Calgary Flames Prospects: Part 2

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly, I don't expect him to be signed. He's likely never to become an NHL'er and there's already so much depth on the Heat.

Edit: The A Flames..

Last edited:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I know we're all enamored with JG as of late, but I recently read elsewhere on HF that Coda Gordon has yet to sign an ELC and if he doesn't, he is eligible to re-enter the draft.

6' 190 lbs. 26-45-71 in 59 games with Swift Current this year. Any chance he gets his ELC before June 1?

It's possible, but I think it's unlikely. His skating is well below NHL level, and I don't think he has any standout tools, either.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
What are your opinions on where Baertschi will play next season? In the NHL for sure? Depending on his training camp? Playing in the AHL no matter what?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What are your opinions on where Baertschi will play next season? In the NHL for sure? Depending on his training camp? Playing in the AHL no matter what?
I think there is 1 LW spot up for grabs. Whoever has the best camp between the kids will get it. Sven will be in the mix against Gaudreau, Reinhart and Granlund IMO.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think there is 1 LW spot up for grabs. Whoever has the best camp between the kids will get it. Sven will be in the mix against Gaudreau, Reinhart and Granlund IMO.

I think it's unlikely every player on our roster is healthy out of training camp, so I think two of those guys make the opening day roster. Just a hunch, though.

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
Dat prospect pool tho.

Poirier - Monahan - Gaudreau
Jankowski - Bennett - Baertschi
Granlund - Backlund - Reinhart
Does - It - Matter?

Brodie - Giordano
Sieloff - Wotherspoon
Culkin - Smith

Ramo
Gillies/Ortio

Where do we fit in Klimchuk? Agostino? Others?

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
We gotta package up some guys for young dmen, I'm also getting some oilers hope vibes from these threads

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

My guess is Baertschi and Reinhart moving up. Let Gaudreau and Granlund play a year in the AHL. Can't imagine Johnny staying there for a long time though.

Sven has to play his best hockey, or else Johnny will easily slot in the Flames' lineup.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I don't know if Sven could handle being sent down again. If he impresses in camp and makes the team, I think that's his last chance to stay a productive player with the Flames. You can't send him down 2 years in a row and expect him to live up to his potential.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't know if Sven could handle being sent down again. If he impresses in camp and makes the team, I think that's his last chance to stay a productive player with the Flames. You can't send him down 2 years in a row and expect him to live up to his potential.

Gustav Nyquist.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Sabres fan coming in the spirit of brotherly love: I made a thread on the Prospects board about the rather unique and frankly awesome possibility of all three Reinhart brothers, following different developmental paths, all having their rookie seasons this year. I'd love some insight from you guys on Max's chances or any other thoughts on Brothers Reinhart.

I know that Max won't technically be a rookie as far as the Calder eligibility goes (more than 6 games in the previous two seasons), but that's meaningless in my eyes.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sabres fan coming in the spirit of brotherly love: I made a thread on the Prospects board about the rather unique and frankly awesome possibility of all three Reinhart brothers, following different developmental paths, all having their rookie seasons this year. I'd love some insight from you guys on Max's chances or any other thoughts on Brothers Reinhart.

I know that Max won't technically be a rookie as far as the Calder eligibility goes (more than 6 games in the previous two seasons), but that's meaningless in my eyes.
Max is unlikely to be in the NHL this year full-time. I'd say his chances on making the big club full-time are less than 10%, he will have to beat out Baertschi, Gaudreau and Granlund for the lone LW spot that is available.

I could see him getting 25-30 games an an injury recall though.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Max is unlikely to be in the NHL this year full-time. I'd say his chances on making the big club full-time are less than 10%, he will have to beat out Baertschi, Gaudreau and Granlund for the lone LW spot that is available.

I could see him getting 25-30 games an an injury recall though.

Dunno about that, I think at this point he is honestly more qualified to play in the NHL than any of the players you listed based on the fact that he's a multi-year veteran on the Heat and has played great down there, especially last season. I think he would make a very good second or third-line LW for us this year, and if we can't find space for him, let's try to trade him to the Sabres or the Islanders rather than making him waste another year in Abbotsford when his game is at an NHL level.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Dunno about that, I think at this point he is honestly more qualified to play in the NHL than any of the players you listed based on the fact that he's a multi-year veteran on the Heat and has played great down there, especially last season. I think he would make a very good second or third-line LW for us this year, and if we can't find space for him, let's try to trade him to the Sabres or the Islanders rather than making him waste another year in Abbotsford when his game is at an NHL level.
The Flames have made it extremely clear that they do not think that you can "overcook" a prospect by having them in the AHL too long.

Max may be ready to play in the NHL, but he is not ready to contribute in the NHL. He needs more time and needs to take advantage of his opportunities when they come along.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad