Calgary Flames 2014 Draft Thread Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Reading the 1st overall vs 3 1st round picks thread in the trade forum got me thinking..

Would you make that trade today?

Would you rather have Mackinnon over Monahan, Klimchuk, Poirier?

Yes. Mackinnon has 50 points in 60 games and just broke Gretzky's record for longest point streak by an 18 year old. I would take Mackinnon any day. We still don't even know what Klimchuk or Poirier would amount to. Mackinnon's gonna be one of the top 5 forwards in the NHL in a few years.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Yes. Mackinnon has 50 points in 60 games and just broke Gretzky's record for longest point streak by an 18 year old. I would take Mackinnon any day. We still don't even know what Klimchuk or Poirier would amount to. Mackinnon's gonna be one of the top 5 forwards in the NHL in a few years.

Have to agree given what we know. However, it's still possible that the sum of Monahan/Poirier/Klimchuk ends up being more valuable (at least, to the Flames) than a single MacKinnon. We won't know that for years, though.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Have to agree given what we know. However, it's still possible that the sum of Monahan/Poirier/Klimchuk ends up being more valuable (at least, to the Flames) than a single MacKinnon. We won't know that for years, though.

While a definite possibility, MacKinnon being better than the sum of the parts is a much stronger probability. I'd have to take that TBH.

Not that Monahan/Poirier/Klimchuk is bad by any means lol.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Reading the 1st overall vs 3 1st round picks thread in the trade forum got me thinking..

Only the lack of depth in the Flames' prospect pool is why I hesitate, but absolutely I would rather have The Great Nate. Given the Flames would have needed to add, I imagine a name like Baertschi or Gaudreau (or both?) might have been needed to acquire him, which is a much harder sell.

That said, I'm not unhappy with the pieces we have.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Mackinnon would have definitely been better for Calgary but at the same time, you have to consider what Calgary needs more. Our prospects aren't the best in the league and we literally have almost no talent in the NHL right now. Even though adding Mackinnon would be nice, adding 2 top 6 players and a number 1 center could be more beneficial in the long run. One elite guy helps out a team but on a team with no depth, adding three great forwards, pretty much an entire 1st/2nd line, is a lot more beneficial

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
I would have made the trade strictly for the media ****-storm about Taylor vs Tyler all over again

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

No way.
Cannot believe what I'm reading.

I remember how much all of you **** on me when I complained about winning a couple extra games last year and getting this kid. With you especially banging the Monahan drum along with some other dude I forget. Mack is the real deal; and for a couple wins last season he could have been ours without this trade.

I would trade all three for Mack in an instant. Monahan will be a good player, Poirier might either be a big time player or third liner... and God knows about Klimchuk.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
can anyone tell me about Vrana?

he's a nice smooth skate with good acceleration. Confident and creative on the puck. His best asset is his vision and IQ. He sees how the play is developing. Makes good strong accurate passes. Has a very nice, quick shot with unorthodox form. Should go 23-30.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wonder if the tradition with Klimchuk will continue of being our franchise player.

We traded Nilsson for Niewy, Niewy for Iggy, now Iggy for Klimchuk. He better keep the streak going!

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

Without a doubt MacKinnon. In his prime, he will provide elite scoring ability on a level rarely replicated. On a microcosmic scale, it's like asking whether you'd like to have Stempniak, Stajan and Glencross or Jamie Benn. The answer's pretty simple.

On the other hand though, are we sure the Flames wouldn't've picked Jones?

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
What about Jankowski, Sieloff vs Gergensons

Trade from 2012 draft

And Seguin or Monahan. We were offered that weren't we

I'd still make the Janks/Sieloff for Girgensons trade. I think Sieloff alone is going to be as valuable to this organization as Girgensons will be to Buffalo. Adding Jankowski just sweetens the deal.

Monahan over Seguin. They will probably be about as good as one another, they just play different games. I think Monahan provides play to this team that Seguin could not, though, in his defensive game, and that's a playing style we need. I also think Monahan's intangibles and his leadership skills are off the charts. Add that to the fact that I think that considering their ceiling and draft position, he and MacKinnon are having the most impressive rookie seasons from the 2013 class and that Monahan still has a lot to show us. Players like Sean are a lot rarer than players like Tyler.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
No way.
Cannot believe what I'm reading.

I remember how much all of you **** on me when I complained about winning a couple extra games last year and getting this kid. With you especially banging the Monahan drum along with some other dude I forget. Mack is the real deal; and for a couple wins last season he could have been ours without this trade.

I would trade all three for Mack in an instant. Monahan will be a good player, Poirier might either be a big time player or third liner... and God knows about Klimchuk.

I don't think those were honest reactions. People will rationalize all day long to accommodate new circumstances, and a lot of people reconciled their desire to see the team win with the detriment to draft position by pumping up Monahan in comparison to the other players. Had the Flames been losing those last few games, we'd absolutely have seen full support for one of the top 4 guys (any of whom could have gone 1st overall, realistically).

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
2014 FLAMES MOCK DRAFT
a couple quick notes
•since in the NYI GDT poll most people said Isles would get higher pick so the Flames will pick 5th overall
•I'll use FC rankings. Can't pick anyone before that pick. The top 30 is a bit above
•I'll take my 2nd pick outside of Ritchie for top pick
•I traded T.J Galiardi for a 4th
•I'll give also if we traded 2nds/3rd for late 1st who I'd pick
Let's start

5th. LEON DRAISAITL C, PRINCE ALBERT WHL
52-26-52-78-20 (GP-G-A-PTS-PIM this year)•6"2, 210 lbs
Draisaitl is an elite two way Centre who's been compared to Joe Thorton and Anze Kopitar. He make the players around him so much better. His awareness and anticipation are at a NHL level. His backhand is the best in the draft. He competes hard and will be in the NHL next year
Option 3: Michael Dal Colle

25th. CONNOR BLEACKLEY C, RED DEER WHL
60-26-37-63-43•6"1, 195 lbs
Connor is a trong skater, hard to push off the puck. He uses a combo of size, strength and speed. A very good 200 ft player. Has quick hands. Hard ahot with quick release. Very good at finding open spaces and getting between/behind the defence
Option 2-Anton Karlsson

35th. JACK DOUGHERTY D, USHL
16-4-7-11-14•6"1, 185 lbs
Heading to the U of Wisconsin in 2014/2015 Dougherty is a very smart defenceman. He's quick on skates and knows when to join the rush yet can throw his wait around with a huge hit. Finds lanes on PP and has a strong first breakout pass.
Option 2-Jayce Hawluryuk

54th. MATT MISTELE LW, PLYMOUTH OHL
50-15-18-32-48•6"2, 183 lbs
Big, chippy player that scores around the net. Plays a 200 ft game. Crashes the net hard. Good hand eye. Play on PP and PK. Very effectivly screens goalie. Works hard on and off the ice. Has some offensive upside. One of the best shots in the draft. Typical Burke player.
Option 2-Ben Thomas

65th. JACOB MIDDELTON D, OTTAWA OHL
59-2-20-22-62•6"4, 191 lbs
Good 2 way Dman. Primarily offensive. Can QB the PP. Makes good stretch passes out of the zone. Good offensive vision. Throws his body around. Plus Monahan gets a friend in the locker room

86. RYAN MANTHA D, USHL
12-2-2-4-6•6"4, 215 lbs
Great size. Uses it well with long reach. Clears front of the net. Good offensive skill. Good breakout passes, would play on PP on wing. Has to improve mobility and strength. If he does that he'll be a real steal and will be a top 4 Dman

104. C.J FRANKLAND RW, USHL
44-16-27-43-33•5"11, 190 lbs
Franklin is a complete player. Has speed and a nice shot. He's very athletic. Very consistent

179. NOLAN STEVENS C, USHL
18-3-5-8-6•6"3, 183 lbs
Very creative, quick stickhandler. Good passing. Best asset is IQ and work ethic. Not afraid to get dirty

185. SEBATION FUCHS LW, NAHL
39-8-18-26-12•5"10, 170 lbs
Very fast, knows where th puck is going. Soft hands. Long term project

UNDRAFTED FA'S
Duncan MacIntyre D, Quebec QMJHL
Linden Penner RW, Everett WHL
Nikki Petti C, Bellville OHL

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That would be pretty amazing, heres hoping.

Honestly, you just never know. Niewy was a 2nd round pick, he probably wasn't expected to be the player he became. Klimchuk isn't either, he's incredibly smart and has very nice skills. I truly believe his ultimate upside is Parise, his floor is Stempniak.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
2014 FLAMES MOCK DRAFT
a couple quick notes
•since in the NYI GDT poll most people said Isles would get higher pick so the Flames will pick 5th overall
•I'll use FC rankings. Can't pick anyone before that pick. The top 30 is a bit above
•I'll take my 2nd pick outside of Ritchie for top pick
•I traded T.J Galiardi for a 4th
•I'll give also if we traded 2nds/3rd for late 1st who I'd pick
Let's start

5th. LEON DRAISAITL C, PRINCE ALBERT WHL
52-26-52-78-20 (GP-G-A-PTS-PIM this year)•6"2, 210 lbs
Draisaitl is an elite two way Centre who's been compared to Joe Thorton and Anze Kopitar. He make the players around him so much better. His awareness and anticipation are at a NHL level. His backhand is the best in the draft. He competes hard and will be in the NHL next year
Option 3: Michael Dal Colle

25th. CONNOR BLEACKLEY C, RED DEER WHL Vrana or A Karlsson
60-26-37-63-43•6"1, 195 lbs
Connor is a trong skater, hard to push off the puck. He uses a combo of size, strength and speed. A very good 200 ft player. Has quick hands. Hard ahot with quick release. Very good at finding open spaces and getting between/behind the defence
Option 2-Anton Karlsson

35th. JACK DOUGHERTY D, USHL
16-4-7-11-14•6"1, 185 lbs
Heading to the U of Wisconsin in 2014/2015 Dougherty is a very smart defenceman. He's quick on skates and knows when to join the rush yet can throw his wait around with a huge hit. Finds lanes on PP and has a strong first breakout pass.
Option 2-Jayce Hawluryuk

54th. MATT MISTELE LW, PLYMOUTH OHL
50-15-18-32-48•6"2, 183 lbs
Big, chippy player that scores around the net. Plays a 200 ft game. Crashes the net hard. Good hand eye. Play on PP and PK. Very effectivly screens goalie. Works hard on and off the ice. Has some offensive upside. One of the best shots in the draft. Typical Burke player.
Option 2-Ben Thomas

65th. JACOB MIDDELTON D, OTTAWA OHL Jack Glover
59-2-20-22-62•6"4, 191 lbs
Good 2 way Dman. Primarily offensive. Can QB the PP. Makes good stretch passes out of the zone. Good offensive vision. Throws his body around. Plus Monahan gets a friend in the locker room

86. RYAN MANTHA D, USHL Blake Clarke
12-2-2-4-6•6"4, 215 lbs
Great size. Uses it well with long reach. Clears front of the net. Good offensive skill. Good breakout passes, would play on PP on wing. Has to improve mobility and strength. If he does that he'll be a real steal and will be a top 4 Dman

104. C.J FRANKLAND RW, USHL
44-16-27-43-33•5"11, 190 lbs
Franklin is a complete player. Has speed and a nice shot. He's very athletic. Very consistent

179. NOLAN STEVENS C, USHL
18-3-5-8-6•6"3, 183 lbs
Very creative, quick stickhandler. Good passing. Best asset is IQ and work ethic. Not afraid to get dirty

185. SEBATION FUCHS LW, NAHL
39-8-18-26-12•5"10, 170 lbs
Very fast, knows where th puck is going. Soft hands. Long term project

UNDRAFTED FA'S
Duncan MacIntyre D, Quebec QMJHL
Linden Penner RW, Everett WHL
Nikki Petti C, Bellville OHL

Bolded is who I would pick.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I like Vrana and Karlsson. It was a toss up between Karlsson and Bleackley. Vrana's my 3rd pick

I like Glober as well but Middleton better

Don't know much about Clarke

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
McDavid will be better then Mackinnon so it will work out in the end. ;)

Seriously though, the Flames deserve some draft day luck in regards to getting the 1st overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad