Value of: Calgary Guys

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Keep in mind he has a $9 million qualifying offer due after next season.
I understand that. Just wanted to know what it would take. I am sure he would work with blues on contract. Besidee he is arbitration eligible.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
i agree with you that the Flames have seemed very reluctant to do it, but I wonder how many other teams have never retained on contracts when dealing players.

Well for Calgary it's always been this way, since they got the franchise, i don't recall a single retention, but probably only a few teams are like this, most owners are Billionaires so they aren't afraid to throw their money around.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He seems to be struggling. Just in general what are Calgary needs and what is expected return.
We have a lot of needs. I'd say our biggest need is either a #1C or a top 6 RW. The return wouldn't be small. It would be player(s) that would hurt to lose. He's young enough to go through a rebuild/retool and is a unicorn in the modern NHL. There isn't a player in the league with tools like Tkachuk.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
We have a lot of needs. I'd say our biggest need is either a #1C or a top 6 RW. The return wouldn't be small. It would be player(s) that would hurt to lose. He's young enough to go through a rebuild/retool and is a unicorn in the modern NHL. There isn't a player in the league with tools like Tkachuk.
Maybe brady... lol. I get it I offered kostin power forward with a shot. Is nhl ready. Vince dunn 2nd pairing puck moving dman capable of 30+ points and can qb a power play. Plus first round pick. Would that be a good start in your opinion.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Maybe brady... lol. I get it I offered kostin power forward with a shot. Is nhl ready. Vince dunn 2nd pairing puck moving dman capable of 30+ points and can qb a power play. Plus first round pick. Would that be a good start in your opinion.
No

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

If you want Tkachuk you’d have to give up something like Kyrou and Neighbours to get the Flames listening

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I like Dunn. Kostin isn't a suitable forward. He was drafted 4 years ago and hasn't really played yet. I'd want to see what he is at the NHL level and he'd need to be a 20 goal type to make that package work. The ask would be Kyrou, Dunn and a 1st from me.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I like Dunn. Kostin isn't a suitable forward. He was drafted 4 years ago and hasn't really played yet. I'd want to see what he is at the NHL level and he'd need to be a 20 goal type to make that package work. The ask would be Kyrou, Dunn and a 1st from me.
Kostin was 17 when he was drafted. H has played in the ahl adapting his game to North America. Blues had some issues with having our own ahl team so his playing time wasn't what we liked. This year he couldn't get his work visa in time so he was allowed to play in khl where he started slowly then started breaking out. He is currently in the championship round of their playoffs and will be joining the blues after. Hw was a shoe in to make team.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Yeah we can't let go of kyrou. Kid is to dynamic for first full year in the league. I really don't want to give up on kostin. Thanks for the input

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Well for Calgary it's always been this way, since they got the franchise, i don't recall a single retention, but probably only a few teams are like this, most owners are Billionaires so they aren't afraid to throw their money around.

that's more so the NFL.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I still don't see any reason to get rid of Gaudreau. Trading him makes us even more mediocre. Honestly he'd be the last forward on the roster I'd be interested in trading.
Well your partly right ..but for different reasons. His value is probably at an all time low and thr return in a flat cap world would be underwhelming. Second it may be too late. The 1C spot was waht needed to be filled years ago and it didn't happen. They basically wasted some good flame teams. Realistically this team isn't gonna compete for a few seasons and when they do Johnny will be on the east coast. Mays well speed up the retool and deal him now

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yeah we can't let go of kyrou. Kid is to dynamic for first full year in the league. I really don't want to give up on kostin. Thanks for the input
I get not wanting to give him up, but that's what I mean by it will be pieces you don't want to give up. BTW, Kyrou was the same draft year as Tkachuk, so you're not moving youth for a vet here. Development is comparable.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I get not wanting to give him up, but that's what I mean by it will be pieces you don't want to give up. BTW, Kyrou was the same draft year as Tkachuk, so you're not moving youth for a vet here. Development is comparable.
Kyrou has been slowly developed and is having a break out year. He is cost controlled and his next contract will not be 9mil lol. I get what you are saying. I just see a bright future for kyrpu and his speed is something you just can't teach.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Well your partly right ..but for different reasons. His value is probably at an all time low and thr return in a flat cap world would be underwhelming. Second it may be too late. The 1C spot was waht needed to be filled years ago and it didn't happen. They basically wasted some good flame teams. Realistically this team isn't gonna compete for a few seasons and when they do Johnny will be on the east coast. Mays well speed up the retool and deal him now

The problem with the Flames makeup is we need elite talent. We only really have one forward who is close (Gaudreau). And the rest of the team is real young. Trade Gaudreau and we aren't bad enough yet to tank, and we're further from competing.

In a world where we happen to find a few great players, if we no longer have a Gaudreau type we are going to be right back where we started.

I really don't think Gaudreau has the type of game that ages poorly. Even if we need to restock, he's the guy you want to try and keep around as he's the least replaceable.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
To Toronto
Johny Gaudreau (retained @50%) this year and next...

To Calgary
Nick Robertson
Topi Niemela
2021 1st round pick
2022 2nd round pick

Thinking something like...

Nylander-Matthews-Marner
Gaudreau-Tavares-Hyman

Doesn't get you the center Calgary might want, but you don't take any money back, you get two excellent prospects and two quality picks and you clear 3.4 million in cap space this year and 3.4 million more at the end of next year.

In exchange, the Leafs take 2 quality cracks at the Cup, before choosing between Gaudreau and Nylander moving forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: YP44

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
The problem with the Flames makeup is we need elite talent. We only really have one forward who is close (Gaudreau). And the rest of the team is real young. Trade Gaudreau and we aren't bad enough yet to tank, and we're further from competing.

In a world where we happen to find a few great players, if we no longer have a Gaudreau type we are going to be right back where we started.

I really don't think Gaudreau has the type of game that ages poorly. Even if we need to restock, he's the guy you want to try and keep around as he's the least replaceable.
There is some truth to what you say but in reality johnny G doesn't want to be in calagry. When his term is up or a trade he will be relocating to the east coast. Maybe he walk for nothing . The flames have work to do , lots of work to waste his best prime years trying to build doesn't seem like a thing he would want to do.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

I’m sorry if this comes off as discourteous, but aren’t you bad enough now to tank even with him?

With the present core you have no hope of contending. It’s just... not there.

You need to sell in the worst way.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Is the flames owner not or is he just really cheap or scared seeing his other rich friends lose their businesses every few years

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
To Toronto
Johny Gaudreau (retained @50%) this year and next...

To Calgary
Nick Robertson
Topi Niemela
2021 1st round pick
2022 2nd round pick

Thinking something like...

Nylander-Matthews-Marner
Gaudreau-Tavares-Hyman

Doesn't get you the center Calgary might want, but you don't take any money back, you get two excellent prospects and two quality picks and you clear 3.4 million in cap space this year and 3.4 million more at the end of next year.

In exchange, the Leafs take 2 quality cracks at the Cup, before choosing between Gaudreau and Nylander moving forward.

I would make this deal if you swapped the years on the picks. 2021 2nd and 2022 1st.

Then I would also offer you Gio at 50% for Liljegren and cap dump.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I would make this deal if you swapped the years on the picks. 2021 2nd and 2022 1st.

Then I would also offer you Gio at 50% for Liljegren and cap dump.

I'd swap the years on those picks and make the deal.

I'm going to respectfully decline the Gio for Liljegren deal, because although Gio would be an excellent addition to our D-core for the playoff run, if I'm parting with Robertson and Niemela, I'm shipping out 2 of Toronto's top 5 prospects already and with the 2021 2nd round pick and 2022 1st round pick involved in the deal, it's going to be a slow progress in recouping prospects of that value through the draft. Also, we're going to to need Liljegren on his ELC over the next couple years, in order to make the cap work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad