Proposal: Calgary/Isles

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Who put him on the block? If the Flames have given up on him, they could have dealt him easily already this summer.

LMAO at the people that said Ho Sang has upside while Bennett is already a bust
lol at you not accepting reality. we've seen what Bemmet can do, we've got a taste of what Ho-Sang can do.

I know who id pick...

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
lol at you not accepting reality. we've seen what Bemmet can do, we've got a taste of what Ho-Sang can do.

I know who id pick...

I am not expecting much from Bennett, I am just laughing at the morons who said Bennett is a bust because he is more proven in the NHL. So if Bennett is still in the AHL putting up bad numbers like Ho-Sang, he would have more upside.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
hosang has shown more at the nhl levet, he's only in the Ahl because we want him to play more within the system, bennett hasnt shown he can play at nhl level

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
No thanks, Nelson is super overrated. I'd rather have the young inexpensive crappy player than the older more expensive crappy player. Also a big hell no to including a pick from the Flames side.

Ha! Nelson is super overrated....That’s comedy. Ask any isles fan and they’ll straight up tell you he’s soft, makes bad decisions, has poor board play, is inconsistent and streaky; yet puts up 20 goals somehow. We’re hoping trotz will get some more out of him.

As for the trade, I think Bennett would be good under trotz. Don’t think this is the right swap though.

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
hosang has shown more at the nhl levet, he's only in the Ahl because we want him to play more within the system, bennett hasnt shown he can play at nhl level

No, he is in the AHL because he can't help them at the NHL level....it's not like the Isles is a strong team.

Bennett had his good games too, just not too many of them but overall he probably had many more good games in the NHL than Ho Sang had in the AHL LMAO

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

If Ho-Sang had shown more at the NHL level he'd be a regular in the NHL, instead he's a regular in the AHL.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Ho-Sang NHL PPG: .51
Bennett NHL PPG: .37

Wow, he's got 43 games for an NHL team that's frankly starved for help. The PPG is meaningless when he's mostly been an AHL player. Bennett is at least an every day NHL player. Ho-Sang whether its his attitude, or effort level just isn't that impressive and if Bennett is a "Bust" at 22 years old, the Ho-Sang is a mega bust at 22.

I'm not interested in him, because frankly Calgary did a lot of work to supposedly clean out dressing room problems from last year, why bring in someone who has shown that he's got a bad attitude and a questionable work ethic. And while Bennett can still play 3rd line and earn his ice time, if you don't "Give" Ho-Sang his ice time, he pouts.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Wow, he's got 43 games for an NHL team that's frankly starved for help. The PPG is meaningless when he's mostly been an AHL player. Bennett is at least an every day NHL player. Ho-Sang whether its his attitude, or effort level just isn't that impressive and if Bennett is a "Bust" at 22 years old, the Ho-Sang is a mega bust at 22.

I'm not interested in him, because frankly Calgary did a lot of work to supposedly clean out dressing room problems from last year, why bring in someone who has shown that he's got a bad attitude and a questionable work ethic. And while Bennett can still play 3rd line and earn his ice time, if you don't "Give" Ho-Sang his ice time, he pouts.
The Islanders had the same amount of points as the Flames last season despite allowing the most goals of any team in over a decade, so if their forward group was "starved for help" I can't imagine what the Flames' looked like.

And Lawson Crouse made the NHL before Mathew Barzal. Sooner ≠ better.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Wow, he's got 43 games for an NHL team that's frankly starved for help.

NYI may be starved for help, but they aren't starved for help in goal scoring. In fact, they scored 264 goals last year which was 8th in the league.

Meanwhile, CGY scored 218 goals which was tied for 27th. So frankly, if any team is starved for scoring help it's CGY.

Ho Sang may have holes in his game, and may bust, but to say the fact that he didn't play a lot on a bad Islanders team is an indictment is wrong. The team made the decision that it was better in the long run to try and develop his game more. If they were "starved" for scoring, the stupid thing to do is just plug a young player into the lineup....

kinda like CGY did with their development of Bennett.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
NYI may be starved for help, but they aren't starved for help in goal scoring. In fact, they scored 264 goals last year which was 8th in the league.

Meanwhile, CGY scored 218 goals which was tied for 27th. So frankly, if any team is starved for scoring help it's CGY.

Ho Sang may have holes in his game, and may bust, but to say the fact that he didn't play a lot on a bad Islanders team is an indictment is wrong. The team made the decision that it was better in the long run to try and develop his game more. If they were "starved" for scoring, the stupid thing to do is just plug a young player into the lineup....

kinda like CGY did with their development of Bennett.

Yeah, good points but that also explains the inflated numbers on several of their players including Ho Sang....they were just playing on one side of the ice.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Yeah, good points but that also explains the inflated numbers on several of their players including Ho Sang....they were just playing on one side of the ice.
Swing and a miss again. 0-2 is the count.

It says they had a really good top 6, which they did. 8th in goal scoring is not a surprise when you look at that forward group on paper. If they were playing the supposed pond hockey that everyone talks about how come the guys in the bottom 6 didn't produce at all? Was at only the top 6 that Dougie Weight told to not try on defense?

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

Except that Bennett has shown he can play at the nhl level, the criticism of Bennett realistically is his offense hasn't developed like it should, especially when you consider his draft position, but he's done a good job on a third line that at times was talent poor, but he's an NHLer, fact is he's still scored 42 goals and 89 point in 241 games by the age of 22 says he has shown that he is an NHL player.

Ho Sang is a massive question mark that at about the same age has played 43 games and has spent most of his time in the AHL means that his NHL pedigree is extremely questionable, combine that with his attitude being less then stellar, and it makes you wonder. Ho-Sang really has not shown that he's an NHL player.

Right now Ho-Sang doesn't get Bennett.

Reactions: No Draft

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Swing and a miss again. 0-2 is the count.

It says they had a really good top 6, which they did. 8th in goal scoring is not a surprise when you look at that forward group on paper. If they were playing the supposed pond hockey that everyone talks about how come the guys in the bottom 6 didn't produce at all? Was at only the top 6 that Dougie Weight told to not try on defense?

Yes, your top 6 did play pond hockey. That's why they were still losing games despite scoring all those goals....accept that and deal with it so you can get better.

Why your bottom 6 didnt produce? because they suck...simple as that

BTW, this made me look at the stats and at 22 Josh Bailey were not scoring any better than Sam Bennett....I guess the pond hockey, makes him an NHLer now LMAO again.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Yes, your top 6 did play pond hockey. That's why they were still losing games despite scoring all those goals....accept that and deal with it so you can get better.

Why your bottom 6 didnt produce? because they suck...simple as that

BTW, this made me look at the stats and at 22 Josh Bailey were not scoring any better than Sam Bennett....I guess the pond hockey, makes him an NHLer now LMAO again.
So the top 6 produced as a result of the system, but the bottom 6 didn't produce as a result of their talent? So the bottom 6 was playing a different system than the top 6 or did they just suck too bad? If it was because they suck, then how come Cizikas, Nelson, Clutterbuck, and Ladd all saw their production decrease under Doug Weight's "pond hockey" system? And do you think that the fact that a team that had an average defense to begin with lost a top 4 D to trade, another to season-ending injury, and another for over a month to injury had something to do with the GA numbers?

And lol Josh Bailey was the most hated player on the entire team up until 2 years ago. If Bennett has the same miraculous improvement at 26 that Bailey did than you should celebrate. In the meantime, I suggest you go with a different example because if you're trying to convince Isles fans that Bennett is good, comparing him to early years Josh Bailey is a terrible idea.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Except that Bennett has shown he can play at the nhl level, the criticism of Bennett realistically is his offense hasn't developed like it should, especially when you consider his draft position, but he's done a good job on a third line that at times was talent poor, but he's an NHLer, fact is he's still scored 42 goals and 89 point in 241 games by the age of 22 says he has shown that he is an NHL player.

Ho Sang is a massive question mark that at about the same age has played 43 games and has spent most of his time in the AHL means that his NHL pedigree is extremely questionable, combine that with his attitude being less then stellar, and it makes you wonder. Ho-Sang really has not shown that he's an NHL player.

Right now Ho-Sang doesn't get Bennett.

There is no way i would trade Ho-Sang for Bennett. Ho-Sang might not be an nhler, but if he is he will blow Bennett out of the water. Happy to take the risk for the upside.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
The difference is Ho Sang is immature, not a malcontent. There is a difference, eventually kids do grow up, Bennett just isn't as talented as Ho Sang. It's like the drunk who meets an Ugly woman, which calls him a Drunk, and he replies yeah I am....But in the morning I'll be sober.

Ho Sang, will eventually grow up. Bennett will never grow more talented.

It's why he fell to 4th in the draft after the combine

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
As was reported then:

"First among North American skaters in NHL Central Scouting's final 2014 draft rankings, the Kingston Frontenacs centre finished dead-last in one category during Saturday's fitness testing at the annual combine. Bennett couldn't do a single pull-up.

"I was definitely disappointed with myself," Bennett said. "I was wanting to do the best I can in every test. But, I guess, ultimately games aren't won or lost if you can do a pull-up in the gym

You don't need to be a workout warrior to play the game on the ice"

Obviously he was just one of those who was more talented at a younger age who just didn't work to get better and was passed by others who worked at their craft.

Last edited:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
As was reported then:

"First among North American skaters in NHL Central Scouting's final 2014 draft rankings, the Kingston Frontenacs centre finished dead-last in one category during Saturday's fitness testing at the annual combine. Bennett couldn't do a single pull-up.

"I was definitely disappointed with myself," Bennett said. "I was wanting to do the best I can in every test. But, I guess, ultimately games aren't won or lost if you can do a pull-up in the gym

You don't need to be a workout warrior to play the game on the ice"

Obviously he was just one of those who was more talented at a younger age who just didn't work to get better and was passed by others who worked at their craft.

You seriously dont know why he couldnt do any pull-ups?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad