OT: Calgary almost made the biggest blunder of all time by signing ROR

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
This just underlies the issue with the inherent system of professional sports. I'd argue there are way more savvy, knowledgeable people out there that would treat their jobs (i.e hockey operations, cap management, etc.) as a science but right now, it's a perpetuation of archaic theories + the old boys club.

I felt the same way about Burke and his refusal to accept advanced metrics and its eventual evolution into hockey (or self-imposed handicap of handing out certain contracts), the same way it has made a huge impact in sports like basketball and baseball. Management teams evolve, just like the game has evolved (i.e see how much of a requisite skating is in today's league).

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Notice that the offer sheet was only for two years. Seems unusually short term. By matching it, the Avs are not allowed to trade ROR for a year.
It looks like the Avs just bought themselves some time to try convincing him to sign long term. If they can't convince him, they can auction him off next time around.

I feel like there are details of this whole situation that are never going to be 'official'.

Let me put my tinfoil hat on and agree with you there. I think there is more to this than "we" will ever know. And if there isn't then the Avalanche screwed up as well. You have Calgary coming into your rink and offer sheeting your guy just as the game starts. This is showmanship and wouldn't really go down well with most management teams. Now the Avalanche has a certain amount of time to match said offer. If they knew that Calgary had to put ROR on waivers why not sit on the offer for a bit and leak it out about the waivers. Let the GM who tried to screw you sweat it for a bit as some pay back or worse work out a deal where you agree to sign ROR as long as Calgary does a deal in your favour but not nearly as bad as losing the picks.

So I think either this whole thing was orchestrated or the Avalanche didn't know about the clause either.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
So I guess we now know why no other GM offersheeted him earlier :laugh:

Other GMs 2 months ago: "ROR is available should we offersheet him?" "no, he would have to go on waivers"
Feaster yesterday morning: "ROR is still unsigned? Can't believe I'm the first to notice this! I have to offersheet him quick before someone else does!"

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
Someone on the main board said he was listening to the Fan and they said the Avs hadn't filed the paperwork, and may not have officially matched.

Please let this be true. Imagine the drama.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Someone on the main board said he was listening to the fan and the Avs hadn't filed the paperwork, and may not have officially matched.

Avs go in tank mode, get in last place in the league. Choose not to accept, get the picks, Calgary has to put on waivers, Colorado claims him :laugh:

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Someone on the main board said he was listening to the Fan and they said the Avs hadn't filed the paperwork, and may not have officially matched.

If this is true then Sherman is at the local drug store picking out his favorite lube.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011

Haha, YES! Please be true.

RRiz3.gif

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Man, in that case Feaster must be crapping bricks at the moment. I still think the Avs will match though, as they are looking for roster player(s) for ROR and not simply picks, and I don't think they want ROR going to the CBJ on the waiver wire. But Sherman might try to put the squeeze on Feaster to get more than those picks for ROR: 1st, 3rd and Giordano -- how about that? :laugh:

Keeping it Blue

Dec 13, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I know it's cool and all to make fun of Feaster, but it's an easy mistake to make. Had he signed Vancouver's RFA contract instead of Calgary, Gillis would be in the same boat.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
I know it's cool and all to make fun of Feaster, but it's an easy mistake to make. Had he signed Vancouver's RFA contract instead of Calgary, Gillis would be in the same boat.

Where did you read Gillis sent an OS?

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Let me put my tinfoil hat on and agree with you there. I think there is more to this than "we" will ever know. And if there isn't then the Avalanche screwed up as well. You have Calgary coming into your rink and offer sheeting your guy just as the game starts. This is showmanship and wouldn't really go down well with most management teams. Now the Avalanche has a certain amount of time to match said offer. If they knew that Calgary had to put ROR on waivers why not sit on the offer for a bit and leak it out about the waivers. Let the GM who tried to screw you sweat it for a bit as some pay back or worse work out a deal where you agree to sign ROR as long as Calgary does a deal in your favour but not nearly as bad as losing the picks.

So I think either this whole thing was orchestrated or the Avalanche didn't know about the clause either.

Also interesting that the earliest the Avs are allowed to trade O'Rielly is Feb 28th next year. Just so happens to be right around the time that the trade deadline occurs.
This whole thing just seems to have worked out so well for the Avs. They couldn't convince ROR to play for them and now he has no choice. He's also signed to a reasonable contract. If this was orchestrated behind the scenes, then Greg Sherman(who apparently is the Avs GM) is a genius.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I wonder if Colorado just told the Flames to put in an offer just so they can match and end this debacle.

Penalty Kill Icing*

As far as I Know, both canucks and ROR agent have denied about Canucks filing an offer sheet.

And regardless of it being Gillis, Feaster or Nonis, you can't make this mistake. As a GM, you get paid for taking care of things like this.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Let's see how ROR does on his new shiny contract before we say who made the bigger mistake.

If he fails to produce, it's two years and the Avs can let him go. If he excels Avs can try to re-sign him, and, failing that, they auction him off to the highest bidder.

Avs just bought themselves some time, thanks to Calgary, to see which way things go.

At worst they waste two years and some cash on him.

SteveV*

Why didn't anyone else note this prior to the offer sheet? Where we all the geniuses before to warn us of this fact?

Egoclapper

Dec 21, 2010
This just underlies the issue with the inherent system of professional sports. I'd argue there are way more savvy, knowledgeable people out there that would treat their jobs (i.e hockey operations, cap management, etc.) as a science but right now, it's a perpetuation of archaic theories + the old boys club.

I felt the same way about Burke and his refusal to accept advanced metrics and its eventual evolution into hockey (or self-imposed handicap of handing out certain contracts), the same way it has made a huge impact in sports like basketball and baseball. Management teams evolve, just like the game has evolved (i.e see how much of a requisite skating is in today's league).
Burke had a lot of philosophies from the Jurassic period that obviously didn't work, he was slow to adapt and didn't survive.

In 2009-10, he did had still not figured out how the cap worked and mismanaged the Leafs payroll leading to $1.4 in cap overages that would carry over to 2010-11. Chicago took a $4.1 million cap overage when they won the cup in 2009-10 but the Leafs were 2nd last, there was no excuse to waste cap space like that.

What happened to this clown that was getting paid $3 million per year? Did he get fired? Nope, it was hardly brought up by the media and Burke hired Claude Loiselle at the end of the 2009-10 season as a "capologist" to ensure he didn't **** up again.

Dale Tallon is another GM that ****s up quite a bit. Jay Feaster is on that list. It makes no sense to me.

Egoclapper

Dec 21, 2010
Why didn't anyone else note this prior to the offer sheet? Where we all the geniuses before to warn us of this fact?
I'm surprised not a single writer or TV analyst found this. It's downright embarrassing Jay Feaster didn't. They are all expected to do their due diligence.

I don't expect fans to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad