Confirmed with Link: Calgary Flames hire Glen Gulutzan as head coach

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

I know a lot of people won't care, but he did a pretty good job with the PK and was one of the few/only people willing to work with Kassian. I'm very interested to see how this will affect the team next year since I don't think very highly of Willie or Lidster. This probably also opens up a spot for Travis Green.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Always liked Gully. Seemed like a level-headed guy that was good at working with younger players, and was impressed he lasted through a couple different coaching regimes. Seems like he has a good reputation throughout the league.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Didn't really care for him here, and don't particularly like what he's done as a head coach in the NHL. Only ****** thing about this is it probably means Green will be promoted as an assistant coach here, and Troy Ward will be hired to coach Utica. I want fewer Benning Bros. Not more.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Didn't really care for him here, and don't particularly like what he's done as a head coach in the NHL. Only ****** thing about this is it probably means Green will be promoted as an assistant coach here, and Troy Ward will be hired to coach Utica. I want fewer Benning Bros. Not more.

From everything I've heard it sounds like Green prefers to stay in Utica until he can find a NHL HC position. I wouldn't rule out Ward getting a look at the vacant AC position though.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Best of luck to Gulutzan, who seems like a nice guy. Don't think his relationships with the younger players coming on board can really be overstated.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
We had four bench coaches last year so I doubt we replace him. Probably just means a larger role for Lidster and Pearn. It's a shame as out of those 4 Gully was definitely the one I liked the most. He had the least negative impact on us and had some pretty nice hair.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Gully seemed like a good guy and the players liked him. It's always nice to see someone get another opportunity, so hopefully Treliving and Burke are able to give him a workable roster.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I'm glad Gully helped with the young guys but as for his coaching skills here I was never really more than meh about him. I wish him the best luck in Calgary, I hope he can succeed.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
John Shannon of Sportsnet reported Green is staying as the Utica coach and the Canucks are looking for a new assistant. This is good news, Green did wonders for the prospects in Utica.

Did Glen run both special teams or just PK? This team definitely needs an upgrade on the PP system.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Why do the Canucks even need another assistant? We already have Lidster and Pearn, not that I'm a fan of either of them. Do we really need 4 bench bosses? How well did that work for us last year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad