Proposal: Calgary/Isles

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Don't think Isles fans will like this one. Nelson has more value to them than Bennett has. Flames fans won't like it because they still hold out hope he'll break out.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
So crazy. It’s the Kingston curse. There were reports that some teams had Bennett 1st overall on their board.

I haven’t seen much of Bennett in the NHL aside from a handful of flames games but he never look horrible to me. I think he’s definitely an NHLer and still young enough to make something of himself. Maybe he won’t ever be a topline forward but maybe can still be an impactful player.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Don't think Isles fans will like this one. Nelson has more value to them than Bennett has. Flames fans won't like it because they still hold out hope he'll break out.

So instead of a 4th maybe a 2nd since Nelson has more value?

I get Flames fans holding out hope of him breaking out and being a top line guy but I just don't see it.

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018
Sam Bennett hasn't earned minutes in offensive situations, but he does a lot of things well, despite the not-great stats.

From what I know of Brock Nelson, he's a big centre, also plays wing, who is an inconsistent player, terrible without the puck

In a way, Nelson is the disappointment many fans hope Bennett doesn't become.

So. Fair trade?

Reactions: InfinityIggy

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Sam Bennett hasn't earned minutes in offensive situations, but he does a lot of things well, despite the not-great stats.

From what I know of Brock Nelson, he's a big centre, also plays wing, who is an inconsistent player, terrible without the puck

In a way, Nelson is the disappointment many fans hope Bennett doesn't become.

So. Fair trade?

Nelson can play center but he’s way better as a winger. He’s in a sense both consistent and inconsistent. But the end of the year when you look on up he’ll have 20 goals.

He’s also not terrible without the puck. He’s not going to win any selkes or be a physical presence.

The inconsistent part comes from him being a streaky scorer. He’ll go on a run for 10 games and the. He’ll not score for the next 10-15

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Not interested.

Bennett just turned 22. Guy has flashes of amazing play. With Hartley he was very assertive and was quite the player. Hoping a new coach does wonders.

Potential to be a 50 point powerforward is still there. Nelson is also horrible when he is not scoring.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Pass from a Calgary perspective, I'd rather see what happens with Bennett who was on a positive development path before GG showed up as coach.

Also the Flames are good at center with Monahan, Backlund, Janks, Ryan etc. Nelson's also not great without the puck and wouldn't surpass Tkatchuk, Gaudreau, Lindholm or Neal on the wings He's probably going to get between 3 and 4 million which isn't something that I would be interested in seeing in the bottom 6.

At least with Bennett he wasn't hurting the Flames in the bottom 6 and bought a physical game that the Flames need more of .

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I watched a lot of Calgary the past two years - mainly for Gaudreau who's so fan good at hockey.

Bennett can also disappear, like Brick Nelson (yes it's rude but his hockey IQ is brick-like)

I'm not sure what the market for Nelson is. Not sure the Isles need Bennett either. Maybe a right shot defenseman? Does CAL have one the isles would like?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Don't see why Calgary would do this but Isles fans should be all over it, would be interesting to see if Trotz could push Bennett in the right direction.

Reactions: IODCPiper

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
No thanks from Calgary. I'm far from a Bennett defender but if the Flames were to trade him I wouldn't want a second coming of Rene Bourque

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Ho-Sang for Bennett

Ohhhh. That's interesting.

Not really to me, Treliving spent the summer trying to adjust the locker room chemistry after basically hinting that he didn't like the locker room dynamic and leadership. Bringing in Ho-Sang goes against that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Why is Bennett on the block out of curiosity?
Bennett isn't on the block, the closet rumor to him being available was Friedman suggesting we could move him to get into the first round. Since there is is just a multitude of proposals from opposition fans low balling us.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
from a NYI perspective I kind of like it. The Isles do need centers. Why is Bennett on the block out of curiosity?

Because he's so bad that the Flames should trade him, and he's so good that every team wants him.

Reactions: Kahvi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad