Calgary Flames Prospects: Part 2

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Does anyone know Matt Duchene's prospect rating after he was drafted? Because from my viewings of both of them when they were the same age, I'd say Bennett's upside is similar to Duchene but with an edge/bite to his game. Duchene's the faster skater, but Bennett's got a more developed defensive game. The rest of their skillset is similar.

Keep in mind we're talking upside here -- obviously there's a chance he doesn't reach this upside. But *at this point in time* Bennett's like some kind of hybrid between Duchene and Mike Richards (Duchene's hands/explosiveness, Richards' defense/grit/physicality). IMO, that's worthy of more than a 8.0C at this point.

He was an 8.5B... the plot thickens. I agree that the two players have roughly the same offensive upside.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Does anyone know Matt Duchene's prospect rating after he was drafted? Because from my viewings of both of them when they were the same age, I'd say Bennett's upside is similar to Duchene but with an edge/bite to his game. Duchene's the faster skater, but Bennett's got a more developed defensive game. The rest of their skillset is similar.

Keep in mind we're talking upside here -- obviously there's a chance he doesn't reach this upside. But *at this point in time* Bennett's like some kind of hybrid between Duchene and Mike Richards (Duchene's hands/explosiveness, Richards' defense/grit/physicality). IMO, that's worthy of more than a 8.0C at this point.

I think Matty Duchene was an 8.5B or C; if I remember correctly.
Honestly, the top 3-4 players drafted generally get these ridiculously high ratings; except Bennett apparently. Hell Adam Larsson got an 8.0B; as a Dman.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I see Bennett more along the lines of Datsyuk instead of Duchene. A year or two before he makes the league, but when he does he will be one of the best two-way forwards out there. He's not big enough to play a Toews game, but he has the skill and defensive ability to be like Datsyuk. A gritty Datsyuk...mmmmmm.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I see Bennett more along the lines of Datsyuk instead of Duchene. A year or two before he makes the league, but when he does he will be one of the best two-way forwards out there. He's not big enough to play a Toews game, but he has the skill and defensive ability to be like Datsyuk. A gritty Datsyuk...mmmmmm.

Settle down. A bit too much soon.

He was an 8.5B... the plot thickens. I agree that the two players have roughly the same offensive upside.

I am not sure why people go by HF ratings. They suck.

If Bennett can put up close to 55 points in rookie year we can compare to Duchene. He hasn't even played yet. I want him to be like that, but its putting pressure on the kid.

Last edited:

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I wonder why of the top four draft picks, that Bennett is the only one with a ranking? Nothing for Reinhart, Ekblad or Draisaitl.

They all go up at different times. Right now the only first-rounders they have with ratings are Bennett (8.0C), Ehlers (8.0C), Fiala (8.0C), Sanheim (7.5C), Schmaltz (7.5D), Kapanen (8.0D), Kempe (7.0C) and Quenneville (7.0C).

IMO they are high-balling a lot of these prospects. I don't really see Nick Schmaltz as being an average 1st/elite 2nd line forward on any NHL team, sorry.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They all go up at different times. Right now the only first-rounders they have with ratings are Bennett (8.0C), Ehlers (8.0C), Fiala (8.0C), Sanheim (7.5C), Schmaltz (7.5D), Kapanen (8.0D), Kempe (7.0C) and Quenneville (7.0C).

IMO they are high-balling a lot of these prospects. I don't really see Nick Schmaltz as being an average 1st/elite 2nd line forward on any NHL team, sorry.

Besides from Bennett's rating, I think Ehlers' rating is a bit low. Not the letter part, but the grade. He's the type of guy who has a huge upside, but a good chance of not reaching it. Ehlers could be Patrick Kane ... or he could be Nikita Filatov. So the number grade should reflect the upside, but the letter grade should reflect the longshot of that happening.

Similarly, I think Kapanen's D letter grade is strange. He's probably closer to a 8.0C or a 7.5B rather than an anything D. He seems like a "safe" pick, but with questionable upside. IMO, those types of players should maybe score a lower number grade but a higher letter grade.

In other words, HF's grading needs to be taken with a massive coronary inducing grain of salt.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just got a couple replies from the Sharks board regarding Acolatse, apparently the injury was a broken leg. And they are all pissed he was not qualified.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Just looked him up. You guys know me and my infatuation of getting right handedness in our lineup. I'm happy :).

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Didn't know where to put this... But went a little thread searching (for fun), and look at our top ten 10 prospects ten and a half years ago (12/22/03)!

1. Dion Phaneuf
2. Eric Nystrom
3. Tim Ramholt
4. Brent Krahn
5. Andrei Medvedev
6. Andrei Taratukhin (tie)
6. Yuri Trubachev (tie)
8. Curtis McElhinney
9. Mike Commodore
10. Dany Sabourin

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=37981

Compared to this years' top 10:

1. Johnny Gaudreau (50.0%)
2. Sam Bennett (60.53%)
3. Sven Baertschi (90.47%)
4. Emile Poirier (52.73%)
5. Morgan Klimchuk (53.45%)
6. Markus Granlund (37.84%)
7. Jon Gillies (36.84%)
8. Mark Jankowski (43.66%)
9. Tyler Wotherspoon (56.52%)
10. Max Reinhart (63.33%)

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Didn't know where to put this... But went a little thread searching (for fun), and look at our top ten 10 prospects ten and a half years ago (12/22/03)!

1. Dion Phaneuf (top pair defenceman)
2. Eric Nystrom (bottom 6 grit winger)
3. Tim Ramholt (bust)
4. Brent Krahn (bust)
5. Andrei Medvedev (bust)
6. Andrei Taratukhin (tie) (bust)
6. Yuri Trubachev (tie) (bust
8. Curtis McElhinney (backup goalie)
9. Mike Commodore (bottom pair D, with greatest hair ever)
10. Dany Sabourin (backup

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=37981

hopefully this crop will do better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad