it (this was before his full autonomy contract). Pitt wanted the f***ing Tkachuk pick for Fleury, so they can go f*** themselves right there. I can't recall the Flames ever being in Anderson, and if you mean Andersen then they would have had to massively overpay to a divisional rival, no deal to be had.

And "keeping Tkachuk" is more than fine, Tkachuk is a superstar and is the most important player on the Flames roster. And unlike people on HF who know f***all about hockey, the Flames aren't giving up on Bennett when he is 21 years old.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
James mirtle said Pickard is available on his podcast, if thats of any interest.

Could probably have him for a 4th or something like that.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Tre tried going for Ben Bishop with a fairly big contract and rumor is ownership veto'd it (this was before his full autonomy contract). Pitt wanted the ****ing Tkachuk pick for Fleury, so they can go **** themselves right there. I can't recall the Flames ever being in Anderson, and if you mean Andersen then they would have had to massively overpay to a divisional rival, no deal to be had.

And "keeping Tkachuk" is more than fine, Tkachuk is a superstar and is the most important player on the Flames roster. And unlike people on HF who know ****all about hockey, the Flames aren't giving up on Bennett when he is 21 years old.

The price for Andersen was absurd, because it was divisional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad