Confirmed with Link: Calgary Flames hire Glen Gulutzan as head coach

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Good for Gulutzan. I think he's a good guy to have around your coaching staff, but I don't think the Canucks will miss him. I don't see him as an inventive coach or anything. Just a solid nice guy. And I'm not sure how many of his ideas got through to Willie. Gully doesn't seem like the assertive type.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Good luck in Calgary Gully!

Yes, good luck!
I'm a little surprised at the mild comments on the Calgary board about this, tho. Imagine had we had a disappointing season (ok, no imagination required there!) and found our next coach from one of the teams below us in the standings, from one of our hated rivals. I would imagine this board would be pretty fiery...

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
If he ran our PK and was the guy the players, especially the young ones, liked the best, then we'll probably be even worse from a coaching perspective next year (lol). At least it'll feed the tank.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Did the Canucks have two better coaches under our head coach? I'd honestly rather have Green or Gulutzan

We don't know. In Dallas, it wasn't an uncommon belief that Willie should have gotten the job instead of Gully. Personally, I would rather roll the dice with Green than Gully.

If he ran our PK and was the guy the players, especially the young ones, liked the best, then we'll probably be even worse from a coaching perspective next year (lol). At least it'll feed the tank.

The assistant/associate coach is usually the most liked guy. It likely won't make much of a difference. As an assistant, Gully has made the playoffs once in 3 years.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
interesting that torts, sully, and gully all have head coaching jobs now. i don't think willie will ever be in charge again when the regime change inevitably comes.

on the other hand, i said the same thing about torts so...

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Yes, good luck!
I'm a little surprised at the mild comments on the Calgary board about this, tho. Imagine had we had a disappointing season (ok, no imagination required there!) and found our next coach from one of the teams below us in the standings, from one of our hated rivals. I would imagine this board would be pretty fiery...
Yup. One fanbase is willing to wait and see what happens while one greets every piece of news with doomsday negativity.

Calgary fans are taking a "wait and see" approach to this questionable hire.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
interesting that torts, sully, and gully all have head coaching jobs now. i don't think willie will ever be in charge again when the regime change inevitably comes.

willie made his bed when horvat had a 10 game point streak and said baertschi was taking him away from his game.

coaching change is to spur ticket sales when they enevitably underperform again. although lucic guddy larsen in weber bartkowski vrbata out along with virtanen horvaf hutton tryamkin could suprise us

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I still find it funny he gets 'credit' for working with Kassian. I'm not so sure that one is too high on his resume.

HarvP19

Nov 19, 2014
what i find funny is that when torts fiasco happened against calgary, Gully was trying to keep both teams separated in front of the locker room.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Two assistants, Mike Sullivan and Glen Gulatzen, who've moved on to much better things...too bad nobody seemed to recognize their potential when they were in Vancouver....seems certain now that Green is next head coach when the inevitable happens and Willie gets gonged.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

He's like 60? He might just retire.

Don't have an opinion of gulutzan. Also agree with others that 3 coaches is enough.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yup. One fanbase is willing to wait and see what happens while one greets every piece of news with doomsday negativity.

Calgary fans are taking a "wait and see" approach to this questionable hire.

Because it rationally warrants it. They literally have zero context for how Gulutzan will coach the Calgary Flames. They may know how he'd coach the 2011-13 Dallas Stars, but it's a totally different situation.

Meanwhile, we have fans waiting to see how Sbisa will develop and thinking Brandon Sutter just needed a change of scenery to magically become a 25-goal scorer.

You could be on the Titanic and do the "wait and see" approach, see how that works out. Maybe every single one of our guys' moves will turn out like Baertschi has. Or maybe it won't.

I guess it is easier being in your shoes, though. Whatever happens you can just say you predicted it all along because you never took a strong stance towards either side and then suddenly you're the genius when all you really did is do nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad