OT: Calgary almost made the biggest blunder of all time by signing ROR

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
That would have been epic. The Avs should have taken the compensation just to **** Feaster over. God I wish general managers acted on spite more often!

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
To be fair though CBA clearly says that if you trade for RFAs or sign your own RFAs they are exempt from CBA 13.23.
I don't see how NHL can argue that RoR should go through waiver in this case.
The moment RoR signed OS he should either be deemed Calgary's RFA that they signed to contract or be deemed RFA Calgary has traded for (picks as compensation).
I don't see NHL winning its argument in arbitrage. So Calgary was more or less safe from that front.
Still it was huge gamble by them seeing as they are not in playoff position and even blew 3 gals lead yesterday. They could easily be in lottery and even win it for first overall.

CA though is really in tough. They were stupid to match so quickly. Could have held the gun to Calgary's guts. Even without this waiver drama they cannot trade RoR now this year or next as one year trade restriction will force them past next year trade deadline. And then what? As RFA then RoR will be entitled to $6.5M QUALIFYING OFFER. I don't think CA will extend it to him and he will be essentially UFA after next season and they will lose him for nothing. Good luck getting 1st and 3rd round picks for him then.

Calgary would have been in the same situation too.

These GMs are just don't know what whey are doing. :shakehead

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...rk-before-oreilly-offer-sheet/article9226312/

At issue is Article 13.23 of the collective bargaining agreement, which states that a professional or former professional player that played in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL regular season must clear waivers before playing in the NHL that same season.

The worst situation would be, according to this, that O'Reilly would not have been able to play this season.

The NHL declined to clarify whether O’Reilly would have had to clear waivers if the Avalanche refused to match Calgary’s offer sheet.

“We agree with the Flames in the sense that the entire issue has become an academic point,†NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in an email to The Canadian Press. “Ryan O’Reilly has signed a contract with the Colorado Avalanche and the contract has been registered. We have nothing further to say on the subject.â€

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Not to mention right now that pick would be 6th overall in a great great draft especially near the top (6-7).

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
I see it that Feaster was doing the Avs a favor. No suprise Feaster was in Colorado the day (and the day before) the offer sheet was signed and matched

This is the only thing that makes any sense. Could both GM's have been that stupid?

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I honestly don't think Jay Feaster knows what the **** is going on around him

First that insane decision at the draft, then he lets Jokinen walk over a measly 1.5 mil, and now he's proven he doesn't understand the rules to one of the only important bills in his domain.

I'm very glad I am not a Flames fan, because I don't know if I could actually put money into a team that makes those kinds of decisions. Feaster is embarrassing himself, and has done an amazing job of it over the last year

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
WOW . who messed up harder, Calgary by offer sheeting him or Colorado for not taking the compensation ?

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
I think this looks worse on the Avs. They had two options..

1. Used the loophole as leverage against ROR and anounced it to the league, since Calgary wasn't the only team that didn't know it.

2. Used it as leverage to get more out of Calgary.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I would rather take word of Bobby Mac, who simply put that Flames were obligated to put him on waivers (even if they didn't intend to play him this season).

I can only go by what is written.

At issue is Article 13.23 of the collective bargaining agreement, which states that a professional or former professional player that played in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL regular season must clear waivers before playing in the NHL that same season.

I don't have anything more than this statement. If this is the rule it is very clear in this statement, "in the NHL that same season."

That explicitly states "same season."

If Bobby has something else in writing I'll go with that. Written >>>>>>> spoken.

further on tsn:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417108

While Article 13:23 in the pre-2012-13 CBA specified that any player who plays in Europe after start of NHL regular season needs to clear waivers to play in the same season in the NHL, the recent Memorandum of Understanding between the league and Players' Association says all players on a club's reserve list and RFA list will be exempt from the application of 13:23.

Therefore, teams can now sign their own restricted free agents or draft picks out of Europe in mid-season and get them into their NHL lineup without risking them being plucked off the wire.

It says to get them into the line in the same season.

Last edited:

mikebel111*

Omg at this story, ya, probably the biggest error avoided in the nhl.
Flames=2007 leafs

ungentrified

Jan 18, 2013
ni6xRXh.jpg

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
There were supposedly 4 offer sheets from different teams; Calgary happened to be the one taken. We could be making fun of any of these 3 other GMs right now. Obviously the rule was not very clear; heck, the media were all over this ROR situation before the offersheet; this never came up.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I think this looks worse on the Avs. They had two options..

1. Used the loophole as leverage against ROR and anounced it to the league, since Calgary wasn't the only team that didn't know it.

2. Used it as leverage to get more out of Calgary.

once ROR signed the offersheet there was no getting more from calgary nor did it give Colorado leveage on ROR as he cant sign a different contract, after ROR signed the offersheet the only thing Colorado could do was match or take the built in compensation the CBA states they get for the contract offered.

the only possible outcome is colorado could have went to columbus and got them to give them something extra to not match so they could claim him being the team with the worst record and would get first dibs on players who go to waivers.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
once ROR signed the offersheet there was no getting more from calgary nor did it give Colorado leveage on ROR as he cant sign a different contract, after ROR signed the offersheet the only thing Colorado could do was match or take the built in compensation the CBA states they get for the contract offered.

the only possible outcome is colorado could have went to columbus and got them to give them something extra to not match so they could claim him being the team with the worst record and would get first dibs on players who go to waivers.

for #1 he means they could have announced it to all teams before any offer sheet was signed. This would have meant that nobody would have signed him to an offer sheet and left ror completely in their hands. Ror would have had no other choice but sign to what colarado wanted him to.

for #2 he means they could have made Calgary aware of the siuation after they signed and blackmailed them into doing a seperate bad trade so that they would match and Calgary wouldn't lose their picks. Something like Baertschi for a 7th and Colarado matches so Calgary gets to keep their picks and not lose them for nothing. Basicaly similar to what Colarado could do with Columbus except the opposite.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Notice that the offer sheet was only for two years. Seems unusually short term. By matching it, the Avs are not allowed to trade ROR for a year.
It looks like the Avs just bought themselves some time to try convincing him to sign long term. If they can't convince him, they can auction him off next time around.

I feel like there are details of this whole situation that are never going to be 'official'.

If this is at all true they would have signed him when he was asking for 5.5 mill over 2 years, or well see a lopsided deal in Calgarys favour soon

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
My initial thought was that this could not be true ... that there must be something else at play here. Nope ... it was merely stupidity on the part of both sides. So much for the idea of informed professionals. Just wow.

Avec Fromage*

Feaster should be fired and ownership is delusional if they are supporting (or forcing) the delay of the team's inevitable rebuild. The western conference is very competitive and Calgary is sitting 14th.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
People claiming collusion need to look at the details a bit harder.

First of all Calgarys offer was basically a 2 year 12.5 million dollar deal when you factor in the 2.5 million signing bonus in the short season. If the Avs wanted to give him that kind of money they wouldn't need a third party to get a deal done.

Second, the reason its a 2 year deal is it allowed the backloading that kept the Cap hit manageable but would force the Avs to qualify ROR at the 6.5 when he becomes a RFA.

Third, the reason they did it on the 28th is, that is the expected trade deadline day next year. Since the Avs can't trade ROR for a year after matching it forced the Avs into making their decision immediately, because if they didn't they would have no ability to trade him until the Summer of 2015 when he would once again be an RFA.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Even though what Calgary needs is a centreman, I wonder if Nonis doesn't pick up the phone and trade a 1st and the 3rd and toss Kessel and someone else. I mean they're clearly happy to just almost give it away to Colorado for NOTHING - at least this way they'd have a winger.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
What would have happened if the Leafs traded for his rights?

Isn't there a whole bunch here who wanted the Leafs to trade Gardiner+ for his rights?

Gardiner was thrown around all over the place for ROR's rights.

A week ago it was if Gardiner was some sort of high priced betting chip on a roulette table

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Even though what Calgary needs is a centreman, I wonder if Nonis doesn't pick up the phone and trade a 1st and the 3rd and toss Kessel and someone else. I mean they're clearly happy to just almost give it away to Colorado for NOTHING - at least this way they'd have a winger.

Are you insane? Kessel alone is worth more than ROR. Don't undervalue our players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad