Calgary Flames Prospects: Part 2

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
The Flames have made it extremely clear that they do not think that you can "overcook" a prospect by having them in the AHL too long.

Max may be ready to play in the NHL, but he is not ready to contribute in the NHL. He needs more time and needs to take advantage of his opportunities when they come along.

While you can't overcook a player in the NHL, you sure as Hell can undercook them, and I think that's half the reason as to why he should make the roster while Baertschi, Granlund and Gaudreau are going to require more time.

What I meant when I said that I wouldn't want him to waste another year on the Heat is simply that as a prospect, his role in the Heat organization is to learn, and personally, from the way he played last year, I feel he probably has very little left to learn from the AHL. Now it's time for him to try developing at the NHL level, because the skill is there... prospects or rookies are rarely expected to "contribute" in the NHL, because the first year is in itself a learning experience unless you're a freak like MacKinnon or Krug.

I bet he could jump in playing on our second line this year and look as good as Monahan did last year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
While you can't overcook a player in the NHL, you sure as Hell can undercook them, and I think that's half the reason as to why he should make the roster while Baertschi, Granlund and Gaudreau are going to require more time.

What I meant when I said that I wouldn't want him to waste another year on the Heat is simply that as a prospect, his role in the Heat organization is to learn, and personally, from the way he played last year, I feel he probably has very little left to learn from the AHL. Now it's time for him to try developing at the NHL level, because the skill is there... prospects or rookies are rarely expected to "contribute" in the NHL, because the first year is in itself a learning experience unless you're a freak like MacKinnon or Krug.

I bet he could jump in playing on our second line this year and look as good as Monahan did last year.
Everything I said were things Burle and Treliving have said.

A prospect will be deemed NHL ready when they can contribute at the NHL level. You can disagree all you want, but it is what they have said.

BTW Baertschi has been a pro longer than Reinhart. Granlund was playing pro in Europe before coming over and Gaudreau has a skill set that could have him contribute now.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Eric Roy seemed like he had a poor camp and with so many prospects that do his game but better in Kulak, Culkin and Hickey.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
why Kanzig?

Because he's slow (I think people overrate his mobility) and he has no offensive tools to speak of. Unless something changes substantially over the next season or two I'm guessing he'll be another Chris Breen; big guy, decent positionally, too slow for the NHL, barely fast enough for the AHL.

His top end speed is acceptable, but he takes so long to get there it doesn't really matter. And he certainly doesn't seem very agile.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm worried about Ramage to, but I'm really pulling for the guy. He seems like an awesome teammate. It's very premature to count Kanzig out IMO, considering what he is.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
I'm worried about Ramage to, but I'm really pulling for the guy. He seems like an awesome teammate. It's very premature to count Kanzig out IMO, considering what he is.

TBH I think Ramage goes beast mode in camp/preseason and takes the 7th spot that's open. That is one of my bold predictions.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Sam Bennett an 8.0C according ti HF... i thought he woulda been an 8.0B or 8.5C..
seems like the guy who does calgarys always projects players a little lower than other teams.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
I heard that Nashville's 2nd rounder Russian guy is also 8.0C, so are you telling me that Bennett and that 2nd rounder have the same potential with the same chance of busting?:help:

I don't get HF ratings:rant:

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Honest question here, who do you think will be better; Connor BLEACKLEY or Bill Arnold ? They play the same game (almost exactly), but I think Arnold will be the better of the two just based on his face offs alone.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Honest question here, who do you think will be better; Connor BLEACKLEY or Bill Arnold ? They play the same game (almost exactly), but I think Arnold will be the better of the two just based on his face offs alone.

First of all, is there a reason you capitalized Bleackley's last name? I don't mean anything by asking, I'm just burning with curiosity.

I think Bleackley has a good chance to be a much more impactful NHL player than Arnold. That said, Arnold has really seemed good during dev camp and seems to be willing to push his way up the prospect depth chart.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
First of all, is there a reason you capitalized Bleackley's last name? I don't mean anything by asking, I'm just burning with curiosity.

I think Bleackley has a good chance to be a much more impactful NHL player than Arnold. That said, Arnold has really seemed good during dev camp and seems to be willing to push his way up the prospect depth chart.

My mobile device just really like Bleackely.

I'm just wondering because they seem like almost identical players, but one was taken in the first round and the other in the fourth. I feel like they both have an equal chance of becoming a Bergeron lite 3rd liner on their respective teams.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I can see Arnold being a 3rd/4th line C for the Flames with Monahan/Bennett as the 1-2 punch. Depending on if Backlund stays with us determines if Arnold would be a 3rd or 4th line center. I think he'll always be a bottom 6 center, but a very good one.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Arnold is one of those prospects that's been a huge riser, so the majority will say Bleackley. However, both skillsets and upsides are pretty comparable at this point, so as of now it's a fair comment to say their ceilings are pretty comparable.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Eric Roy will never be anything unless moved to forward, been saying it for a while now, but it's hard for me to call a 5th round pick a bust.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What prospects do you think will bust?

Major bust factor is clearly Jankowski.

I think a large portion will bust, because that's what happens. If every player finishes where they are suppose to; the NHL would have to expand to 90 teams.

I have a bad feeling about Gillies. Reino is making me nervous too; simply because there's no room for him in Calgary and he might just get lost in the shuffle.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sam Bennett an 8.0C according ti HF... i thought he woulda been an 8.0B or 8.5C..
seems like the guy who does calgarys always projects players a little lower than other teams.

Agreed with the bolded. Either of those would have been what I'd rate him at. 8.0C sounds too much like he's only got a very outside chance of being a first line player, which isn't really accurate at this point, IMO.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Agreed with the bolded. Either of those would have been what I'd rate him at. 8.0C sounds too much like he's only got a very outside chance of being a first line player, which isn't really accurate at this point, IMO.

It's the same rating they gave to Kevin Fiala. Are they trying to say that a 5'10" European winger has the same ceiling and probability of reaching it as someone who was considered the top forward going into the draft by several sources?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's the same rating they gave to Kevin Fiala. Are they trying to say that a 5'10" European winger has the same ceiling and probability of reaching it as someone who was considered the top forward going into the draft by several sources?

Does anyone know Matt Duchene's prospect rating after he was drafted? Because from my viewings of both of them when they were the same age, I'd say Bennett's upside is similar to Duchene but with an edge/bite to his game. Duchene's the faster skater, but Bennett's got a more developed defensive game. The rest of their skillset is similar.

Keep in mind we're talking upside here -- obviously there's a chance he doesn't reach this upside. But *at this point in time* Bennett's like some kind of hybrid between Duchene and Mike Richards (Duchene's hands/explosiveness, Richards' defense/grit/physicality). IMO, that's worthy of more than a 8.0C at this point.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

That's just a Calgary thing.
We still get absolutely no respect in the league. Hell, half these half-wit 'reporters' get information horribly wrong when they 'cover' the Flames. He gets drafted to the ****** Kitties or one of the other three bottom feeders; he'd be an 8.0B or 8.5C.

Oh well. Have to just get better and make the league take notice. Tired of being the leagues whipping boy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad