GDT: Calgary Flames @ Columbus Blue Jackets, 5PM on SNET-W and the Fan 960

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
T.J. Brodie is so unbelievably smooth it's not even funny. This team is actually fun to watch. Even if they had lost tonight, it was awesome seeing how aggressive the defensemen were when facing opposing forwards coming at the blue line. It led to a goal by Columbus but atleast they were pressuring.

The team did a great job of protecting Irving, who looked a tad shaky. But he got it done and that's what counts. I can't say if they'll make the playoffs or draft in the top 5, but this team is actually fun to watch and I find I'm not insanely bored out of my mind.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Also, call up Roman Horak ASAP. Comeau has no place in the top 9. Hopefully Cammy and Backs are okay though.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Also, call up Roman Horak ASAP. Comeau has no place in the top 9. Hopefully Cammy and Backs are okay though.

Reports saying Backlund might miss some time, he'll probably get a check-up tommorow. And Cammalleri is also a possiblity to miss the Canucks game, lets hope not. And please call up Horak or Street.. I want Comeau off this team

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

I'm very dissapointed in Comeau. When he signed his contract, he said he was going to have a better year. I guess he will never regain his 35+ pt (pace) form

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I'm very dissapointed in Comeau. When he signed his contract, he said he was going to have a better year. I guess he will never regain his 35+ pt (pace) form

It's hard when you're playing 4th line minutes and being rotated in and out. Our only solid 4th liner is Jones.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
With that win, the Flames now sit in 12th, tied with three other teams at 8 points, but have the fewest games played of them. Assuming Nashville holds on to be LA.

Now, I don't want to take all the credit for the team's recent success, but I did watch Moneyball 3 times last week so it's no coincidence. I suggest you all do the same.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Great game, quick hit.
10-11-24 -> Goal.

Boom, nuff said Stajan lovers.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Great game, quick hit.
10-11-24 -> Goal.

Boom, nuff said Stajan lovers.

How many goals have "10-18-24" scored? Boom, nuff said Stajan hater.

And to add to that, no one ever said it wouldn't work, we all said the exact same thing, don't fix something that isn't broken, why take Staj away from people he's actually gelling with and producing, when you could have them, and Backlund producing on different lines.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
How many goals have "10-18-24" scored? Boom, nuff said Stajan hater.

And to add to that, no one ever said it wouldn't work, we all said the exact same thing, don't fix something that isn't broken, why take Staj away from people he's actually gelling with and producing, when you could have them, and Backlund producing on different lines.

I think a lot of you are short sighted. Not in a bad way, just in a "Our team does no wrong!" way.
Skill goes to skill, set up goes to shooters.

That line would produce even if you had a plug in the middle of the two Czechs, they are: that good. Stajan doesn't serve the line as well as Backlund can, simply because he isn't a really creative, hard nosed, space making player; he drives the net poorly and seems to be a waste of space most of the time. The only thing he can do is win some faceoffs and put the puck on the stick of one of the two offensive players... and not in a "oh ****, nice setup" type of way more of a "Here's the puck, go do something so I can get an assist please" type way.

Skill goes with skill, Backlund's got more skill and can play with higher end players better. Stajan's better off playing with players that are more suited to his playstyle: Re: Glencross/Stemp/Comeau. All three of those guys aren't looking to dazzle, aren't looking to do something sick. They're all looking to fire on the net and drive hard. That's a more defensive line anyways, and I'm happy having those three out against any top line in the NHL.

Now, why I said short sighted. This summer, Stajan's the buyout candidate. I don't think he has a place on this team in the future; and I'm sure mostly anyone outside of some of you die hard Matty/Flames fanatics would agree. So why try and make chemistry between three people when one of them isn't in the cards for the future. Instead, get Backlund to gel with the Czechs. You can get them all under contract for a nice number of years and watch the line go. Calgary's got to clear cap at the end of the year anyways, and I think it starts with the 3.5 million Mr. Stajan gets.

Trae

Calgary
How do you guys pronounce Tanguay?

I think it should be Tawn-gay but all the announcers seem to say Tang-gay.

I tend to mix it up a bit, I catch myself between both, my grandpa is French and pronounces it the latter. I also have to admit, I have more fun saying "tang-gay". Though when I actually say it, it's more like "tan-gay", without that "g".

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think a lot of you are short sighted. Not in a bad way, just in a "Our team does no wrong!" way.

That line would produce even if you had a plug in the middle of the two Czechs, they are: that good. Stajan doesn't serve the line as well as Backlund can, simply because he isn't a really creative, hard nosed, space making player; he drives the net poorly and seems to be a waste of space most of the time. The only thing he can do is win some faceoffs and put the puck on the stick of one of the two offensive players... and not in a "oh ****, nice setup" type of way more of a "Here's the puck, go do something so I can get an assist please" type way.

Skill goes with skill, Backlund's got more skill and can play with higher end players better. Stajan's better off playing with players that are more suited to his playstyle: Re: Glencross/Stemp/Comeau. All three of those guys aren't looking to dazzle, aren't looking to do something sick. They're all looking to fire on the net and drive hard. That's a more defensive line anyways, and I'm happy having those three out against any top line in the NHL.

Now, why I said short sighted. This summer, Stajan's the buyout candidate. I don't think he has a place on this team in the future; and I'm sure mostly anyone outside of some of you die hard Matty/Flames fanatics would agree. So why try and make chemistry between three people when one of them isn't in the cards for the future. Instead, get Backlund to gel with the Czechs. You can get them all under contract for a nice number of years and watch the line go. Calgary's got to clear cap at the end of the year anyways, and I think it starts with the 3.5 million Mr. Stajan gets.

Backlund plays with skill better than Stajan based on what? Stajan produces around a 55-60 point pace in an 82 game season when with skill I highly doubt Backlund out produces that.

Stajan is a better faceoff center giving the Czechs the puck more often and allowing for a more offensive shift. Stajan is also a better defensive forward allowing the Czechs to focus on playing offensively and allowing them to take more chances.

While Backlund maybe a more skilled player there is nothing that says he would be a better fit on that line, nor does his goal which was nice positioning but nothing Stajan couldn't have done if he is on the ice.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

While I really want Backlund to succeed and get a lot more ice time, you're understating the importance of winning faceoffs and selling Stajan short; he's been good this season and it's not just because he's playing with Cervenka and Hudler.

Also, don't get your hopes up on Stajan getting bought out. Feaster's already made it pretty clear that that's not going happen. If they really want to get rid of a player, they'll ship them off with a pick, most likely a 2nd, to make it happen.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
How do you guys pronounce Tanguay?

I think it should be Tawn-gay but all the announcers seem to say Tang-gay.

On a post game interview after he came back to the Flames, he said it's pronounced "tong-gay" so like your first pronunciation but he's used to people calling him "tang-gay". Actually the way he said it, it sounded more like "dong-gay".

This is way off :laugh:

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
On a post game interview after he came back to the Flames, he said it's pronounced "tong-gay" so like your first pronunciation but he's used to people calling him "tang-gay". Actually the way he said it, it sounded more like "dong-gay".

If you pronounce it with a french accent, "tong-gay" makes sense, kinda like this:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
While I really want Backlund to succeed and get a lot more ice time, you're understating the importance of winning faceoffs and selling Stajan short; he's been good this season and it's not just because he's playing with Cervenka and Hudler.

Also, don't get your hopes up on Stajan getting bought out. Feaster's already made it pretty clear that that's not going happen. If they really want to get rid of a player, they'll ship them off with a pick, most likely a 2nd, to make it happen.

3.5 Million on a cap, for a third line center.
You could throw Stajan on waives and no one would probably take him. Forget the second round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad